Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
For about a decade I have switched back and forth .... while owning both platforms most of the time.

Right now I'm using the S10+, and have zero complains.

I'll be skipping the Note 10 and getting the iPhone 11 instead. My last iPhone was an 8+.

I skipped the X and XS out of boredom of iPhones, now I feel the same for Galaxy phones, and Android in general.

I'm hoping I can last more than 6 months using the iPhone as my main device. iOS 13 has me optimistic, and I know what I'll be sacrificing from the Android side. I'll also get an AW again, my last AW was a series 2.

I will still use Google services for syncing my contacts/calendar/etc. And will still use Google Voice for my voicemail.

I personally think you should give the S10+ or Note 10 a try. You might stay with it or go back to the iPhone, but without trying, you'll never experience everything smartphones have to offer.
I think a Oneplus 7 pro would appeal to someone on the fence about Android far more than a Samsung phone would.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Samsung S and Note series are overpriced hype. Samsung know this so they make sure certain features like IP68 are only for these series so people needing those features are forced to shell out more money that they should.

Currently my workhorse remain my iPhone 6s. All sensitive stuff like email, banking are kept on the iPhone. Everything else, like social media, photography, etc, I use my Huawei P30.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think a Oneplus 7 pro would appeal to someone on the fence about Android far more than a Samsung phone would.

No wireless charging is a no go for me. But I love the design and the pop-up front camera.

For myself, it's hard to move away from Samsung in the Android world cause of the features like Secure Folder, Samsung Pay, and etc.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Samsung apps aren't good and you're tethered to applications you don't want. Your updates are managed by the carrier. All things which don't happen on the Pixel or iPhone.

And yes, Android tends to rot. After a year, it tends to lose performance. The problem is, after 18 months, the Sammy software has made the problem worse and you're stuck with a slow phone which no longer gets timely updates.

Huawei and OnePlus are both better at Android than Samsung. Pixel is Android at its best.

I have to somewhat disagree here. Samsung has improved their update cycle quite a bit in the last couple of years and when I got rid of the S8+ I had before my S10+, it was on a 14-month streak of the monthly security updates arriving during the month they were originally released in and during the approximately two years I had the phone, they skipped only a couple of months. Also no such thing as carriers messing with the updates where I live.

Pixel is good indeed, but while I do like the fast updates they get, all the Nexus and Pixel phones I've had during the years have also had Bluetooth broken by an update a couple of times too often. The Samsungs I've had (S7 Edge, S8+, S10+) have been more stable, and while the major updates naturally arrive later to the Samsungs, they've picked up the security update pace which is more critical of the two for me nowadays (looks like I'm getting old). I've had a couple of OnePlus phones, but having seen the stupid stunts they pulled with the software, I just can't trust them with my data. Huawei even less so.

What comes to the original topic, I seem to have made the jump as both my regular phone SIMs have stayed in the S10+ ever since I got it in May for a nice discount (never get a Samsung at their initial bloated iPhone-wannabe price) and I'm happy with the phone. I also have a data only SIM in the iPhone 8 that was my daily driver before the S10+ for managing my son's iPhone and iPad, but if it weren't for my son's devices, the iPhone would most likely end up as a wifi only test device. Sure, I do occasionally miss the Apple Watch, but the Galaxy Watch Active has been a good enough substitute. It doesn't do payments over here like the Apple Watch does (no Samsung Pay here), but it's somewhat better at tracking my activity and comes with a built-in sleep tracking. I can also use a wireless powerbank or my phone for charging it on the go, so there's no need to lug the original charger around, which is nice.

There are a couple of apps that are still nicer on iOS, but to get those apps to be a bit more finished, I would have to give up quite a lot of functionality I've grown to like such as split screen apps, physical dual-SIM, USB-C, DeX etc. With the current iPhone prices here in Finland the trade-offs aren't really worth it for me. As mentioned, Samsung's list prices are almost at a similar level of stupid, but fortunately you really don't need to pay that much if you can wait for a couple of months after the release and be ready to jump on a deal when one lands.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As good as s10 plus was and is no....

notifications coming 10-15 mins late on android is unacceptable and them all coming through together is awful and a pain. Music syncing doesn’t work as well and everything doesn’t sync as well. Oh and no Apple Watch support which is a deal breaker for me.

great specs though and work well just a few draw backs that I can’t accept
Ditto this. I’m fortunate enough to have two phone lines and able to run an iPhone and an Android phone. My husband has the same opportunity.

We love our Samsungs after the S8+. That model was a lemon for us. The S9+ and now S10+ are very refined experiences that we enjoy. Except for that notifications thing. That drove my husband crazy. Our Apple Watches have more functionality and serve us better than our Samsung watches do, though Samsung keeps working to close the gap.

Anyway I’m still at a point where if I can have only one phone, it will be the iPhone.

