Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
Mine keep disconnecting from my iPhone randomly throughout the day. Also sometimes it shows that they’re connected but sound doesn’t come through so I’ll have to reconnect them. Hope this is just a software issue.
Yes, same here.

Often after pausing for a minute or two (via AirPod squeeze) and then attempting to resume, I notice they have been disconnected.

Have had 2 previous pairs of (non-pro) AirPods (1st and 2nd gen) and never experienced this.

Also hoping to hear the same from plenty of others, to suggest it’s software as you say.

Running 5A377, which I believe is the most up-to-date firmware, and iOS 16.0.2.

LionAlonso

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2021
No problem here till now.
Iphone 12 pro max.
Could you guys tell the mobile or system you are using and when it happens?
For example if you are in the gym with heaavy interferences with others bluetooth devices it could be normal.

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
No problem here till now.
Iphone 12 pro max.
Could you guys tell the mobile or system you are using and when it happens?
For example if you are in the gym with heaavy interferences with others bluetooth devices it could be normal.
I’ve barely left the house with them so far. Out in the garden doing non-machinery work mostly, with minimal electromagnetic interference.

I’ve only used them with my iPhone 11 so far, but am usually in range of my iMac, MacBook Air, Apple TVs and Apple Watch with them so have wondered if maybe they’ve tried to hop onto one of those other devices while the iPhone playback is paused.

But as I say, this hasn’t occurred with my previous AirPods, or my Beats Solo Pro.

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
Also, I noticed when my wife opened her AirPods case yesterday morning, my AirPods Pro 2 disconnected temporarily. We’re on different iCloud accounts, so there ought to be no crossover.

Something funky is going on somewhere.

SteveChocz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2022
I’ve barely left the house with them so far. Out in the garden doing non-machinery work mostly, with minimal electromagnetic interference.

I’ve only used them with my iPhone 11 so far, but am usually in range of my iMac, MacBook Air, Apple TVs and Apple Watch with them so have wondered if maybe they’ve tried to hop onto one of those other devices while the iPhone playback is paused.

But as I say, this hasn’t occurred with my previous AirPods, or my Beats Solo Pro.
I’m using an iPhone 11 too? I wonder if it has something to do with it.

Reactions: akb

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
I have been plague with apple music dropping audio since ios 16, not sure it related to but from homepod, APM, APP I experienced this recently. Apple music keep playing but no audio in the connected device

Reactions: chukwithak

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
I have connection issues as well. Similar to others sometimes it shows connected to my iPhone in settings but there’s no audio playing through AirPods just through iPhone and the AirPods do not show up drop down shade.

I also have been experiencing a strange audio effect playing YouTube or Netflix where if I scrub or skip forward or back the audio changes to sounding a bit echoey or hollow or something and then scrubbing or skipping again fixes it.

At this point not sure if this is a software specific thing and I should wait for updates or order a different unit and return this one

Reactions: 76haz

LionAlonso

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2021
I have connection issues as well. Similar to others sometimes it shows connected to my iPhone in settings but there’s no audio playing through AirPods just through iPhone and the AirPods do not show up drop down shade.

I also have been experiencing a strange audio effect playing YouTube or Netflix where if I scrub or skip forward or back the audio changes to sounding a bit echoey or hollow or something and then scrubbing or skipping again fixes it.

At this point not sure if this is a software specific thing and I should wait for updates or order a different unit and return this one
I have noticed the audio problem on a call, with ANC on it started to be echoey, but i putted them at transparency and back to ANC and solved.
Kinda strange
If u go to record sone audio note in iphones app with ANC sometimes happen, just talk and u see ur voice kinda strange.
But turning on and off seems to solve it, has to be software i guess.
Early adopters….

Reactions: Lotuskid

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
I have noticed the audio problem on a call, with ANC on it started to be echoey, but i putted them at transparency and back to ANC and solved.
Kinda strange
If u go to record sone audio note in iphones app with ANC sometimes happen, just talk and u see ur voice kinda strange.
But turning on and off seems to solve it, has to be software i guess.
Early adopters….
Yup similar behavior. Doing something to interrupt the audio and then resuming it again resolves the echo, but for playing a video simply pausing and resuming doesn’t do anything.

