Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
What is your experience guys with 24 GB machines ? Did you have swap files anymore, like on 8/16 machines? Or is the problem solved with 24 GB and higher?

I am one of these always on guys 16-24 hours day. Would be nice to know.

EzisAA

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Riga, Latvia
What is your experience guys with 24 GB machines ? Did you have swap files anymore, like on 8/16 machines? Or is the problem solved with 24 GB and higher?

You will have anyway ram swap - because it how is working macOS. Less ram you have, the earlying mac start struggling. In some case extra +8GB RAM make almost 5 time difference in performance. So if you thinking about 24GB, you will feel diference in long time - your mac will work more stabele day to day, month after month and in multitasking not loss performance.

I last year move from 16GB to 32GB. In multitasking difference is huge - much more stable performance. But it still have ram swap, but less than previous.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Swap is a function of how you use the Mac, not the amount of memory it has. Some people see minimal swap with 8GB and others see gigabytes of swap with 24GB (or more) RAM.

Buy the amount of RAM you need, for the way you use your computer. Or, alternatively, adjust your usage to fit the RAM you have.

BTW: The most common cause of high swap, that I’ve seen, is having a &$#@-ton of open tabs in Chrome. Obviously there are a lot of other ways to cause swap with various apps, but usually those people understand their usage. Chrome tab-hogs generally don’t, in my experience.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Don't blame the users: if they used a decent browser, it wouldn't be a problem.
I'm not bashing Chrome, it has its place. But it is a RAM-hog if you have a bunch of open tabs, no doubt. If a user understands that & plans accordingly (by getting more RAM) or adjusts behavior accordingly (by closing tabs when not in use), I don't have a problem with Chrome.

Personally, I'm fine with Safari. But if somebody likes a different browser - Vaya con Dios.

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

EzisAA

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Riga, Latvia
If users weren’t lazy, and understood when it’s appropriate to use a bookmark instead of using a tab that wouldn’t be an issue
There is many case when bookmark not help you save a free ram. When I somesing searching on internet, I first open lot of pages(20-30), and then start watching/read them - in this case if you dont have lot of ram - Mac will be start freezing. In this case is huge differenc batwen 16GB and 32GB. And if you are multitasking user, more ram = faster work.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Foremost, to address the original question(s)… We can’t because there’s a lot of complexity, we’d need a lot more data (e.g., apps used, workflow amongst those apps). And even with more data, a “Yes” or “No” is probably not going to be sufficient.

BTW: The most common cause of high swap, that I’ve seen, is having a &$#@-ton of open tabs
At least on these forums that’s a common justification.
If users weren’t lazy, and understood when it’s appropriate to use a bookmark instead of using a tab that wouldn’t be an issue
There is many case when bookmark not help you save a free ram. When I somesing searching on internet, I first open lot of pages(20-30), and then start watching/read them - in this case if you dont have lot of ram - Mac will be start freezing. In this case is huge differenc batwen 16GB and 32GB. And if you are multitasking user, more ram = faster work.
Are there scenarios in which having multiple sources and tools quickly accessible is beneficial? Yes, of course. However, the problem is the extent of belief.

In fact, it’s often counterproductive:

Last but not least, a tech-focused reasoning and approach to the problem:

By the way, this delusion extends to the rationalization “I need two/three/four displays/monitors.” Again, can there be a genuine benefit? Yes. However, the actually useful scenarios are few. It’s more about trying to portray the highest skill level.

matrix001.jpg

swordfish02.jpg

swordfish01.jpg

Image credit: Warner Bros (The Matrix and Swordfish)

I won’t deny the Swordfish setup is eye-catching but that’s really where it sits, a showpiece.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 2.01.52 PM.png

My 13" M3 24 GB/1TB MacBook Air. This is with an uptime of 7 days. Used daily for 8-10 hours a day. Mostly for web app software development with React JS.

You can't avoid swap in general with macOS (unless you turn it off which is not advised for normal use.) As you can see, I currently have plenty of RAM available and no memory pressure but I still have over 1 GB of swap and 1/2 GB of compressed memory. It is just how macOS works and it isn't anything to worry about.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
@snakes-
The YouTube video by Alex Ziskind at
makes for interesting viewing on the subject of how macOS uses RAM, memory pressure and cache in a real-world working environment. It's not aimed at 24GB usage because he set about looking at whether money is better spent upgrading RAM to 16 or SSD to 512 from the base spec, but the tests and analysis are surprising and informative, and might help.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I have a 64GB M1 Max, it swaps. Swap in Mac and Linux isn’t a bad thing. The Mac off loads the memory pages it doesn’t need to swap. It’s much better way, than trying to offload memory under load. Last thing you want when the machine needs more RAM is try to offload while working on intense tasks. I have a 128 GB Linux work station, which has lot of cache and swap used at times. Just enjpy your Mac and let OS optimize the memory.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I have a 64GB M1 Max, it swaps. Swap in Mac and Linux isn’t a bad thing. The Mac off loads the memory pages it doesn’t need to swap. It’s much better way, than trying to offload memory under load. Last thing you want when the machine needs more RAM is try to offload while working on intense tasks. I have a 128 GB Linux work station, which has lot of cache and swap used at times. Just enjpy your Mac and let OS optimize the memory.

