Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer aluminium or stainless steel sides?

• Aluminium

Votes: 141 49.6%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 143 50.4%

• Total voters

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
Yes, but it’s heavier, and I prefer the feel and appearance of the 5s/12 (non pro) models, or even the 6s style but I’ve hated the slippery shape of the 6-11 models from the beginning.
Is it too heavy for you? The weight doesn’t really matter to me. It’s not like it’s a 10 lb phone. Just get the aluminum one

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
Why not offer the pro model in a variety of materials? What if I like the aluminum phones but I want the Pro cameras?
Dont you put a case on it any way. If not who cares what the sides look like they’re just gonna get messed up.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Brushed Stainless Steel > Everything else

I don’t mind the weight, my biggest pet peeve with Stainless Steel is how nasty it looks after just minutes in the hand. Also the fact that it’s so shiny is a bit gaudy tbh.

A brushed version of that would look incredibly premium yet understated and keep clean a lot easier.
Stainless steel can be matte or polished. Apple chooses polished, probably because it‘s easier to keep clean (ironically). Aluminum is a fine material but definitely has a cheaper feel to me and I’ve found it to dent easily on previous iPhones.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I would absolutely enjoy an aluminum pro with a frosted glass back—less finger printing and lower weight. However, I don’t foresee apple ever doing that. SS is part of the premium pricing scheme.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Aluminum has better thermal conductivity and dissipates heat faster than steel. Aluminum sides also don't like look a mushy mess within seconds of holding the phone.

Like I said, people fell for marketing hype and think the shinier the phone the more premium it must be.
So you'd go with a softer material that scratches easier and takes more impact damage ... because of fingerprints? Do you, even for a minute, not realize that it is you that has fallen for superficial marketing just as much as anyone else? Fingerprints? On the sides? Perish the thought! Steel might be "cheaper" but it is harder to machine, more expensive to ship, etc. Not to mention most people use a case, so none that is going to matter anyway.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So you'd go with a softer material that scratches easier and takes more impact damage ... because of fingerprints? Do you, even for a minute, not realize that it is you that has fallen for superficial marketing just as much as anyone else? Fingerprints? On the sides? Perish the thought! Steel might be "cheaper" but it is harder to machine, more expensive to ship, etc. Not to mention most people use a case, so none that is going to matter anyway.

That’s the key point here I think lol. When the phone is in a case like a huge amount are, the finish on the edges means diddly squat. My blue iPhone 12 has lovely anodised blue edges but I only see them when I remove the phone form the case to remove any dirt lol. The lighter feel is more relevant to me than the look to be fair.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I actually like having the extra weight from steel. It feels durable and refined, and I feel like I can depend on it. ?‍♂️

Reactions: transpo1

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Aluminium has better thermal conductivity and dissipates heat faster than steel. Aluminium sides also don't like look a mushy mess within seconds of holding the phone.

Like I said, people fell for marketing hype and think the shinier the phone the more premium it must be.
But alu is softer. My 6s and 5s had quite a few dings and looked no good after a few drops.
my xs has scratches but at least kept the shape.
What you forgot in your calculation (marketing bashing) is that stainless steel is much harder to mill. Thats why production time/cost is higher. Plus the mentioned cost/volume.

Reactions: transpo1

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Again, Apple used al 7000 series only for the iphone 6s i think...and even that is cheaper than stainless steel, at least than the Type 410 that is the basic
Apple is using the Type 414 this type has increased Nickel content (around 2%) for improved corrosion resistance. It also include springs and cutlery.
Apple can even go higher to the 904L steel...but it will make the phone even more expensive...while with aluminium cannot go more than 8000 grade for the bigger devices (but for most 7000 series)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
i really hope you are kidding...
and no, you will not see aluminium on the Pro models

I think he was exaggerating with the three times the price comment but with the prices of metals at the moment, aluminium especially 7000 series is more expensive than 316L SS. Not bothered what the Pro models use personally as they don’t interest me but glad Apple is using premium materials across their entire range. That’s got to be a positive for all iPhone users.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Again, Apple used al 7000 series only for the iphone 6s i think...and even that is cheaper than stainless steel, at least than the Type 410 that is the basic
Apple is using the Type 414 this type has increased Nickel content (around 2%) for improved corrosion resistance. It also include springs and cutlery.
Apple can even go higher to the 904L steel...but it will make the phone even more expensive...while with aluminium cannot go more than 8000 grade for the bigger devices (but for most 7000 series)

Type 414 is not surgical grade so if Apple are using it in the current iPhones then they are mis-selling as they are marketing it as surgical grade stainless steel. Apple are using 7000 series (7075) in current iPhones as far as I am aware as that is aerospace grade, again part of their current marketing. They wouldn’t need to go to 8000 series for this application as it would be pointless. Not sure how closely you’re following the prices as aluminium has shot higher than stainless in £/kg in recent weeks and many manufacturers are trying to fix contracts beyond the quarter right now.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
Firstly, aluminium is actually three times more expensive than steel, so it's ironic stainless steel is reserved for the premium models. Aluminium is also lighter, which as iPhones grow bigger and thicker would keep the weight down.

Perhaps Apple feel the shiny stainless steel looks more premium, but I've always been more impressed with the anodized aluminium sides on iPhones. The stainless steel wasn't too bad on the rounded corners on the X/XS/11 Pro but on the new flat edges it turns into a disaster within seconds of handling your phone. It completely subverts the premium image that Apple is aiming for.

I've seen a lot consumers wishing for matte sides on the Pro & Pro Max models. Even matte steel would be better but I'd still take aluminium out of the two.

Is there any chance that Apple will use aluminium sides on the iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max models or we stuck with steel?
The SS looks premium. Simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.