Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seems like timing of this thread has summoned forth the very infrequent appearance of an authentic Apple Watch Edition. This posting on eBay is loaded with what would now be considered misinformation (including the original listing price), but someone is obviously fishing. Maybe a pawn shop or estate sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-18K-S...CH-ORIGINAL-16-000-00-NOT-PLATED/123873574566

See, that’s the problem with purchasing a watch like this off eBay. You can _easily_ gold plate a stainless model Apple Watch to reflect the 18K Edition, any jewelry shop will do it that offers a plating service. It’s one of the main reasons if somebody was serious about purchasing the 18 karat gold edition Apple Watch, you don’t buy it off eBay.

The other consideration to factor, how did the buyer come across the gold edition Apple Watch to begin with? (Like, where did they buy/receive it?) If someone was serious about purchasing the Apple Watch gold edition off eBay, I would ask a slew of questions to the buyer, and you’ll know by their responses if it’s a genuine sale or not.

Reactions: GrandeLatte

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
The serial number indicates that it is an authentic Apple Edition 42mm as does the Apple inscribed 18K Gold alongside it. Those are things that can’t be finessed with gold-plating. That said, it’s still eBay, and the provenance is unclear although the seller has respectable ratings.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
The serial number is in the listing. Using that on Apple's trade-in website say they'll give you £25 credit for it!

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/trade-in

imagine spending 10,000+ and only being offered 25 pounds for a trade in...the gold melted is worth way more than that ::skull::

The serial number indicates that it is an authentic Apple Edition 42mm as does the Apple inscribed 18K Gold alongside it. Those are things that can’t be finessed with gold-plating. That said, it’s still eBay, and the provenance is unclear although the seller has respectable ratings.

Yes exactly, and the leather case hasn't seen any knock offs

Stable Entropy

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2016
Apparently, the 38mm model was on clearance in Japan last year for ~$700 USD. Totally would've grabbed one if I could to own a piece of Apple history!

https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/21/apple-watch-isetan-shinjuku-closing-may-13/
Earlier this week, Apple held a fire sale for the Apple Watch Edition on the Isetan website, where remaining inventory quickly sold out. The 38mm model was offered for 75,600 yen (just over $700 USD.) Upon its debut in 2015, the Apple Watch Edition was priced from $10,000 to $17,000, depending on the model.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
What's comical about that 18k Gold Watch is that Apple felt like giving an additional 2 years of warranty is some type of special move on their part. You purchase a watch like that for that much money it should have lifetime support on it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What's comical about that 18k Gold Watch is that Apple felt like giving an additional 2 years of warranty is some type of special move on their part. You purchase a watch like that for that much money it should have lifetime support on it.

Lifetime support on a watch that see’s limited OS support? I could understand if it was a higher-end mechanical watch, but it’s a smart watch, you know those who have that type of expendable income to purchase the 18 karat gold edition Apple Watch will stop wearing it once the new model comes out that has the latest software and will receive continual updates.

It Probably doesn’t help the case for those who purchased 18 karat gold edition Apple Watch know that there’s a gold stainless in addition.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
See, that’s the problem with purchasing a watch like this off eBay. You can _easily_ gold plate a stainless model Apple Watch to reflect the 18K Edition, any jewelry shop will do it that offers a plating service. It’s one of the main reasons if somebody was serious about purchasing the 18 karat gold edition Apple Watch, you don’t buy it off eBay.

Anyone familiar with watches can identify a karat gold case vs. a plated one with near 100% reliability with a minute or two of holding it in their hands. It's not something unique to the Apple watch.

If I wanted one(I don't), I'd not hesitate to buy on Ebay and would return it if it wasn't in fact authentic.

With that said, it would benefit a buyer to study what the markings actually look like on the genuine article, and compare those both to the listing photos and the actual item received.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Anyone familiar with watches can identify a karat gold case vs. a plated one with near 100% reliability with a minute or two of holding it in their hands. It's not something unique to the Apple watch.

If I wanted one(I don't), I'd not hesitate to buy on Ebay and would return it if it wasn't in fact authentic.

With that said, it would benefit a buyer to study what the markings actually look like on the genuine article, and compare those both to the listing photos and the actual item received.

the one in question had legitimate markings only found on the edition. as well as the charging case which no fakes have been made of that im aware of at least

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Yes, I've two Apple Watch Edition . For me it's nice even now it very slow
I also have ceramic white and grey . Looking for titanium

[doublepost=1566379060][/doublepost]another edition , 42 and 38

omg thats amazing!

does the rose gold watch have a custom rose gold color in the watch face customization?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I had the series 3 in white. I loved that watch. I shall be watching the Ceramic Series 5 with interest but if they hike the price then I will stick with a SS.

I can't see how they can justify a huge price increase, as the backs of the watches are all ceramic now to begin with. *shrug* But I guess they always have been?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
omg thats amazing!

does the rose gold watch have a custom rose gold color in the watch face customization?

edit: watched the video and you brought it up. i wonder if its the same as the one that comes with the rose gold aluminum watch

screenshot from my series 2 rose gold watch face

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 140

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
What weight/value of gold is actually contained in the watch? If the gold price eventually goes high enough, one could supposedly get one's money back by selling it just for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.