Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Nice pictures,
Did you have fun taking them? Are you proud of them? do you like the way they look. If so then thats all that counts. Thats what it's all about.

Not true. That is all important, yes, but when people get stuck in that mindset, they leave little room for learning or improving. I can't count how many people I've had classes with that refuse to take criticism because "It's art, it's all subjective, and I like it, so that's all that matters!"

If that's how you feel, then you have no business at an art school or anywhere showing work to the public.

Jan 30, 2006
Now back to the D40:(
Like I have said as well as others. Don't get it. If it is a gift talk to the person. Tell them you rely want something different. Even if it means waiting till your birthday. Or giving you time to help save and chip in. If you want nikon, get any nikon. That has a built in motor for AF. Even a used one. will be better than the D40 for your needs. And yes even from the start. The D40 is not for you.

You also seem very stubborn in not recommending the D40.;)

It's true you are limited to only some lenses if you want AF, but then, if you got any of those lenses that do AF, you'll get excellent photos. I would much rather save for a good lens than for a better camera. Now, if the person who is buying you the camera, agrees on buying a D80, then go for it. But don't think you'll be disappointed with the D40.

As for image quality, the D40 is on par with the D80 and the D200. Now, the D300 or D90 have much better low-light performance, but are quite more expensive than the D40. A D80 goes around $750 USD with it's kit lens (18-135) as for now, so consider if you can afford it.

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
Were these pictures processed with any type of software? Or are they straight from the camera?

The two pictures on the right have blown-out highlights in hair. Maybe underexpose by a third of a stop. The composition is good though, I enjoy how you've filled the screen with the subject.

The picture on the top left doesn't seem to have an obvious focal point- my eye isn't drawn to anything.

Maybe some other posters will chime in. I don't pretend to be the expert around here. :D

Only the Grey and White picture had been processed in any way, only contrast has been added. The rest are straight from the camera.

Nice pictures,
Did you have fun taking them? Are you proud of them? do you like the way they look. If so then thats all that counts. Thats what it's all about.

Now back to the D40
Like I have said as well as others. Don't get it. If it is a gift talk to the person. Tell them you rely want something different. Even if it means waiting till your birthday. Or giving you time to help save and chip in. If you want nikon, get any nikon. That has a built in motor for AF. Even a used one. will be better than the D40 for your needs. And yes even from the start. The D40 is not for you.

You sound very stubborn about listening to advice on why you should stay away from the D40. You are here asking for advice and help. On how to start your life as a professional photographer. Don't get it..............
Yule be sorry.

Like I said once again. The nikon D40 is a gift and It's being discounted GREATLY. I can't wait.

The D40 advice might be water under the bridge (too late)?

I believe there was a comment along the lines of 'waiting for the UPS truck' which suggests that the camera has already been purchased and is en route.

Granted, returning it before it has been opened & used is an option, but a harder one to exercise...the old "bird in hand"...

-hh

Wow, someone has been paying attention! =]

Don't sweat it, you can take millions of great photographs with a D40 and kit lens- while you'll miss out on some bargain lenses limiting your lens selection may help you grow photographically.

The portraits are pretty good, but you need some fill flash to provide catchlights in the eyes in the better of them.

Thank you very much. All the lighting is natural sun light, no flash was included(obviously).

BrentGambrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
Nice pictures,

I had a lot of fun taking them. The person in the portraits is my sister, anytime I'm with her we always have fun.
No, I'm not proud of them, I can always improve greatly.

Not true. That is all important, yes, but when people get stuck in that mindset, they leave little room for learning or improving. I can't count how many people I've had classes with that refuse to take criticism because "It's art, it's all subjective, and I like it, so that's all that matters!"

If that's how you feel, then you have no business at an art school or anywhere showing work to the public.

Completely agree with you. Criticism is one of the greatest things!

You also seem very stubborn in not recommending the D40.

It's true you are limited to only some lenses if you want AF, but then, if you got any of those lenses that do AF, you'll get excellent photos. I would much rather save for a good lens than for a better camera. Now, if the person who is buying you the camera, agrees on buying a D80, then go for it. But don't think you'll be disappointed with the D40.

As for image quality, the D40 is on par with the D80 and the D200. Now, the D300 or D90 have much better low-light performance, but are quite more expensive than the D40. A D80 goes around $750 USD with it's kit lens (18-135) as for now, so consider if you can afford it.

Again, the camera isn't coming out of my pocket ;)
Thanks again everyone for your advice.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thank you very much. All the lighting is natural sun light, no flash was included(obviously).

That's the thing you can change that will have the biggest immediate impact in your photos. Even though there's a lot of repetition, please read the following URLs then start experimenting both indoors and outdoors and learn to adjust your flash power- even with in-camera flash, you'll be able to see the difference almost at once.

http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/
http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/2-flash-ambient-light/
http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/3-dragging-the-shutter/
http://planetneil.com/tangents/2008/02/29/dragging-the-shutter-revisited/
http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/6-flash-outdoors/
http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/7-metering-techniques/
http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/8-flash-exposure-comp/

"I only shoot natural light" is picture-taker for "I don't know how to light well." We all start there, convince ourselves that it's "purist" then some of us overcome it and others don't. I don't know a single photographer who knows how to light well who only shoots natural light- but I know lots of picture-takers who think flash has to be harsh, blown out and overdone.

*After* you read the links *and play around*, spend some time on strobist.blogspot.com- you're probably on enough of a budget that his techniques will be useful at this stage. Budget for a Safe-sync to glue on top of the D40 just in case you go with the high-voltage Vivitars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.