Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I keep having an issue on my iPhone X where if I haven’t used the app in a while and it has new content, tapping the first article thumbnail in a row takes me to the story for the second thumbnail. It’s as if the underlying link is still caching the previous article. Unless my touch screen is messed up, but I’m not having touch issues anywhere else on the phone.

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
I keep having an issue on my iPhone X where if I haven’t used the app in a while and it has new content, tapping the first article thumbnail in a row takes me to the story for the second thumbnail. It’s as if the underlying link is still caching the previous article. Unless my touch screen is messed up, but I’m not having touch issues anywhere else on the phone.
I noticed this as well recently and I think I've found the bug; I found one place in my code which was possibly wrong and could result in this behavior. When it happens is a bit random so I cannot 100% guarantee it is fixed now, but I haven't seen it again in my tests.

So in the next update the fix is in so you just need to wait a short while until then. :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I noticed this as well recently and I think I've found the bug; I found one place in my code which was possibly wrong and could result in this behavior. When it happens is a bit random so I cannot 100% guarantee it is fixed now, but I haven't seen it again in my tests.

So in the next update the fix is in so you just need to wait a short while until then. :)
thanks as always!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Heartfeed feature request!

I would love to be able to tap the photo in the preview article and then pinch to zoom it. Sometimes I don’t care about the article, or maybe I would, if I could take a quick closer look at the photo.

Sometimes there’s no body in the preview article; just the headline, “We review these top 5 gadgets” and a photo of the 5 gadgets. I’d prefer to just see the gadgets before deciding to load the webpage.

Doesn’t need to be the high res version found on the actual website. Just the one that loads on the preview.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
T

You implemented one my requested features! Woohoo :) I can now swipe back out of a safari view to the grid view. No more tapping Reachability just to hit "Done". Massive THANKS for the update.

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
Hey simmepi, another awesome update. It’s nearly perfect now, with swipe back.

The only thing I can think of to add would be to possibly allow the reader view to be disabled so it always goes to web view. I find that the reader view is often poorly formatted (I assume this is the fault of the feed, as some feeds are ok, but some are really bad). I know you can long press to get web view...I just always forget :).

Thanks again for your efforts.

Reactions: Redneck1089

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
T

You implemented one my requested features! Woohoo :) I can now swipe back out of a safari view to the grid view. No more tapping Reachability just to hit "Done". Massive THANKS for the update.
Glad you liked it! Now I only have to hope that the original iOS bu his truly squashed so that I don't start getting bug reports of the app freezing when doing the back swipe :)
[doublepost=1519466709][/doublepost]
Hey simmepi, another awesome update. It’s nearly perfect now, with swipe back.

The only thing I can think of to add would be to possibly allow the reader view to be disabled so it always goes to web view. I find that the reader view is often poorly formatted (I assume this is the fault of the feed, as some feeds are ok, but some are really bad). I know you can long press to get web view...I just always forget :).

Thanks again for your efforts.
I was toying with a setting to toggle the behaviour, i.e. making it possible to do long-click for reader view, regular for web view. It's mostly a matter of not getting bogged down in too many settings so we'll see.

Question: Is it OK for me to get the feed address(es) for when the reader view looks bad? The view is a bit complicated since it essentially is a mix of my added HTML+CSS to tweak the look of the news item and whatever HTML+CSS is already in the item, and sometimes the result could get, well, ugly. So I'm always trying to improve how this works.

There are alternative ways to render HTML+CSS in an app, and the way I would actually prefer I can't use since doing so makes it impossible to preload the reader view before it's actually on-screen -> swiping between news in the reader view always result in a really short but very annoying empty screen being swiped in before the HTML+CSS is completely loaded. So instead I use an alternative way for rendering, but this way requires more manual tweaking, unfortunately.

mcdj : This last thing is also why the pinch-to-zoom sometimes doesn't work (depending on the feed, but for most feeds unfortunately true); I'm trying to fix this but it is surprisingly hard!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm still hoping the way you share a link (via the Share sheet function) in the app with e.g. Twitter gets a lot better to show the header on an article and a figure if there is any instead of link only.

