Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
i havent heard anyone say it yet so ill chime in: Community service, no, not because you have to work off a crime, but to get exposure. way back in the day, when i first started my mother knew i could hold a camera and she told me to photograph a american cancer society event so she would have some photos to remember it by, i shot it, threw together a slide show in iphoto. a week later the american cancer society called and asked if i would give them permession to use the images, then the chair of the event called to see if i could do photos for her rotary club, and so on and so forth, the moral of the story here is if you have to do a charity event for free, it wont hurt you, its completely different than shooting a senior session for free.

as for printing look into White House Custom Color its a amazing print lab, they ship to everywhere amazingly quickly, they are extremely reasonable, but mostly for you, THEY DONT ASK FOR A BUSINESS TAX ID, the only bad thing i can think about them is that their price list is public but you do have to really look for it

find a niche, for me it was trying to get in with moms, very few local photographers(at least in my area) offer newborn sessions, and thus the theory that has made me a ton of money: Pregnant Women travel in packs, crazy but true, shoot one good newborn session and she tells at least 3 friends, and if you are lucky you get 2 more clients

a lot of people say apprenticeship is the way to go, i however think it depends on the photographer you are working with, i took a assistant job right out of high school and it was a complete waste of time, after working for 3 months with a incredibly tight-lipped photographer, who only would answer questions with the phrase "its a trade secret" i found out he knew nothing after asking what f-stop do you shoot this scene at? his reply was i shoot at f-100 with the little lens and f-2 with the big one, so make sure you know who you are working for

as much as it might suck, get a holiday job with walmart or sears or jc penny as a photographer, you will learn NOTHING ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY, but you will learn how to work with difficult subjects, and how to work quickly and efficiently

last thing ill leave you with is Invest in knowledge, get some books, take some classes go to a seminar, that is after you get a camera and a few usable lenses

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
I've absorbed and appreciate(d) each snit bit of advice that I have been given. I really appreciate the time you guys take to write out a huge page full of needful and very informative information. I feel extremely welcome here and that's a huge, huge, plus. :)

I think the community service idea is actually a wonderful idea for not only exposure but to practice and experience different opportunities.

I also agree with your rebuttal dealing with the apprenticeship. If the photographer your working with isn't willing to cooperate to your standards of wanting knowledge and information dealing with photography, then it's useless.

I probably 99% agree with what everyone has said to me in this post.
Thank you so much!

P.S. If you have anything else to ask me or say, then please ask or say away!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
About that D40...

Think about which lenses you want. If you are on a tight budget then you might want to buy used lenses. Look what is available. You may find the lenses you want most are NOT "AF-S". Maybe you might want an 80-200 f/2.8 zoom and you find the used non AF-S version is $1000 less then the new 70--200. If only you have spent another $200 for a body with a focus motor you could save $1,000 on a lens. So, plan ahead.

But you don't need to spend more money. You can spend less. Look for a good used D50. They go for about $350 and have features the D40 lacks, like a motor.

Your best bet, all the that said is just to shoot many images. Give yourself some assignments, shoot them edit the files and becritical and then do that again, a few hundred times.

You might want to get an education in art and business.

And do make a business plan, just to see how hard t is. First figure out how much money you need to support a middle class lifestyle, figure expenses, taxes, insurance and so on. How much will a client pay? how many clients would you need?

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
I'm actually dead set on the D40.
I've read reviews over the D40x and D50 and I have been highly advised to stay with the D40.

I know I'll have lens' restrictions going with the D40 but that's understandable.

I'm a beginner, if this is a mistake then I'll always learn from each mistake I make.

I appreciate your input but, I gotta say, I want that d40 lol.

Right now, I'm not getting ahead of myself.
Although I'm only 17 and I'm wanting the world handed to me for me to shoot, I know it's not going to happen just yet.
One Day, it will.

Once I gain exposure and my knowledge over nikon and photography itself, I'll consider someone who advised me to purchase a D80.
I'll look into that and study that, and that might be my next choice.

Thank you once again for your input =], I do appreciate all.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Although I'm only 17 and I'm wanting the world handed to me for me to shoot, I know it's not going to happen just yet.

As far as I know all of the armed forces still have photographer career fields, and they tend to hand you a good-sized chunk of the world. One of the guys I went to HS with ended up doing a couple of years as the Thunderbirds' photographer.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
As far as I know all of the armed forces still have photographer career fields, and they tend to hand you a good-sized chunk of the world. One of the guys I went to HS with ended up doing a couple of years as the Thunderbirds' photographer.

