Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer aluminium or stainless steel sides?

• Aluminium

Votes: 141 49.6%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 143 50.4%

• Total voters

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
a 13 or 13 Mini is the device will get hot quickly compared to Pro and Pro Max

The aluminum getting hot is a benefit, not a drawback. The heating means it's conducting heat away from the CPU, which is what really needs to be kept cool for long life of the device. If the steel isn't getting hot, it means the heat's staying on the CPU, which could fail faster because if it.

aluminum bends and melts very easily compared to steel

I'd be interested to know what you're running on your phone where it gets hot enough to melt aluminum! :)

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I prefer the stainless steel. It looks sharp and quality feels superb. The durability of the PVD coatings is impressive.

I have both a 12 Pro Max and a 12 Mini. There is no mistake of which feels like the higher quality phone to me (Pro) despite the mini being very nice.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I prefer the stainless steel. It looks sharp and quality feels superb. The durability of the PVD coatings is impressive.

I have both a 12 Pro Max and a 12 Mini. There is no mistake of which feels like the higher quality phone to me (Pro) despite the mini being very nice.

It all depends what the user wants out of a phone I think. My iPhone is in a case all the time, so the edges are irrelevant to me. If I didn’t use a case I would be replacing my phone an awful lot due to how fragile the glass is on modern smartphones. I’ve never owned an Apple product that didn’t feel well made or high end personally and I get that stainless steel is a perceived ‘high end’ material in this particular market despite the fact the grade of aluminium Apple uses is also very high end in terms of its mechanical properties and cost. It’s much easier the machine and process which is where it becomes cheaper. The material itself is just as premium. That’s irrelevant to the average consumer though no doubt lol.

Reactions: azhava

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I think the reason why people feel the aluminum is "cheaper" looking than the SS is the way it's finished. Personally, I hate the current SS. Looks awful. The aluminum has a bad finish that makes it look almost plasticy, but I still prefer the matte quality and the lighter weight.

That said, I just got a chip in my 13 mini, filed it down so it was smooth. Noticed how nice the raw aluminum was underneath and couldn't stop. Took all of the finish off (midnight) and it's now my favorite finish. Doubt I'll be able to trade it in now, but oh well!

Reactions: Barbareren

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Shiny aluminum will oxidize to a dull finish that doesn't look very good. Removing the anodized coating like that might look good now, but it will eventually turn dull.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The strength of steel is irrelevant on an iPhone because of the fragility of the glass back with is prone to shattering. I would personally go with aluminium for a less weighty experience. I find both finishes to be premium so it’s not an issue that would keep me up at night. I still think the aluminium chassis of the 5/SE and 6/7 lines are high quality and do not detract from the premium feel of those phones at all.

ogmcgibblets

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
stainless steel is harder to work with. even though material cost be might be cheaper, cost of labor may be higher. and requires longer times to finish/polish. also stainless steel is a lot stronger than aluminum and less likely to flex.

i doubt apple is spending more money on a cheaper model iphone.
they will sell way more iphone 14/plus than the 14 pro/max.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
stainless steel is harder to work with. even though material cost be might be cheaper, cost of labor may be higher. and requires longer times to finish/polish. also stainless steel is a lot stronger than aluminum and less likely to flex.

i doubt apple is spending more money on a cheaper model iphone.
they will sell way more iphone 14/plus than the 14 pro/max.

This is a point I’ve made many times over the years in regards to material cost. Stainless isn’t a more premium material than 7000 series Aluminium, we just pay more for it due to a higher processing cost. Tool speeds, tool wear, finishing costs are from what I have read, around six times longer than aluminium in this regard. As a raw material, the alloy is more expensive per kg.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
With the coating they use that also adds the color, the stainless really holds up beautifully. That's why I like it.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
This is a point I’ve made many times over the years in regards to material cost. Stainless isn’t a more premium material than 7000 series Aluminium, we just pay more for it due to a higher processing cost. Tool speeds, tool wear, finishing costs are from what I have read, around six times longer than aluminium in this regard. As a raw material, the alloy is more expensive per kg.

We do not pay more due to higher processing costs. Higher processing costs potentially affect Apple's profit margin, but the cost of manufacturing has no bearing on the consumer price. This is such a pervasive misunderstanding of economics that even financial news reporters often get this wrong.

The only thing that affects the consumer price is how much people are willing to pay. If they make something with a shiny finish and heavier weight, and consumers are willing to pay more money for it, that's why we pay more.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Firstly, aluminium is actually three times more expensive than steel, so it's ironic stainless steel is reserved for the premium models. Aluminium is also lighter, which as iPhones grow bigger and thicker would keep the weight down.