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
I'm still hoping the way you share a link (via the Share sheet function) in the app with e.g. Twitter gets a lot better to show the header on an article and a figure if there is any instead of link only.
Have you tried this in the last few versions? It is much better now; here's a screenshot when sharing an item from Heartfeed as a test:

twitter_share_macrumors.png

Sorry for the Swedish comment; I just quickly shared to my regular twitter account which is in Swedish so the text just says "Testing fcn in my rss app so please ignore :)". And apparently Twitter immediately saw something with Samsung so they added an ad for Samsung in my feed...

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Have you tried this in the last few versions? It is much better now; here's a screenshot when sharing an item from Heartfeed as a test:

Sorry for the Swedish comment; I just quickly shared to my regular twitter account which is in Swedish so the text just says "Testing fcn in my rss app so please ignore :)". And apparently Twitter immediately saw something with Samsung so they added an ad for Samsung in my feed...

Thanks for your response. I just tried it out myself as well.
It does seem to look quite different from a regular way of how I would expect it will look in the pop-up window when I select the share sheet and select e.g. Twitter. I see now a blank text area only where I would expect to see a photo and a link and maybe something like http://www.link.com/postmessage + picture.
Could you fix that display in the Twitter share option?

I see this only happens when I use the share button from within the app.
The result on Twitter when I post it is then only showing a link to the article but no title and figure/picture that was included with the news item. That can't be right?

It does display text and an image when I select the 'Read on the web' first and then select the share button and post it on Twitter.

Last edited:

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
Glad you liked it! Now I only have to hope that the original iOS bu his truly squashed so that I don't start getting bug reports of the app freezing when doing the back swipe :)
[doublepost=1519466709][/doublepost]
I was toying with a setting to toggle the behaviour, i.e. making it possible to do long-click for reader view, regular for web view. It's mostly a matter of not getting bogged down in too many settings so we'll see.

Question: Is it OK for me to get the feed address(es) for when the reader view looks bad? The view is a bit complicated since it essentially is a mix of my added HTML+CSS to tweak the look of the news item and whatever HTML+CSS is already in the item, and sometimes the result could get, well, ugly. So I'm always trying to improve how this works.

There are alternative ways to render HTML+CSS in an app, and the way I would actually prefer I can't use since doing so makes it impossible to preload the reader view before it's actually on-screen -> swiping between news in the reader view always result in a really short but very annoying empty screen being swiped in before the HTML+CSS is completely loaded. So instead I use an alternative way for rendering, but this way requires more manual tweaking, unfortunately.

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Seems like all my feeds are now formatting properly. I would still like the option because some feeds only show a couple of lines and maybe one picture before forcing you to go to the web view anyway, but I'm not seeing the odd formatting on any of them anymore.

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Seems like all my feeds are now formatting properly. I would still like the option because some feeds only show a couple of lines and maybe one picture before forcing you to go to the web view anyway, but I'm not seeing the odd formatting on any of them anymore.
OK, good to know the feeds are properly formatted at least, and I do understand wanting to switch default behaviour so I will still think about it :)
[doublepost=1519756180][/doublepost]
Thanks for your response. I just tried it out myself as well.
It does seem to look quite different from a regular way of how I would expect it will look in the pop-up window when I select the share sheet and select e.g. Twitter. I see now a blank text area only where I would expect to see a photo and a link and maybe something like http://www.link.com/postmessage + picture.
Could you fix that display in the Twitter share option?

I see this only happens when I use the share button from within the app.
The result on Twitter when I post it is then only showing a link to the article but no title and figure/picture that was included with the news item. That can't be right?