If I had been interested in photography at your age I would have jumped at such an opportunity. But to each his own ;p

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Slow down
Their are a few posts suggesting not to go with the D40. Follow that advice.

If you buy that D40 you will be very limited with what lenses you can use.
Sure you can use any nikor f mount lenses but you will loose AF. Spend just a little more for nikon with a AF motor used or new.

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
I do agree as to the advice given to me upon not purchasing the Nikon D40 but as you say that camera is limited lens' wise, I too am limited.

The only way I am getting this Nikon, is because I'm getting a fairly reasonable discount on it.

I really cannot afford a D80 and I'm not going to waste money on a D50 or D60.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
The lens is the most important part of the camera. A D50 or D60 with a good lens will take way better pictures. Than the D40 with the kit lens you get.
If you have such inspiration and motivation to start a career in photography. Wait till you can get a good starter camera, even buy one used. Even if you have to wait 6 months to get a few extra hundred dollars.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I strongly suggest avoiding the D40.

Remember: The poor man pays twice. If you get a D40, you're most likely going to end up getting something else, and that something else is probably going to have an in-body autofocus motor. I wish I'd skipped the D40 and gone straight to the D300, which is what I have now. More camera than you need at first, but obviously you are intent on growing as a photographer, and any good camera like the D50, 70, 200, 300, etc. will be able to help you do that. Having built-in autofocus opens you up to a wide range of cheap lenses that you would otherwise be forced to manually focus with.

Manual focus is nice in theory, but most people prefer autofocus for a reason. I know I do, at least.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
step 0) GO TO COLLEGE for photography, graphic design, videography.
step 1) put aside all thoughts of how to make a living as a photographer.
step 2) learn how to be an exceptional photographer.
step 3) once you are an exceptional photographer, figure out a way to make a living at it.

Keep the passion, get the education, experience, training, and cultivate it with others at your level, slightly above it, and way ahead of it.

Please don't be like many of the "Digital Photography for Dummies" learners who skimp on the important aspects of a college education and have trouble toning images on a glossy display.

The images below are a great example of why college and refining your craft NOT ONLY by apprenticeship is necessary.

Be eager, have a passion, be patient, do it the right way, and don't go over the top.

p.s. Yes, college may not be an option, but you should seriously be shooting for it. It may just be a piece of paper, but it's usually the difference between a Pro shooter that is starving, or a Pro shooter that is eating well. Also, learn videography and video editing since that's where a lot of freelance is going.

Attachments

• 9(1)(grey).jpg
    9(1)(grey).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 165

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Shecky and Skunk hit it on the head.

I don't know if you're more into making money or making images. You'll have to decide that for yourself. As for being 17 and having all this ambition to take on the world-- it's great, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't. However, you should calm down a bit and LEARN. You are talking about selling a product that you don't have the tools or know-how to even create.

College. College. College.
Research schools that offer classes and degrees in areas you're interested in, and go. There are a lot of people that say college might not be an option. It is. You just have to be willing to invest in it. You can get loans and assistance from a number of state, federal, and private institutions to fund your education. Scholarships are not out of the question, provided you follow others' advice and build a portfolio to give the school a reason to invest in you.
You say you're in Kentucky. There are a lot of good art schools on the east coast. If that's what you're into (more than the business side), there's RISD, NYU, SCAD (Savannah and Atlanta) among others. Speaking from personal and current experience, the faculty and facility at SCAD-Savannah's photography department is top notch. The community and city is excellent, too.

Keep that ambition and you'll go far, so long as you take the right route. Work hard in school and at small jobs, get an internship or two and learn the ropes, and you'll get it.

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
It seems like a lot to take in, but nothing that I cannot manage. College is a must for me. I already know that. I obviously have a lot more to learn than I already know. But I'm ready for it.

And NYU was a big thing I've been thinking of the past 4 months. I really would love to attend there.

Jobs & Colleges. My passion for photography has not only grown over the past months but has advanced into much more. Since I've fallen in love with photography, I will see something and I'll be like, "I have to shoot that" or something like that. I know I'm at the very bottom, but thanks to all of you, I'll be one step up very soon.

Having faith is a must. I'm not cocky, nor am I conceited. I just have faith in myself and I know I can reach great things in the photography industry.

A lot of you have said, "You might have to do a certain photography job that you wouldn't want to do in the first place, but you need money, so suck it up." Not in the exact words, but exactly what they were meaning. I actually agree with that, and I really appreciate that statement most.

