Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
No requirement for the Pro (the price points are too much into Mac territory), I've been happily drawing in Procreate on my aging iPad 7th gen for years now. While I would like to have a 9th gen iPad just in case, I know if I want to take advantage of Procreate with the new pencil, I will have to upgrade to a 2024 Air (At least I can give mom my 2020 Air that I bought a year after hers.)

Looking forward to this morning's event.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
No requirement for the Pro (the price points are too much into Mac territory), I've been happily drawing in Procreate on my aging iPad 7th gen for years now. While I would like to have a 9th gen iPad just in case, I know if I want to take advantage of Procreate with the new pencil, I will have to upgrade to a 2024 Air (At least I can give mom my 2020 Air that I bought a year after hers.)

Looking forward to this morning's event.
I have a 9th gen I’m about to trade in. I wasn’t gonna list it for sale or anything, but if you’re interested in it, you can PM me.

DerKommissar

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
I currently have the 10.5 Pro, and after today, I think I'm just going to get the 10th gen iPad. I think the price drop makes it a great option, especially since I can keep using my 1st gen pencil. I just don't see how the extra money is justified to move to the pro (or even the air) since I also have a M1 MacBook Air. I've given up on the idea of using the iPad as a full portable computer, but I still like the form factor for specific uses. Only thing I think I'll really miss is the 120 hz screen, but how can I pay an extra 700 or so for that?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I have a 9th gen I’m about to trade in. I wasn’t gonna list it for sale or anything, but if you’re interested in it, you can PM me.
Thank you, I will pass.

Having seen the Pro and hearing about the heat sinks and lower weight, I may just go with the Pro rather than the Air. I was not expecting Apple to finally address the heat problems and shave the weight on the Pros, so I am rethinking my initial post.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Thank you, I will pass.

Having seen the Pro and hearing about the heat sinks and lower weight, I may just go with the Pro rather than the Air. I was not expecting Apple to finally address the heat problems and shave the weight on the Pros, so I am rethinking my initial post.

Totally get it. I ordered the pro, but not positive I won’t cancel. Trying to decide how much that Face ID is worth. Lol

I really wanted to get an iPad with a landscape camera, so I knew I’d likely upgrade my current Air, but just not sure I can justify going pro just to get Face ID. I realize there are other spec and hardware upgrades, but none of those are really necessary for my use case.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Totally get it. I ordered the pro, but not positive I won’t cancel. Trying to decide how much that Face ID is worth. Lol

I really wanted to get an iPad with a landscape camera, so I knew I’d likely upgrade my current Air, but just not sure I can justify going pro just to get Face ID. I realize there are other spec and hardware upgrades, but none of those are really necessary for my use case.

The iPad Pros are aimed at consumers/businesses for productivity rather than leisure I would say. They are overkill unless you’re working on them. An Air is more equipped than i’ll ever use it for even. If you’re only buying a Pro for a landscape camera and FaceID, would it really be worth it considering the inflated premium?

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012

I hear you. Everything the new Pro offers is great. But, after thinking about it for a few hours, I just ordered two new Airs - 13-inch and 11-inch - for $100 more than a lone 13-inch Pro. I’ve owned iPads with Face ID and they’re fine. But it’s not a must-have for me. The same goes for an OLED screen and an M4 chip. And the Pros weight savings is nice, but nothing dramatic.

dturner123

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I went from Intel MacBook Pro to M2 Macbook Air last year. Now, I'm going from 12.9 inch iPad Pro (2020) to 11 inch iPad Air. I don't do much on my iPad and the big screen is too obnoxious!

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I had a 2018 iPad Pro 11. It still served its purpose if getting a little old. Then 3-4 weeks ago I managed to bust the screen…

So losing out on any meaningful trade in value and now I need to replace.

