Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
What weight/value of gold is actually contained in the watch? If the gold price eventually goes high enough, one could supposedly get one's money back by selling it just for that.
55g of “18-karat gold,” but the gold used is actually some special type of propriety alloy, so it’s difficult to ascertain exactly what it’s worth.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What weight/value of gold is actually contained in the watch? If the gold price eventually goes high enough, one could supposedly get one's money back by selling it just for that.

The only Way to accrue the highest amount possible for the gold casing, would be through a jeweler. No one as a ‘tech enthusiast’ is going to pay any premium for a watch just for the casing, unless they score an incredibly _low_ price from some unsuspecting seller.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
brand new 42mm Gold 18K Apple Watch Edition available for just $17k 😘

I looked at the listing. A few things right off the bat, he’s never going to get $17K for this. It doesn’t matter if it’s new or not. The watch is listed as ‘never turned on’, which means that battery is completely depleted and it will not turn on, especially being it’s almost 6 years old. Also, the fact that the integrity of the package has been opened, will also devalue the watch. The most I could see that seller making off the 18 karat gold Apple Watch is maybe $10K, if that. Realistically, he’d be lucky to even walk away with $8K, and that’s just what the casing is probably worth.

Reactions: rosegoldoli

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
I looked at the listing. A few things right off the bat, he’s never going to get $17K for this. It doesn’t matter if it’s new or not. The watch is listed as ‘never turned on’, which means that battery is completely depleted and it will not turn on, especially being it’s almost 6 years old. Also, the fact that the integrity of the package has been opened, will also devalue the watch. The most I could see that seller making off the 18 karat gold Apple Watch is maybe $10K, if that. Realistically, he’d be lucky to even walk away with $8K, and that’s just what the casing is probably worth.
didnt even think about it not turning on omg i wonder if apple would be able to fix if the poor soul who buys wants to use..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
didnt even think about it not turning on omg i wonder if apple would be able to fix if the poor soul who buys wants to use..

Whoever purchases the 18K Gold edition Apple Watch would only want it strictly as a ‘collectors item’ to pay that price or even close to that price, probably wouldn’t care if it worked or not. But still, it’s not nearly worth what the seller is asking. Even slightly ‘used’ Gold editions sell for around 6K-8k. The fact this Edition is opened, is another reason its not the original price tag.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Whoever purchases the 18K Gold edition Apple Watch would only want it strictly as a ‘collectors item’ to pay that price or even close to that price, probably wouldn’t care if it worked or not. But still, it’s not nearly worth what the seller is asking. Even slightly ‘used’ Gold editions sell for around 6K-8k. The fact this Edition is opened, is another reason its not the original price tag.
yeah they lowered to 7K...i wonder if someone will buy it tbh

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
Heh, under the eBay listing’s “more like this“ I see Rolex watches for 6k and 7k. That’s money far better spent imo and really makes me wonder why anybody would pay 7500 for a gold plated obsolete smart watch.

• Haha

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Heh, under the eBay listing’s “more like this“ I see Rolex watches for 6k and 7k. That’s money far better spent imo and really makes me wonder why anybody would pay 7500 for a gold plated obsolete smart watch.
seriously..well the edition apple watch was made out of gold as opposed to plated. still not a good investment

Reactions: sixtydashone

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I got the gold SS 5 watch, couldn't afford the solid gold one! Picture if from Apple, must have used dulling spray on part or air brushed because it looks much better in real life, polished gold. I think it would be hard to tell the difference between 18K edition and my polished gold plated SS watch. Rose Gold aluminum watch was no comparison, dull.
Series 5.png

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
yeah they lowered to 7K...i wonder if someone will buy it tbh

The problem with eBay, is you have the sellers who think they have some type of ‘exquisite masterpiece product’, when it’s not. The 18 karat gold Apple Watch really is unique, but it’s a dated tech product that doesn’t work. The only thing that’s worth anything on an Apple Watch is the casing. So if anyone considers that for a purchase, they literally would want it was like a mantle piece for the fireplace and that’s it. Nobody would ever actually wear it, because it doesn’t do anything. If that was a true mechanical time piece, that might be worth a lot more, but it’s literally silicon and a lithium ion battery in an 18 karat gold casing. Personally, if I was that seller, I would just lower the price to the point where somebody makes me an offer that seems semi-reasonable and Move On. Because there’s like less than 1% of people in the world that actually would even want that, and definitely not at $18,000.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
I got the gold SS 5 watch, couldn't afford the solid gold one! Picture if from Apple, must have used dulling spray on part or air brushed because it looks much better in real life, polished gold. I think it would be hard to tell the difference between 18K edition and my polished gold plated SS watch. Rose Gold aluminum watch was no comparison, dull.
View attachment 1688031
love that gold casing! but its more of a brone/brown/copper look. the new gold casing on the S6 seems closer to the original 18k watch

not a fan of the yellow gold imo i prefer a copper tone

40-stainless-gold-milanese-gold-6s-cell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.