Perhaps Apple feel the shiny stainless steel looks more premium, but I've always been more impressed with the anodized aluminium sides on iPhones. The stainless steel wasn't too bad on the rounded corners on the X/XS/11 Pro but on the new flat edges it turns into a disaster within seconds of handling your phone. It completely subverts the premium image that Apple is aiming for.

I've seen a lot consumers wishing for matte sides on the Pro & Pro Max models. Even matte steel would be better but I'd still take aluminium out of the two.

Is there any chance that Apple will use aluminium sides on the iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max models or we stuck with steel?
No, please no, aluminum is so soft, there will be dents and chips galore.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I use a case as well, so I never care about what the sides are made of. But speaking of metals… Whatever happened to them using the amorphous alloy Liquid Metal?

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
We do not pay more due to higher processing costs. Higher processing costs potentially affect Apple's profit margin, but the cost of manufacturing has no bearing on the consumer price. This is such a pervasive misunderstanding of economics that even financial news reporters often get this wrong.

The only thing that affects the consumer price is how much people are willing to pay. If they make something with a shiny finish and heavier weight, and consumers are willing to pay more money for it, that's why we pay more.
well to certain degree yes. The stainless steel makes about $10 diff. But when u look at the complete BOM list, prices went up from $300 iphone 8 to now $500.

No company will just swallow $200 when they produce millions of them

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
I don't think these smudges give a classy look:

When I first saw glossy stainless-steel edges, I thought that Apple designers have lost the rest of their good taste (following the notch).

I'm for aluminium every day: lightweight, no fingerprints, easy to hold, nice matte look, works as a heat sink.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
well to certain degree yes. The stainless steel makes about $10 diff. But when u look at the complete BOM list, prices went up from $300 iphone 8 to now $500.

No company will just swallow $200 when they produce millions of them

The consumer is the only one who has a say over how much they're willing to pay for something. If a company makes something that has a higher cost to them, it's their gamble. Apple made the decision to increase their costs and take the risk that people would pay the increased price, and it does seem to work for them. It's all about making a product that has features where the consumer feels like it's worth paying the extra money for.

Apple has made many products that people just won't pay for, and they fail. Like the real gold Apple Watch. Some of this could be part of a marketing strategy where they don't actually expect it to sell, but it makes people associate their products as "premium", which then makes consumers willing to pay a higher price for other products based only on the perception.

Reactions: maerz001

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Aluminum can react with body oils and some chemicals.

Pure alu yes, but not the anodized alu Apple uses.

All laptops they sell since the PowerBook G4 have the same coating. There is no reaction with body parts

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Me personally if Apple switched to Aluminum sides on the Pro models, I would never purchase another Pro model. The Stainless Steel feel more premium in the hand than aluminum. Plus what they charge for the Pro models, I would never pay that for aluminum. My 12 Pro Max don’t feel any heavier than my XS Max. I’ve also switched from using bulky cases (stopped after X) to thin cases which don’t add any extra weight to my phone.

Odd. I bet you don’t feel that way with the MBP, MBA, Max Mini, iMac and Mac Pro.

Imagine the weight on any of those products!!

The low end PowerMac G5 non dual cpu weight roughly 60lbs ! Real life maybe 45lbs but carry that for 100m and you’ll have a bicep pump the likes that Arnold Schwarzenegger would have loved to have on stage Mr Olympia #5!

Magnesium allow is lighter than both steel and aluminiium without the cost.

Apple is so insanely great at metal finishing painting and polishing.

We loved the shine of the iPhone 5S campherd edges right?
The iPhone 6/7 didn’t have polished edges. The first SE had a muted matter edge which I loved better than the 5/5S.

When the X debuted that’s when this fixation of shiny edges & stainless steel happened. Fingerprint magnets - I’m betting after naked use of iPhone pro you’re not seeing the premium feel looking at all the fingerprints.

Especially if you wear hand creme like me daily ;)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Based on what?

Stainless Steel is stronger, less corrosive, less malleable, and while cost by weight aluminum is more expensive, cost by volume (the number that matters), steel is much more expensive.

not to mention part of something being premium is what society and culture dictate as premium, and the general consensus of society is that stainless steel is a more premium material than aluminum.
Where do you get that aluminum is more corrosive?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Where do you get that aluminum is more corrosive?

It corrodes more if it’s unanodised and submersed in water for a considerable time before being exposed to oxygen or set in concrete for a number of years. Like yourself, I’d be interested to hear how the 7000 series aerospace aluminium that’s used in an iPhone is more susceptible to corrosion though lol.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.