It does display text and an image when I select the 'Read on the web' first and then select the share button and post it on Twitter.
Weird. I'm probably missing something or misunderstanding you. So here's how it looks for me; first screenshot is just the reader view for the item, second screenshot is when I've pressed the share button and selected to share to Twitter:

twitter1_macrumors.png
twitter2_macrumors.png

When shared, looking in Twitter you see the tweet with the web preview (as in my screenshot in my previous comment). What you describe with only a link sounds like how it looked in v3.7 and older, but since 3.8 (current version is 3.9.1) it looks like above. Are you sure you have the latest version of Heartfeed, or am I misunderstanding something?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
[doublepost=1519756180][/doublepost]
Weird. I'm probably missing something or misunderstanding you. So here's how it looks for me; first screenshot is just the reader view for the item, second screenshot is when I've pressed the share button and selected to share to Twitter:

When shared, looking in Twitter you see the tweet with the web preview (as in my screenshot in my previous comment). What you describe with only a link sounds like how it looked in v3.7 and older, but since 3.8 (current version is 3.9.1) it looks like above. Are you sure you have the latest version of Heartfeed, or am I misunderstanding something?

I'm running iOS10.3.2 on my iPhone SE and I have the latest version of the Heartfeed app: version 3.9.1 (released 19th of February '18). I get a blank Twitter box when using the first share button that you get within the app.
* So the screenshots below indicate when I click an article in one of my feeds (no matter which one) and then selecting the share button in the top right.

Other share moments:
* When I try to use 'Read further' and then select the share button > Twitter nothing even happens.
* When I select 'Read on the web' > Safari button > then select the share button > Twitter I do get what you were indicating, however when you then actually post it on Twitter all I get is still a link with no picture in it or a title although both are displayed in the preview in this occassion.

IMG_2206.png

IMG_2207.png

IMG_2208.png

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
I'm running iOS10.3.2 on my iPhone SE and I have the latest version of the Heartfeed app: version 3.9.1 (released 19th of February '18). I get a blank Twitter box when using the first share button that you get within the app.
Thanks for the info, it helped! The problem is the iOS version 10.3.2, and there are actually 2 problems:

- The sharing API was improved for apps in iOS 11. Most of what was improved was possible to do in apps earlier but it required a lot of work; you essentially had to add a lot of code explicitly for each app to share to to make it nice. And honestly, I did not have neither the time nor resources to do it. In iOS 11 however, this is much easier to do as you can see.
- It's impossible for me to do any tests in iOS 10.3 to try to fix it there. Devices cannot be downgraded to iOS 10 and all mine are updated since a long time, and in the simulator used when developing apps, I can run iOS 10 but in the simulator the only apps existing are your own developed ones and Apple's default ones. And sharing to Twitter demands you have the Twitter app so there is literally no way for me to test Twitter sharing there :-(

So I'm afraid I will not be able to change how the sharing looks in 10.3.2 since I can neither test the sharing while developing nor check the result on an actual device. But big thanks for your help identifying the issue, it was quite annoying not understanding why you saw something so different!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Thanks for the info, it helped! The problem is the iOS version 10.3.2, and there are actually 2 problems:

- The sharing API was improved for apps in iOS 11. Most of what was improved was possible to do in apps earlier but it required a lot of work; you essentially had to add a lot of code explicitly for each app to share to to make it nice. And honestly, I did not have neither the time nor resources to do it. In iOS 11 however, this is much easier to do as you can see.
- It's impossible for me to do any tests in iOS 10.3 to try to fix it there. Devices cannot be downgraded to iOS 10 and all mine are updated since a long time, and in the simulator used when developing apps, I can run iOS 10 but in the simulator the only apps existing are your own developed ones and Apple's default ones. And sharing to Twitter demands you have the Twitter app so there is literally no way for me to test Twitter sharing there :-(

So I'm afraid I will not be able to change how the sharing looks in 10.3.2 since I can neither test the sharing while developing nor check the result on an actual device. But big thanks for your help identifying the issue, it was quite annoying not understanding why you saw something so different!