As for the D40, I don't know. We'll see when the time comes. I know you guys are discouraging me greatly not to get it, FOR A REASON, I know... but, all I can say is we'll see when the time comes. The order hasn't been placed just yet ;)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
As for the D40, I don't know. We'll see when the time comes. I know you guys are discouraging me greatly not to get it, FOR A REASON, I know... but, all I can say is we'll see when the time comes. The order hasn't been placed just yet ;)

How long are we going to have to listen to you talking about buying a camera? Is this going to be a Christmas gift?

These threads are more fun with actual pictures.

And Seriously, the D40 isn't what you want

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
I have pictures to show, but no one has requested any. I'll post some if you would like.

Yes, the camera is going to be a gift.

You don't have to read my threads if you feel so annoyed towards me speaking about buying a camera.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I have pictures to show, but no one has requested any. I'll post some if you would like.

I asked earlier. You posted two tiny, blurred, blown out pictures. All the talk about wanting to be a photographer- there are plenty of people here who often offer legit C&C. You don't need to wait to have a DSLR to learn about composing a photograph.

Yes, the camera is going to be a gift.

Sweet.

You don't have to read my threads if you feel so annoyed towards me speaking about buying a camera.

They keep showing up near the top and I keep hoping that you've finally got the camera already. :p

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
lol, I wish I got a camera already. I have to wait, nonsense!

"I asked earlier. You posted two tiny, blurred, blown out pictures. All the talk about wanting to be a photographer- there are plenty of people here who often offer legit C&C. You don't need to wait to have a DSLR to learn about composing a photograph."

What do you mean by this?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I mean that a better use of your time (and ours) would be to post some of your images. Let people look at them. Let people critique them.

Everyone learns something this way. Looking at images, whether you shot them or not, and reading critiques can help you grow as an artist. Much more useful than asking what brand of camera people prefer. ;)

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
I will post pictures now!
pictures I took of my sister.
That's the most recent ones I have.

and the thread about the brand of cameras was just to draw people in and see other peoples preconceived ideas upon other leading popular camera brands. Bringing a little more interaction and knowledge of how people feel within those certain brands.

Anyway, what do you think about these, how can I improve?

Attachments

• l_e2ede6e964fa86719e2b0e23f7d94e53.jpg
    l_e2ede6e964fa86719e2b0e23f7d94e53.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 62
  • l_f1a6fe39b14bae981d2ebf2450aed30c.jpg
    l_f1a6fe39b14bae981d2ebf2450aed30c.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 71
  • l_7455139e95be03d3d23b3a0c48a790aa.jpg
    l_7455139e95be03d3d23b3a0c48a790aa.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 62

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Were these pictures processed with any type of software? Or are they straight from the camera?

The two pictures on the right have blown-out highlights in hair. Maybe underexpose by a third of a stop. The composition is good though, I enjoy how you've filled the screen with the subject.

The picture on the top left doesn't seem to have an obvious focal point- my eye isn't drawn to anything.

Maybe some other posters will chime in. I don't pretend to be the expert around here. :D

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Nice pictures,
Did you have fun taking them? Are you proud of them? do you like the way they look. If so then thats all that counts. Thats what it's all about.

Now back to the D40:(
Like I have said as well as others. Don't get it. If it is a gift talk to the person. Tell them you rely want something different. Even if it means waiting till your birthday. Or giving you time to help save and chip in. If you want nikon, get any nikon. That has a built in motor for AF. Even a used one. will be better than the D40 for your needs. And yes even from the start. The D40 is not for you.

You sound very stubborn about listening to advice on why you should stay away from the D40. You are here asking for advice and help. On how to start your life as a professional photographer. Don't get it..............
Yule be sorry.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Now back to the D40:(
Like I have said as well as others. Don't get it. If it is a gift talk to the person....You sound very stubborn about listening to advice on why you should stay away from the D40. You are here asking for advice and help. On how to start your life as a professional photographer. Don't get it..............
Yule be sorry.

The D40 advice might be water under the bridge (too late)?

I believe there was a comment along the lines of 'waiting for the UPS truck' which suggests that the camera has already been purchased and is en route.

Granted, returning it before it has been opened & used is an option, but a harder one to exercise...the old "bird in hand"...

-hh

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Don't sweat it, you can take millions of great photographs with a D40 and kit lens- while you'll miss out on some bargain lenses limiting your lens selection may help you grow photographically.

The portraits are pretty good, but you need some fill flash to provide catchlights in the eyes in the better of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.