It certainly falls short of the best Samsung phone in many ways. But it’s a more solid all around choice for me and my husband.

While Apple has had some bad news regarding privacy and security recently, I do think on an Android you’re going to be exposed to significantly more marketing when you try to use Bixby and Google services. I deal with it, but it sometimes gets really creepy and weird and annoyingly specific. Which is what it’s supposed to be doing. I just can’t help thinking “Why the hell did I agree to all this?” sometimes.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
My advice as always, try it out. Worse case scenario, you don't like it, and return it. Why go with the opinions of others who may not like the particular brand you're inquiring about. You won't get an honest and objective opinion from those posters. So, give it a try, only you can find the answer nobody else can give you. But be warned, go in with an open mind, and always be aware you are using a completely new OS. Don't fall in the trap where you keep expecting to do things the same way as on iOS. I switched for the first time, months back, to a used S7 Edge. I was very impressed, and never once saw the lag and poor performance I always read about. The Knox security and secure folder is my favorite feature. I'm pretty sure you won't hear anything about Samsung and security in this forum. But the fact is, If security is big for you, there's not a device out there that can match Samsung Knox and Secure Folder. I've pre-ordered the Note 10+, and cannot wait to dive into the feature set of this work horse. The new version of Dex on the Note 10 is amazing. Never been so excited for a new device.

Last edited:

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
I dont have an iPhone. I am an android user from the start, if you dont count PalmOS and WebOS.

What I can tell you is that, first know what you want from a smartphone. What functions and feature you need and want. How will you use it and when will you use it. What use case scenario are you expecting? If you have a precise answer for those questions then you will have your answer.

In my case, i dont want to be told how to use my phone. I want to truly own my phone and use it freely without limitation imposed by the manufacturer. I should be the master of my phone because i paid for it in cash. Thats the reasons why i stayed in Android OS. With iPhone, you dont truly own your phone. you rented it from Apple.

Macpro2019

Suspended
Jun 7, 2019
I did switch from ios to note. It’s cool that note 10 plus comes with usb with cable yo transfer files to note 10

Thrutheroofnunderground

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2018
North Carolina
As good as s10 plus was and is no....

notifications coming 10-15 mins late on android is unacceptable and them all coming through together is awful and a pain. Music syncing doesn’t work as well and everything doesn’t sync as well. Oh and no Apple Watch support which is a deal breaker for me.

great specs though and work well just a few draw backs that I can’t accept

what carrier are you with? I’ve had Android more than iOS and literally not once had that problem on 5 phones, including a cheap Motorola I had for a while.

Also don’t have a clue what you’re talking about with “syncing”
[doublepost=1566623147][/doublepost]
The only Android phones I'd look at this year, are the OnePlus 7 Pro and Pixel 4 XL. That's it.
I like the idea of the Pixel, but my reality was way too buggy, even over two years of updates. Have friends who have the 2XL, regular 3, and 3XL including a software engineer—they have all talked about it being buggy. Photos? Yes! Everything else? Meh.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
i actually went out and bought the S10 Plus and even paid for early upgrade from my XS Max.

its actually a pretty decent phone in its own right. good performance, excellent screen, and I do like the overall hardware of it. Couple points though:
  • As much as I tried to like it, Android is a potato of an OS and is nowhere near as refined as iOS 13 beta
  • the edge thing is super annoying. yeah yeah body/screen ratio blah blah, and it looks great on a table, but unintentional touches happen very frequently. and not accidentally either - even trying to avoid it rarely works, like when holding the phone in the right hand and trying to tap something on the left. blah
  • a problem ive had with every single android phone ive tried in the last 2 years - bad touch response times. when you're scrolling in one direction and you do a scroll in the opposite direction, there's a nice long pregnant pause in between switching directions that i just cannot get over
  • the migration tool is a joke and only "migrated" 1 (count it, 1) out of like 200 apps I had on my XS Max. did good with the photos though
  • android apps are still not as polished as iOS apps
  • way too much branded gimmickry. why does everything need a name? why is everything called smart this, edge that? why does smart unlock insist on telling me on the lock screen that it unlocked my phone? why does app edge (wtf kind of name is that btw) insist on branding itself each time i trigger it? why cant the phone respect me as a human being
  • the messaging situation needs a solution immediately. i cant be sending SMS's to people like i might as well have a moto razr
  • still no visual voicemail? cmon fellas, this cant be a hard feature to implement
  • preloaded bs that i cant get rid of. why is this still acceptable in almost-2020
  • android security. organizations using iphones can just install profiles that add certain restrictions, but all apps still work just fine. android has to sandbox all work apps into a separate pin-protected section
  • in the 2-hour period it took for me to migrate stuff over, i had like 4 different apps crash, and a major kernel panic while scrolling through settings that could only be resolved by the power button vol down combo
every year i go through this same ridiculous song and dance where samsung comes out with a new shiny flagship device and all the reviews and the people in this forum are like Oh-hohoho no, all that past stuff we admit was bad, THIS, THIS is the device to get. Samsung FINALLY gets it right. so i grab my wallet happy that, finally, samsung caught up and took its software seriously. and then a week later i hate my life and decide to return the phone.