I’m weighing up finding a deal on a 22 iPad Pro or going for the 24 Air (I have a Magic Keyboard which would work with either)

I do like the new camera orientation, don’t mind too much about losing Face ID (always found it a bit unreliable at night in bed), but my main curiosity is the speaker set up on the Air - going from 4 to 2 even if the 2 in the new Air seem an upgrade over previous airs

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I have the 2nd gen. Pro. Other than battery life, it’s still going strong. But, I couldn’t justify the expense of the new Pro - while the display would be great to have, I‘m not a demanding user and would not make use of its advanced capabilities. So, it’s a new Air for me.

stephen82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
I have a 2017 10.5” Pro and a 2020 11” Pro With a Magic keyboard, which I really like. The new pro’s seem impressive with a lot of capabilities, but more than I need. My next iPad will be an 11” Air and a Pencil Pro. This will suit my needs just fine, though I’ll miss face ID and I’m not sure if not having promotion will matter. And I’ll be able to use my current Magic keyboard on both of my 11” pros - that’s a plus. I’m a heavy - general use - iPad user, but the cost of a new pro, keyboard, and pencil - is just too much for my use. But for those who can use the new pros to its fullest potential, I think the new models are a nice step forward.

Last edited:

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
5th gen 12.9" iPad Pro used still hanging in there great. Same price used or less than a new iPad Air 13"

Has an M1 vs M2. But includes better speakers, better microphones, FaceID, brighter HDR display, ProMotion and Thunderbolt connectivity.

Same with the 4th gen 11" iPad Pro. Better in almost every way and even has an M2 chip!

Reactions: outlawarth

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
There are basically five things that will influence the decision for me, in no particular order.

1. Display tech. It's all but confirmed that the Pro will get OLED, but on the off chance that the 13-inch Air gets MicroLED then that would be a big deal.

2. Processor. This isn't actually a massive deal since I'd be very happy with an M2, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) Apple have never released a device with a last generation M chip. I'd be curious to see if they release the Air with an M3, maybe with watered down power for better battery life. I can dream.

3. Weight. I'm actually a proponent of a thinner Pro, because if they can cut some weight from it, and also from the magic keyboard as a result, then it would put a lot less strain on my shoulders when I'm carrying it in a backpack, for example. Only thing is that it doesn't really make sense for them to do this for the Pro and not the Air. I mean, the whole point of the 'Air' label is that it's supposed to be lighter. Let's see if Apple addresses this.

4. Front-facing camera placement. This is a huge deal for me since I take a lot of Teams calls, and I hate it when my eyes are off-centre. Even got called out for it in a job interview once. Seems the Pro will be getting the landscape camera, but renders of the Air showed that it wouldn't. If that holds true, it would turn me off the Air big-time.

5. Price. I'm expecting the Pro to be about £350/$400 more expensive than the Air, which if the Air falls short in the above criteria would probably be worth it. The new magic keyboard for the Pro may be more pricey than whatever the Air ends up having, that will make a difference too.
Revisiting these criteria now that the new iPads have been announced.

1. Display tech. Basically what I was expecting, and we can confirm that the Air won't get MiniLED, so the upgrade to OLED will be a huge deal for consumption, and I'm willing to pay a big premium for it. YouTube and Netflix would look amazing on a 13-inch Pro. I'm conscious that after a while I won't pay attention to the difference though.

2. Processor. Kinda goes without saying, but the difference between the Pro and Air is a lot more that people were expecting. Hell, I was expecting both to have the M3. But how much that matters to me is still undefined. Both are clearly very powerful, and I honestly could give less of a toss about the AI capabilities, but futureproofing is a big deal for me. I plan on keeping whatever I buy for at least four or five years, and I don't want to find with iPad OS 20 or something that there will be some killer feature that's not available for M2 devices.

3. Weight. Actually not too fussed. I was pleasantly surprised that both the Pro and the Air are getting lighter, but the Pro is only about 6% lighter than the Air, so I doubt it would make all that much difference. I'm still interested to know more about the new keyboard though, specifically how much lighter it is and how ergonomic it is relative to the old one.

4. Front-facing camera placement. Moot point, given that both the Air and the Pro will have the landscape camera.

5. Price. This is the kicker. The Pro looks like a great device, and we didn't get that extortionate price bump that was speculated, but the difference between a Pro and an Air, both 13-inches, base storage and with a keyboard, is still a pretty hefty £550, and I'm finding it difficult to justify that bump in price. If we're being generous I'd maybe pay an extra £350 for OLED and ProMotion, £150 for the increased processing power, and £50 for the other bells and whistles (Face ID, double the storage, new keyboard, etc.) but I'm not sure if I'm being completely rational there.