I went ahead and ordered a second pair from Amazon to compare. If it’s the same behavior then maybe we can chalk it up to software bugs. But some others have commented they have no issues they’ve experienced.

For the record I’m using them with a 14 pro max both in latest firmware versions.

And this morning I was watching a YouTube video on my Mac and even though it showed connected it wouldn’t switch to the audio on my iPhone. Restarting the iPhone, placing both earbuds into the case then allowed them to connect to the iPhone.

It’s too bad because I’m loving the audio quality and noise cancellation otherwise 😂

LionAlonso

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2021
Yup similar behavior. Doing something to interrupt the audio and then resuming it again resolves the echo, but for playing a video simply pausing and resuming doesn’t do anything.

I went ahead and ordered a second pair from Amazon to compare. If it’s the same behavior then maybe we can chalk it up to software bugs. But some others have commented they have no issues they’ve experienced.

For the record I’m using them with a 14 pro max both in latest firmware versions.

And this morning I was watching a YouTube video on my Mac and even though it showed connected it wouldn’t switch to the audio on my iPhone. Restarting the iPhone, placing both earbuds into the case then allowed them to connect to the iPhone.

It’s too bad because I’m loving the audio quality and noise cancellation otherwise 😂
Please, tell us if you see similar behaviour in the new ones.
I really think its software issue.
Ill be waiting for Your reply!
Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: 76haz and Lotuskid

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Maybe try disabling bluetooth for the device(s) on which it isn’t really necessary to prevent interference? Also, do any of you use AirTags? I began having a similar issue with my gen 1 Pros cutting out before I returned the AirTag, thus fixing the problem.

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
Maybe try disabling bluetooth for the device(s) on which it isn’t really necessary to prevent interference? Also, do any of you use AirTags? I began having a similar issue with my gen 1 Pros cutting out before I returned the AirTag, thus fixing the problem.
No AirTags in my apartment but I do have an iPad and MacBook that the AirPods will bounce between.

I'm trying to pay attention to how it behaves with the MacBook since its not an iOS device, and so far I'm not experiencing the same behavior with the MacBook. Connects correctly and no funny audio issues.

Maybe it's isolated to how it behaves with the iPhones which has the newer bluetooth 5.3

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Yes, same here.

Often after pausing for a minute or two (via AirPod squeeze) and then attempting to resume, I notice they have been disconnected.

Have had 2 previous pairs of (non-pro) AirPods (1st and 2nd gen) and never experienced this.

Also hoping to hear the same from plenty of others, to suggest it’s software as you say.

Running 5A377, which I believe is the most up-to-date firmware, and iOS 16.0.2.
This. I have owned 2 pair of AirPods Pro Gen 1 and both of them had this issue.
I am now so sick of this so I have tossed them and using Jabra instead with no issues.
I thought this issue was only on Gen 1 but now this problem is also in Gen 2.
Sorry Apple, I will not buy another AirPods until you fix this.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Maybe it's isolated to how it behaves with the iPhones which has the newer bluetooth 5.3
Oh, weird, do you have one of the 14s? Other than the anomaly with the short-lived AirTag I have had nothing but rock-solid reliability between various models of AirPods and iPads/iPhones (the newest iPhone being a 13 mini; I don’t have a 14).

I do shut bluetooth off on devices when it isn’t necessary, though. The only bluetooth I always leave on (although in that gray half-sleep state) is on my phone so that it can communicate with my watch.

musician.tech

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Just had the APP2 disconnect/reconnect/disconnect mid song. When connection dropped it played through iPhone. Hope there’s a firmware fix soon!

Reactions: akb

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
I have no issues. Only once the ANC control on Mac was behaving buggy, I reconnected and had no issues anymore: used it out and inside

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not so far. Ran 4 miles with them at gym. Had two emails come through (an interruption) and I told siri to shut up twice. Music picked up from where it was.

SteveChocz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2022
People who experienced the issue, which version are your AirPods on? Trying to find a connection here😅

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
No issues here either. They connect super quick and stay connected. Love the new APP2.

Hanye

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
Nishitokyo-shi, Tokyo
Similar issue here. Sometimes audio would drop for a very short momment when I lock and unlock my iphone. And a little lag between left and right side when I change modes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.