Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
In 12-18 months it will matter a lot. You get one reliable update with your Samsung phone and it's about 6 months behind where it should be. After that, Samsung abandons your model. That's unacceptable for a phone of that price. Sorry, it just is.

IMHO, phone hardware is a vessel for amazing software. A Samsung phone is a Ferrari with no scheduled maintenance. Pixel is a porsche with a full warranty.

You can guess which one will run well in 2-3 years.

I agree somewhat and for those who want to invest in a phone for 2-3 years it is an issue I guess.

Not really an issue for me, I say "I'm going to sit this one out" and nek minnit, another shiny Samsung in my hand :D

If I were less impulsive, I'd probably go with something with more support.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
I read a lot of arguments about how slow, ugly, unstable Android OS or iOS. A lot of bs from a lot of subjective and arrogant people. What do you expect from fanboys?

The truth is, both Android OS and iOS or Samsung and Apple for that matter produces quality software and hardware. Both are running a modern OS that has been tested through time and it works as advertised. It just works.

The only big difference essentially is the other is more open and the other is not.

With Apple, the company wants to control everything. They are the one who decides how to use or not use your phone. Apps in App Store are heavily curated in a sense that if they don't like the color or the layout of your UI because they just don't feel it fits their branding then they might not approve your app. This is just one example of how tight Apple is. With Apple you will have this feeling that you just rented your phone from Apple.

On the other hand, Android OS being an open source you can almost do anything with it. You can even install a different app store. If your OEM is no longer supporting updates then you can try to install a custom rom which provides latest OS updates and security patch. This shows how open Android OS is and its potential to grow more with the inputs from community developers. But of course like uncle Ben said (Spiderman), with freedom comes with great responsibility.

So you choose, a system that has a big brother that makes decision for you but provides what you need or a system that provides what you need and offers a lot more but you have to be responsible for your action because no one is going to decide for you and if you make mistake you either fix it or live with it.

Reactions: PeterJP

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I love when iPhone fans says Android phones slow down after a few years when Apple was just recently found to purposely degrade performance on their older phones.

It's almost as bad as the people who still say "lagwiz" and think that Samsung's UI hasn't improved.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
In 12-18 months it will matter a lot. You get one reliable update with your Samsung phone and it's about 6 months behind where it should be. After that, Samsung abandons your model. That's unacceptable for a phone of that price. Sorry, it just is.

IMHO, phone hardware is a vessel for amazing software. A Samsung phone is a Ferrari with no scheduled maintenance. Pixel is a porsche with a full warranty.

You can guess which one will run well in 2-3 years.
Meh meh meh. I've always had timely updates on my android phones with Sony and Samsung. Not dissimilar to Apple in that respect. Anyway, I hate updates. Especially major ones. They without fail bring battery, speed and/or memory management problems. I dread them. Updates are fine for around 12 months and then they start decreasing the performance of your phone in readiness for the 2 yearly point where most folk get a new one...
[doublepost=1566999061][/doublepost]
And slow as ****.
Utterly wrong. Do a factory reset and it still flies.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr and iSilas

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The question is 'How fast you want to go?' the other day overhead post office clerk asked the customer.
It is a decision of the phone owner to determine. You pay for the latest and best tech, then next year comes
around, device maker will say new phone that has better stuff. How much can you keep track of the trend ?

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Meh meh meh. I've always had timely updates on my android phones with Sony and Samsung. Not dissimilar to Apple in that respect. Anyway, I hate updates. Especially major ones. They without fail bring battery, speed and/or memory management problems. I dread them. Updates are fine for around 12 months and then they start decreasing the performance of your phone in readiness for the 2 yearly point where most folk get a new one...
[doublepost=1566999061][/doublepost]
Utterly wrong. Do a factory reset and it still flies.
I did and also disabled all the junk that was possiblle to disable. The only place it flies to is trashcan.
[doublepost=1567004426][/doublepost]
Actually, Pie and OneUI made my S8+ faster than it was on Oreo.
I don't really care. It is considerably slower than my X which came 2 months after S8.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

Thank you. I always question why people are so obsessed with phones getting the latest updates forever. More than often they slow the phone down rather than speed it up. Furthermore, apps like gmail, instagram, facebook, spotify and others look and work the same regardless of which OS version you have.

Lastly, 3-4 years into ownership, battery life is usualy more of a concern than whether you have the very latest gesture features.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Thank you. I always question why people are so obsessed with phones getting the latest updates forever. More than often they slow the phone down rather than speed it up. Furthermore, apps like gmail, instagram, facebook, spotify and others look and work the same regardless of which OS version you have.

Lastly, 3-4 years into ownership, battery life is usualy more of a concern than whether you have the very latest gesture features.