Thanks for informing me this is simply not supported in iOS but only works as of iOS11. I'm currently not planning to upgrade to iOS11 for a few reasons. It's not a big issue but sometimes I want to share something on Twitter and then it would be nicer to see a title and picture. I now go to the source website and then share it. That kind of works.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I wish Adobe was as responsive as simmepi!

Heartfeed is more or less perfect for me these days. Thanks for all your hard work! Swiping back to the thumbnails from article view is such a time saver!

But I’m afraid you’ve created a monster! More and more I’m glancing at news on my Apple Watch, currently using “RSS on Watch” which is just ok. I’d LOVE to see a version of Heartfeed on the watch.

RSS on Watch uses a list view of feeds which is fine, but it scrolls vertically through each feed’s articles which seems laborious. It also shows very little of the actual article and won’t show me the web view of any article.

I’ve become dependent on Heartfeed’s horizontal swipes between articles, and dragging to refresh. I’d also love a force press to mark a feed read...

I’d happily pay for a Watch edition!

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
I wish Adobe was as responsive as simmepi!

Heartfeed is more or less perfect for me these days. Thanks for all your hard work! Swiping back to the thumbnails from article view is such a time saver!

But I’m afraid you’ve created a monster! More and more I’m glancing at news on my Apple Watch, currently using “RSS on Watch” which is just ok. I’d LOVE to see a version of Heartfeed on the watch.

RSS on Watch uses a list view of feeds which is fine, but it scrolls vertically through each feed’s articles which seems laborious. It also shows very little of the actual article and won’t show me the web view of any article.

I’ve become dependent on Heartfeed’s horizontal swipes between articles, and dragging to refresh. I’d also love a force press to mark a feed read...

I’d happily pay for a Watch edition!
I’ve heard the request for Apple Watch a few times so will probably at least look into this in the future. No promises but we’ll see!

Also, latest version 3.10 has a setting for the previously discussed selection to enable switching normal/long click, so you can now go directly to web view with a simple normal click.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I’ve heard the request for Apple Watch a few times so will probably at least look into this in the future. No promises but we’ll see!

Also, latest version 3.10 has a setting for the previously discussed selection to enable switching normal/long click, so you can now go directly to web view with a simple normal click.

Heartfeed just keeps getting better & better!

Reactions: willmtaylor

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Heartfeed just keeps getting better & better!
Thanks! I use it a lot myself, probably more than any other app, so I try to make it as nice as possible. Sometimes I do experiment a bit with the interface, like in the latest version where I changed how the preview window is shown when you use an iPad. So far mixed feedback on that change, but since I personally like it a lot more than the older one, the new one will remain, but if there is a lot of negative feedback from iPad users I will instead add a setting for the look. I prefer to keep the number of settings down, but if I like something a lot but users don't, I'll have to compromise :)

And sometimes I just add things since it is fun to try out new functionality. The latest such thing is that I've added a lot of keyboard shortcuts for those (I assume very few) users who have a hardware keyboard connected to their iOS device. It was simple to add them and it was fun, and since I sometimes do use a hardware keyboard with one of my iPads, I actually use it myself. It's not yet where you can drive the app 100% using the keyboard, but I'm getting there I think.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Looks like Apple broke the ability to swipe back to thumbnails from a full article. :/

They also broke RSS On Watch, a Watch app that I used to browse feeds. Sure would love a synced copy of Heartfeed on my wrist, escpecially if I get the new larger watch. :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Still working here. I’ve been on iOS 12 all summer and it’s always worked fine.
Are you talking about swiping back from the actual full web article or the Heartfeed summary? Swiping back from the summary has always worked. Swiping back from the source article was a newish feature that initially did not work.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Are you talking about swiping back from the actual full web article or the Heartfeed summary? Swiping back from the summary has always worked. Swiping back from the source article was a newish feature that initially did not work.
Maybe I’m not understanding. When I swipe back from a full web view, it goes back to the RSS summary view. Another swipe back takes me to the grid. I don’t recall ever being able to swipe all the way back to the grid from an article in one go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.