Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer aluminium or stainless steel sides?

• Aluminium

Votes: 141 49.6%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 143 50.4%

• Total voters

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It corrodes more if it’s unanodised and submersed in water for a considerable time before being exposed to oxygen or set in concrete for a number of years. Like yourself, I’d be interested to hear how the 7000 series aerospace aluminium that’s used in an iPhone is more susceptible to corrosion though lol.
Purest form it dissolves in water.

Galvanization it’ll corrode. This doesn’t affect it in product use temperatures.

It does not rust. Doesn’t need other metals to achieve that as well, steel does.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Purest form it dissolves in water.

Galvanization it’ll corrode. This doesn’t affect it in product use temperatures.

It does not rust. Doesn’t need other metals to achieve that as well, steel does.

I tend to design with 6000 series alloys like 6061 and 6082T6 and we encounter oxidation unless we anodise. Bare steel will cause this which is why we have to zinc plate any components in contact with it to form a barrier. It is a great material though and so much better for the environment than most steels.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A iPhone case makes this discussion moot. lol

Unwilling to have an iPhone without one as I drop my phone once a day.

Exactly this. My iPhone has stainless sides and it offers absolutely no benefit to me whatsoever as it’s heavy and hidden inside a case anyway. It looks awful when on display as it’s always covered in fingerprints too.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I tend to design with 6000 series alloys like 6061 and 6082T6 and we encounter oxidation unless we anodise. Bare steel will cause this which is why we have to zinc plate any components in contact with it to form a barrier. It is a great material though and so much better for the environment than most steels.

Yet I thought when aluminum oxidizes it’s a natural state and it protects the rest of the element. Oxidization is not corrosion. Galvanization in Aluminum is corrosion.

Unless I’m heavily mistaken.

Now to pick your brain WTF is Chromolly? (BMX bikes of the 80’s).

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
I don't think these smudges give a classy look:

When I first saw glossy stainless-steel edges, I thought that Apple designers have lost the rest of their good taste (following the notch).

I'm for aluminium every day: lightweight, no fingerprints, easy to hold, nice matte look, works as a heat sink.

Smudges never ruin my day!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yet I thought when aluminum oxidizes it’s a natural state and it protects the rest of the element. Oxidization is not corrosion. Galvanization in Aluminum is corrosion.

Unless I’m heavily mistaken.

Now to pick your brain WTF is Chromolly? (BMX bikes of the 80’s).

Oxidation isn’t defined as corrosion as far as I am aware, just a change in the surface of the material. You’re right, galvanic corrosion occurs when bare steels come into contact with the alloy and this causes the alloy to break down as the steel increases in strength. I did a module on this in university about 20 years ago and forget most of it lol.

Chromoly was used for bikes like BMX’s due to its higher yield/tensile strength over standard steels I believe. The gauge could also be decreased due to its higher mechanical properties to allow manufacturers to save weight. I know it was also used a lot for subframes in Formula 1 (pre-carbon fibre era) too for these reasons.

Sorry for the tangent lol.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
This discussion about corrosion or oxidation might be interesting but is irrelevant as there are no untreated Alu products from apple.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Odd. I bet you don’t feel that way with the MBP, MBA, Max Mini, iMac and Mac Pro.

Imagine the weight on any of those products!!

The low end PowerMac G5 non dual cpu weight roughly 60lbs ! Real life maybe 45lbs but carry that for 100m and you’ll have a bicep pump the likes that Arnold Schwarzenegger would have loved to have on stage Mr Olympia #5!

Magnesium allow is lighter than both steel and aluminiium without the cost.

Apple is so insanely great at metal finishing painting and polishing.

We loved the shine of the iPhone 5S campherd edges right?
The iPhone 6/7 didn’t have polished edges. The first SE had a muted matter edge which I loved better than the 5/5S.

When the X debuted that’s when this fixation of shiny edges & stainless steel happened. Fingerprint magnets - I’m betting after naked use of iPhone pro you’re not seeing the premium feel looking at all the fingerprints.

Especially if you wear hand creme like me daily ;)

I have clear skins on the sides of my 14 Pro Max so I don’t see the smudges and I use a Phone rebel case with exposed sides and a clear back. I don’t have a Apple laptop so I can’t comment on that. I use hand cream several times a day and the clear skins are great on the sides.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
i use to be pro aluminium for the weight savings, until I ding the camera rings on my blue iPhone 12.

No idea how it even happen, since I actually had the phone in a case, which had a lip around the camera cutout, specifically to prevent damage to the camera.

Yet somehow it was damaged and the paint was chipped off on both my rear cameras on iPhone 12.

Have been using a Sierra blue iPhone 13 Pro Max since Oct 2021, so far no dings or scratches.

Originally I use to have ring protectors for my cameras but ultimately took them off as I believe the stainless steel rings are able to withstand and shrug off most damages cause by normal day to dat usage.

So far so good.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oxidation isn’t defined as corrosion as far as I am aware, just a change in the surface of the material. You’re right, galvanic corrosion occurs when bare steels come into contact with the alloy and this causes the alloy to break down as the steel increases in strength. I did a module on this in university about 20 years ago and forget most of it lol.

Chromoly was used for bikes like BMX’s due to its higher yield/tensile strength over standard steels I believe. The gauge could also be decreased due to its higher mechanical properties to allow manufacturers to save weight. I know it was also used a lot for subframes in Formula 1 (pre-carbon fibre era) too for these reasons.

Sorry for the tangent lol.

Thank you. I learned a lot. Much appreciated. Not a tangent

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just want whatever makes my phone as light as possible.
Bingo.

When anyone of us has their iPhone (base or Pro models) drop, trust me the LESS weight it has equals to the LEAST damage.

Titanium is strong but super expensive in comparison to other models in consumer products at this size or price levels. Magnesium alloy would be great, as it’s cheaper yet unfortunately more malleable.

Three words: brushed finish titanium
3 words: Damn super expensive.

The iPhone 5S polished with chamfered edges, nobody complained then about non premium feel.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I just want an iPhone out of the box that’s not the shoe equivalent of a glass slipper.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
for drop resilience and of course weight, some forms of plastic are the best. many will cover their phones in a case anyway.
and of course as little use of glass as possible... certainly not on the back of the device where it does have no proper function anyway.

Reactions: Annv
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.