so yeah long story short it's going back on monday, i cant do this anymore. iphone might be boring but it just wins. im out of this game until the pixel 4

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
i actually went out and bought the S10 Plus and even paid for early upgrade from my XS Max.

its actually a pretty decent phone in its own right. good performance, excellent screen, and I do like the overall hardware of it. Couple points though:
  • As much as I tried to like it, Android is a potato of an OS and is nowhere near as refined as iOS 13 beta
  • the edge thing is super annoying. yeah yeah body/screen ratio blah blah, and it looks great on a table, but unintentional touches happen very frequently. and not accidentally either - even trying to avoid it rarely works, like when holding the phone in the right hand and trying to tap something on the left. blah
  • a problem ive had with every single android phone ive tried in the last 2 years - bad touch response times. when you're scrolling in one direction and you do a scroll in the opposite direction, there's a nice long pregnant pause in between switching directions that i just cannot get over
  • the migration tool is a joke and only "migrated" 1 (count it, 1) out of like 200 apps I had on my XS Max. did good with the photos though
  • android apps are still not as polished as iOS apps
  • way too much branded gimmickry. why does everything need a name? why is everything called smart this, edge that? why does smart unlock insist on telling me on the lock screen that it unlocked my phone? why does app edge (wtf kind of name is that btw) insist on branding itself each time i trigger it? why cant the phone respect me as a human being
  • the messaging situation needs a solution immediately. i cant be sending SMS's to people like i might as well have a moto razr
  • still no visual voicemail? cmon fellas, this cant be a hard feature to implement
  • preloaded bs that i cant get rid of. why is this still acceptable in almost-2020
  • android security. organizations using iphones can just install profiles that add certain restrictions, but all apps still work just fine. android has to sandbox all work apps into a separate pin-protected section
  • in the 2-hour period it took for me to migrate stuff over, i had like 4 different apps crash, and a major kernel panic while scrolling through settings that could only be resolved by the power button vol down combo
every year i go through this same ridiculous song and dance where samsung comes out with a new shiny flagship device and all the reviews and the people in this forum are like Oh-hohoho no, all that past stuff we admit was bad, THIS, THIS is the device to get. Samsung FINALLY gets it right. so i grab my wallet happy that, finally, samsung caught up and took its software seriously. and then a week later i hate my life and decide to return the phone.

so yeah long story short it's going back on monday, i cant do this anymore. iphone might be boring but it just wins. im out of this game until the pixel 4

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I had to reply because your last line made me laugh out loud. I’m out of this game.. for like 2 months when the next one is released. :)

The epitome of the macrumors member’s plight.

Reactions: Suckfest 9001

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I have a XS 256 as mostly daily driver, I have thought about grabbing a S10 to replace my S9 only because the battery life is getting pretty weak compared to the XS

zox2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
You guys are ridiculous..I owned every single iPhone had few Samsung and other Android phones.Currently I am using Note 10 Plus and love it.When it comes to innovation Apple is 2 years back and it will have a harder time every year from now on.When it comes to security I guess 95% of the Europe is in the trouble because they use Android? Not...Apple is the exactly the same way as is Google...if you buy in to the story that Apple is potentially more secure I think that you are wrong.
Btw, I work in industry designing internal components for both sides and have seen the way they operate....

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
I tend to look past reviews from people who "used" to have an Android phone or worked with Windows ME so Windows 10 is junk kind of crowd.

I played with the Note 10 and liked it. The screen is impressive to me, the phone is light, and overall it's well done. Unfortunately because I am "stuck" in Apple's walled garden and eco system my Apple Watch 4 would be rendered useless.

I feel living behind the walled garden is holding me back from experiencing anything new or innovative. Every iPhone I have owned since iPhone 6 has received incremental updates but nothing is really new, well except for a notch that apparently everyone loves or doesn't notice at all... Well, and now we have three cameras..... God forbid we have to deal with a pinhole cutout. A notch across most of the top of the phone is so much better.
[doublepost=1566704639][/doublepost]
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I had to reply because your last line made me laugh out loud. I’m out of this game.. for like 2 months when the next one is released. :)

The epitome of the macrumors member’s plight.

So you went from an iPhone to an Android phone looking for issues. Surprise!!! Your comments sound unbiased and well reasoned... right?

My iPhone has constant issues with Safari, messaging, and apps not working, loading, or restarting. Maps comes to mind. But I guess YMMV.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.