TLDR: I'm torn.

Reactions: Adelphos33

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It is so hard to go away from pro motion once you are used to using it. Every time I use a lower refresh rate display, I notice the blur and lag.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
It is so hard to go away from pro motion once you are used to using it. Every time I use a lower refresh rate display, I notice the blur and lag.
Promotion is one thing I have no idea where I stand on. I'm not conscious of the refresh rate on any of my devices so I have no idea how much value I would put in it.

Reactions: agoodpub

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Promotion is one thing I have no idea where I stand on. I'm not conscious of the refresh rate on any of my devices so I have no idea how much value I would put in it.

Do you have any pro devices? I can't stand to use an old iPhone because it looks like a pure blurry mess to me. If you don't see it, be happy and save some money. It is borderline unusable for me now.

I am sure I would adjust if I was only using a device without promotion, but being my iPhone has it, it truly is that annoying for me.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Do you have any pro devices? I can't stand to use an old iPhone because it looks like a pure blurry mess to me. If you don't see it, be happy and save some money. It is borderline unusable for me now.

I am sure I would adjust if I was only using a device without promotion, but being my iPhone has it, it truly is that annoying for me.
It definitely depends on the person as not everybody notices it. I have a Pro iPhone and an iPad that doesn't have Promotion and don't notice it at all. I suppose I am lucky in that respect as I can get the benefits of not having a Pro iPad.

Reactions: aurora_sect

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

No I have an iPhone 12 and an M1 iMac, neither of which have it afaik.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No I have an iPhone 12 and an M1 iMac, neither of which have it afaik.

I never notice it on a Mac, it is just the iPhones/iPads. It never bothered me previously until I started using an iPhone pro. I tried to use my wife's iPhone 12 a few weeks ago, and it was wild how blurry it seemed.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

I use iPad Pro but also regular iPhone 14 and MacBook Air (both don’t have promotion) every day. No issue at all. But… I have friend that experienced this issue - to the point where he just left his iPhone 12 regular because of the screen is not promotion. It seems, this applied to few particular cases only.

Reactions: mattopotamus

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I never notice it on a Mac, it is just the iPhones/iPads. It never bothered me previously until I started using an iPhone pro. I tried to use my wife's iPhone 12 a few weeks ago, and it was wild how blurry it seemed.

I read an article on why some people notice it much more than others. Someone like yourself is sensitive to motion and it’s linked to the quality of your visual acuity. We only really process 30fps and some people will notice iPhones at 120hz are much smoother, whereas others will also be able to process a 60hz display as smooth. I appear to be lucky as my eyes can process both, hence why I see little difference between my 120hz iPhone and my 60hz iPad.

So there is a difference in these devices, but it’s largely down to the individual as to how much of a difference it makes.

Reactions: mattopotamus

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Going from a 2018 12.9 IPP and will be purchasing a 2024 12.9 iPad Air. Reason not iPad Pro is that I specifically want the bigger screen for Notability/Goodnotes use to track all my dialysis notes, handle PDF markups and sign documents.

My IPP is what I take with me into dialysis, so the new IPA will become the daily driver.

Tom

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Picked up a 22 Pro rather than a 24 Air. I can just about rationalise the £175 price difference (one od the last discounted models on Amazon)

Reactions: leifp

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
It definitely depends on the person as not everybody notices it. I have a Pro iPhone and an iPad that doesn't have Promotion and don't notice it at all. I suppose I am lucky in that respect as I can get the benefits of not having a Pro iPad.
I notice it if I consciously think about it and a/b one right next to the other, primarily when scrolling. But for me it does not really affect my overall experience once I move on to the actual doing of things on my new iPad Air, which I am quite happy with as a replacement for my 2017 10.5" Pro. So yes, experiences vary by user and not everyone thinks the Pro's display is worth the extra money. Therefore, I strongly recommend checking them out in person as the best way to decide.

Reactions: Isamilis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.