I want to take this advice but I struggle with it. I'm zero percent worried about the SSD wearing out due to write/read cycles. There's no way I own my machine that long. But what bugs me is that MacOS doesn't seem to ever clear out the swap. Something about that eats at my OCD.

Is your recommendation just to totally ignore Activity Monitor and not reboot unless there's some other reason to do so? I'll admit I've never seen the memory usage impact the performance in a way that I can notice as a user so I'm probably over thinking all of this.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Is your recommendation just to totally ignore Activity Monitor and not reboot unless there's some other reason to do so? I'll admit I've never seen the memory usage impact the performance in a way that I can notice as a user so I'm probably over thinking all of this.
If you look at the Ziskind video posted above, you'll see that Activity Monitor isn't really all that useful in telling you much that's actually useful to you as a user. Yes, it fulfills the inner statistician if you have one, but macOS is very adept at memory management - indeed, overall resource management - so Activity Monitor will tell you a great deal about not much.

The video clearly demonstrate that macOS does actively manage the use of system memory, and does so quite effectively. And that for most uses, you really can just use the system and not overthink how it is running.

Reactions: bousozoku

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
For me, the only use of Activity Monitor is to occasionally confirm that there is not something I don’t want or I don’t care about is running in background using a bunch of resources

Last edited:
Reactions: za9ra22

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I want to take this advice but I struggle with it. I'm zero percent worried about the SSD wearing out due to write/read cycles. There's no way I own my machine that long. But what bugs me is that MacOS doesn't seem to ever clear out the swap. Something about that eats at my OCD.

Unless something crazy has changed, you should be able to close all applications and restart the computer and the swap file will be rebuilt.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

Focus on memory pressure, if it goes red for basic/regular usage. Swap in Mac OS and most flavors of Linux is proactive in many ways than not. OS offloads some unused/not recently used memory to swap, to keep RAM ready for frequent or new processing. Mac could just remove from RAM and not use swap at all, but the next time you activate the window or start the unused app, it will have to load. In a way, swap assists in fast loading. It’s not the only factor, cache and other stuff play a role. You can close all the apps, or reboot, but for me, it's not an option with multiple apps, code, documentation and other stuff open. I may not use it for a few days, but if I need to, I don't need to relaunch stuff and wait. Reboot if you see any memory pressure issues or Apps running slow.

Here is an experiment I did by disabling the Swap. It puts more memory pressure in my case, went to Red, which I rarely see unless I have a process with 150GB Memory consumption.
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 4.17.00 PM.png

Swap is not your enemy, it just is optimizing for performance and also provides a cushion when the RAM is not enough. It's not uncommon to load 175 GB with more than 100G swap when I am running intensive stuff. Apple unified memory and Swap with fast NAND has been very helpful for me, to avoid buying systems with few hundred gigs of RAM.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The point of computers is to do the work for us; not to give us more work!

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Swap will always happen on macOS and Linux, it's just the way it works when using applications, especially when you go into custom hibernation/sleep modes.

However what you don't want is around 5GB-10GB daily swap that usually happens when you run low on memory.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
gunny wrote:
"Swap will always happen on macOS and Linux, it's just the way it works when using applications, especially when you go into custom hibernation/sleep modes."

Not always.
Swap can be TURNED OFF if you want it to be off.
I've done so on both my Macs, one Intel (2018 Mini), the other m-series (2021 MacBook Pro 14").
Both continue to run fine and they don't crash.

The secret?
Don't open more applications than you need, and quit those with which you're done using.
swap.jpg

disk.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: hovscorpion12

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
gunny wrote:
"Swap will always happen on macOS and Linux, it's just the way it works when using applications, especially when you go into custom hibernation/sleep modes."

Not always.
Swap can be TURNED OFF if you want it to be off.
I've done so on both my Macs, one Intel (2018 Mini), the other m-series (2021 MacBook Pro 14").
Both continue to run fine and they don't crash.

The secret?
Don't open more applications than you need, and quit those with which you're done using.
View attachment 2370484

View attachment 2370485
That can be real bad advice to disable swap. Memory pressure on my M1 Max goes red with Swap disabled. Swap isn’t bad, it serves its purpose. I posted a screenshot earlier, my M1 Max with 64 GB in red with swap disabled but rarely happens when swap is enabled.
It’s not always possible to open one or two apps and quit, reload and wait. Let OS do its job.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
That can be real bad advice to disable swap. Memory pressure on my M1 Max goes red with Swap disabled. Swap isn’t bad, it serves its purpose. I posted a screenshot earlier, my M1 Max with 64 GB in red with swap disabled but rarely happens when swap is enabled.
It’s not always possible to open one or two apps and quit, reload and wait. Let OS do its job.
Yep, I manage enterprise servers and the swap is never off just configured by default or by application requirements

Reactions: TechnoMonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.