Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer aluminium or stainless steel sides?

• Aluminium

Votes: 141 49.6%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 143 50.4%

• Total voters

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I want titanium on everything: iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, and Apple Watch. So far they’ve only done Apple Watch, unless you count the really old PowerBooks. Maybe they’ll bring it back like the colorful iMacs.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I have a 12 Pro Max and a 12 mini.

I really like the 12 mini, but there's no question the stainless steel feels much more premium. Same with my Apple Watch.

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
I have always preferred the mat finish of aluminum to the shiny look of stainless steel.
Interesting. Maybe that is the reason but when I got the Aluminium AW 3, I thought it looked a bit classier than the stainless steel Samsung Gear S3 Frontier

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Interesting. Maybe that is the reason but when I got the Aluminium AW 3, I thought it looked a bit classier than the stainless steel Samsung Gear S3 Frontier
I agree. I just got my first apple watch Nike edition which only comes in aluminum And depending on what band i use, it can look sporty or classy. Plus it’s lighter than the stainless steel....um...and less expensive! ??

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Firstly, aluminium is actually three times more expensive than steel, so it's ironic stainless steel is reserved for the premium models. Aluminium is also lighter, which as iPhones grow bigger and thicker would keep the weight down.

Perhaps Apple feel the shiny stainless steel looks more premium, but I've always been more impressed with the anodized aluminium sides on iPhones. The stainless steel wasn't too bad on the rounded corners on the X/XS/11 Pro but on the new flat edges it turns into a disaster within seconds of handling your phone. It completely subverts the premium image that Apple is aiming for.

I've seen a lot consumers wishing for matte sides on the Pro & Pro Max models. Even matte steel would be better but I'd still take aluminium out of the two.

Is there any chance that Apple will use aluminium sides on the iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max models or we stuck with steel?
You compare the price of aluminum to the price of steel. Then state the fact that the sides are made of stainless steel. Stainless steel is more expensive than steel. However, I agree that the polished stainless steel isn't practical. It looks nice, only if you don't touch it. And, it doesn't provide a nice grip.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I'm so surprised folks have voted this way.

The coating on the stainless steel makes the phone durable too. You can scratch the anodized aluminum much easier than that PVC coating.

The stainless steel phones feel of super quality to me. The aluminum, cheaper. I don't have anything against the aluminum phones, I just find the stainless steel with PVC is the much more premium combination.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

The coating on the stainless steel makes the phone durable too. You can scratch the anodized aluminum much easier than that PVC coating.

The stainless steel phones feel of super quality to me. The aluminum, cheaper. I don't have anything against the aluminum phones, I just find the stainless steel with PVC is the much more premium combination.

I think it shows that not everybody’s perception of aluminium is ‘cheap’. I certainly don’t hold my iPhone 12 and think it feels cheap that’s for sure.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I think it shows that not everybody’s perception of aluminium is ‘cheap’. I certainly don’t hold my iPhone 12 and think it feels cheap that’s for sure.

I also wonder how many that voted have held both. I have a 12 mini and a 12 Pro Max so I can go back and forth and feel the difference.

Reactions: ericwn

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Based on what?

Stainless Steel is stronger, less corrosive, less malleable, and while cost by weight aluminum is more expensive, cost by volume (the number that matters), steel is much more expensive.

not to mention part of something being premium is what society and culture dictate as premium, and the general consensus of society is that stainless steel is a more premium material than aluminum.
It probably costs more to cut the steel, polish it to pretty flawless mirror finish, and the surface treat the metal for color and scratch resistance, than to cut and anodize the aluminum. The stainless is pretty nicely finished.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I would much prefer aluminum over steel. Heck, I would prefer plastic over steel.
The iPhone 5c took a lot of grief here. But that was one solid phone, and looked new until I shattered the screen.
Also, it was grippy. No case needed. But the stainless 12 pro is slippery like wet soap bars. Cant even put it in pockets without a case, as they slide out.

Reactions: ericwn

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

I think the issue with the Stainless steel frame on the 12 Pro models, is more the look and appearance of the polished finish, which some people think looks a bit like shiny plastic, and by extension cheap looking. There is no question that Stainless Steel is a premium metal, very hard and durable, but Apple should have kept it Brushed / Matte like the Iphone 4 frame.

Reactions: Annv and Barbareren

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The iPhone 5c took a lot of grief here. But that was one solid phone, and looked new until I shattered the screen.
Also, it was grippy. No case needed. But the stainless 12 pro is slippery like wet soap bars. Cant even put it in pockets without a case, as they slide out.

I agree. While plastic may not be for everyone the 5C felt great in the hand.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I like stainless steel but just so some are aware the sides of my iPhone 11 Pro Max are completely scratched and grazed cause of a certain smart battery case that I am using so it's best to be aware about which exact phone case is good for your phone.

I would stick with Otterbox, lifeproof etc

(using Apple smart battery case)

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
The iPhone 4 and 4s had brushed stainless steal. I‘m thinking Apple won’t go that route because it looks similar to aluminum. But it would be super nice on the pro models.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Is it too heavy for you? The weight doesn’t really matter to me. It’s not like it’s a 10 lb phone. Just get the aluminum one
The weight isn’t a major issue for me, the lens choice/systems are. If the regular 6.1” had the same lenses I would have a lot more trouble choosing as screen size is also important to me and so much is wasted on Face ID phones. That said, the pro max is noticeably heavier in my pocket than the 6s+.

ionasdf

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2021
Finland
Polished stainless caseless all day every day. Hated how slippery and soft my iPhone 8 was, managed to get a deep scratch in the frame from accidentally touching a sharp metal surface in my car, and dropped it few times a month. Ended up having to get a case on it and cheap plastic case on a premium phone is just not a thing I wanna live with.

Price and the illusion of "heavy = premium" I could not care less about, even though those seem to be the main points of this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.