With the recent massive price hikes and phones now costing £1000+ I've noticed that UK cellular companies have introduced 3 year contracts. The issue of sealed batteries is now becoming a joke. Why should people not be able to easily change the battery on a £1000 device that they're stuck with for 3 or more years?

Batteries start to degrade and lose performance around the 1 year mark so for manufacturers to continue with these sealed battery designs now that their products cost frankly double what they used to is disgraceful. A battery is a £10 item for goodness sake and I want to be able to slide a new one in every 12 months!

Last edited:

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
With the recent massive price hikes and phones now costing £1000+ I've noticed that UK cellular companies have introduced 3 year contracts. The issue of sealed batteries is now becoming a joke. Why should people not be able to easily change the battery on a £1000 device that they're stuck with for 3 or more years?

Batteries start to degrade and lose performance around the 1 year mark so for manufacturers to continue with these sealed battery designs now that their products cost frankly double what they used to is disgraceful. A battery is a £10 item for goodness sake and I want to be able to slide a new one in every 12 months!

I hear what you are saying, but surely decent water resistance and removable batteries are not a good mix.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I have a 512GB Max and will be skipping this years iPhone. Instead, I bought a S10+ back in March and two Note 10+ to use on 3 of my 4 lines, the Max on the 4th.

I had a hard time putting my Note 8 and Noten 9 in the drawer because not only did they still run as buttery smooth as they did on day one, but the 8 was probably my favorite Note since the Note 4. Gone are the days when Samsung phones used to slow down after a year.

I'll still keep using my XS Max. The battery capacity still says 100% after 11 months so it will keep going for a few more years at least. Even the Note 8 was still on the original battery and gave me 2-3 days standby just as my Max does.

Samsung has come a long way baby. The last phone I ever had that lagged was the S7 edge.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have a 512GB Max and will be skipping this years iPhone. Instead, I bought a S10+ back in March and two Note 10+ to use on 3 of my 4 lines, the Max on the 4th.

I had a hard time putting my Note 8 and Noten 9 in the drawer because not only did they still run as buttery smooth as they did on day one, but the 8 was probably my favorite Note since the Note 4. Gone are the days when Samsung phones used to slow down after a year.

I'll still keep using my XS Max. The battery capacity still says 100% after 11 months so it will keep going for a few more years at least. Even the Note 8 was still on the original battery and gave me 2-3 days standby just as my Max does.

Samsung has come a long way baby. The last phone I ever had that lagged was the S7 edge.

I'm doing the opposite. Currently using the S10+ (ceramic white 1tb 12gb).

Skipping the Note 10 and getting the iPhone Pro Max. Mostly cause I been Samsung and Android saturated for the past several years, and feel the need to switch platforms again.

I'm keeping my S10+, it's rock solid from every angle. Truly have no complaints with the phone. And it still has a headphone jack. No way I'm giving this up.

I'll will most likely get the Note 11.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016

It’s the reason they find to justify the purchase they’re going to replace in the next phone release. ;)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I hear what you are saying, but surely decent water resistance and removable batteries are not a good mix.
Why not? You remove the SIM and SD card. I have a Nikon underwater camera that has a removable battery. There is a rubber seal on the battery cover.

Thrutheroofnunderground

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2018
North Carolina
I did. I went to the S10+ from iPhone XS. My typical usage remained the same. The battery life was so bad, that my iPhone XS on iOS 13 beta 8 was just as good on iOS 12.4. The S10+ did not deliver all day battery life for me.
You probably had a) always on display on, and/or 1440 instead of 1080 on. Looks great, but drains battery faster. Every video I’ve ever seen of battery drain test, the iPhone is the first to go, even with pro Apple users, usually by a good margin.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You probably had a) always on display on, and/or 1440 instead of 1080 on. Looks great, but drains battery faster. Every video I’ve ever seen of battery drain test, the iPhone is the first to go, even with pro Apple users, usually by a good margin.

Had to be something else. I keep my S10+ display on max res with AOD enabled. Battery lasts from sunset to basically midnight with my average usage.

iMelhado

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
United States

It was on 1080p. I did have the AOD on. I don't know what I did wrong, my usage was the same with my iPhone. Now, I am in no way bashing or encouraging others to NOT get a Samsung S10/+. This is purely my experience with it. With that being said, it was a decent phone, just not for me though.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well, I am up for trying android again as my 8+ is starting to get craptastic after only 9 months out. Feeling like the 6s all over again. I am not a power user, and frankly, I've been burned enough with Apple.

However, I will hold out until next year, and see if there are more Samsung A's, OnePlus and the like. I do quite like the s10e, but I need a computer (or two) before I replace yet another phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.