Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LionAlonso

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2021
Issues here as well. Sometimes audio will drop out for a few seconds and my left ear feels like it's in transparency mode (I'm in ANC mode) and then re-connects.

Also won't move from my Mac mini to iPhone automatically (or vice versa).
That happens to me in phone calls.
I hace discovered it happens if i put the microphone in left ome always.
Im thinking it could be hardware issue.

nies

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
have had some intermittent issues, but forgetting device and repairing seems to at least temporarily fixed the issue. Also having issues when connected to a Surface Pro. Audio is fine, then at some point it will turn to static and sound like the audio is coming out of a tin can. Disconnect and reconnecting fixed that as well, but it has happened multiple times.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Mine drop from my M1 Mac but never my iPhone as best I can tell from this past week. Was able to use them all weekend but first meeting back.. dropped just a few minutes into the call.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Sometimes when my Pro 2 first connects, I'll immediately get ANC, then a second or two later the ANC turns off, the connection is lost, a couple seconds later I hear the connection bong, the ANC turns back on, and all is good. Anyone else seeing this?

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
May 9, 2020
Ive noticed tonight that video stops playing and it seems ANC cuts off on my left AirPod. I then realised it was actually a bit loose in my left ear, compared to the right. Im guessing the skin detection system thinks its come out and is causing the video to stop playing, and because its slightly out I can hear thew outside world.
I'm sending them back and will get a replacement (from Amazon). ill live with it for now the new pair do the same.

trazan

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
Ive noticed tonight that video stops playing and it seems ANC cuts off on my left AirPod. I then realised it was actually a bit loose in my left ear, compared to the right. Im guessing the skin detection system thinks its come out and is causing the video to stop playing, and because its slightly out I can hear thew outside world.
I'm sending them back and will get a replacement (from Amazon). ill live with it for now the new pair do the same.

I suspected it could be the skin-sensing, but it's not that. At least not with mine. When they go to/from with skin-sensing it's a much softer stop/start. A typically intended one.

rightoffrost

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
Yes!!!! I’ve had the same issues with my new pair of pro 2! I have an iPhone 13 Pro, and I’ve restored the AirPods numerous times, and they seem to still do it. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting, and it still hasn’t resolved. It doesn’t give me much hope. Especially since I got the original pros when they came out, and has issues with them and had to have a bud replaced by apple. Just to have the same issue with the new bid they sent. I ended up returning those. And I might just do the same with the pro 2 pair. 😩

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

trazan

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
In my case it seems like the pods don't behave well will my Macbook Pro's (2015) bluetooth. Experiencing frequent dropouts, sitting right beside it. iPhone and iPad seems to work fine, for now.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Mine seem to be working fine since I unpaired and repaired however I notice there is now no connection chime when I put them in my ears. Anybody else noticing this? Weird.

danwo

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
iphone 13 Pro Max, IOS 16 newest update 16.02 and AirPods Pro2 at newest firmware 5A377. I'm having similar issues too. One bud may cut out, or sound will just stop while listening to music even though they show as connected. I also get occasional loud crackling at times while talking on the phone or the person on the other end suddenly can't hear me. Attempted return on Amazon but they require a factory reset first so I just did that. I do get the chyme since the factory reset but it takes longer than before. Will see how it goes. It's all very random.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Pro 11" 2nd Gen, both on 15.6, APP2 on 5A374. Disconnects happen on both iPhone during phone calls and iPad during Zoom.

trazan

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Pro 11" 2nd Gen, both on 15.6, APP2 on 5A374. Disconnects happen on both iPhone during phone calls and iPad during Zoom.
How come they've not been updated to the latest firmware?

danwo

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Mine seem to be working fine since I unpaired and repaired however I notice there is now no connection chime when I put them in my ears. Anybody else noticing this? Weird.
Yes. I wrote last night my experience and at the end (after reading your message) I mentioned that after the factory reset I noticed the chyme took several seconds but it did occur. This morning I put them on and no chyme. Same as you're reporting.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I don't rush to every update. I figure about a week after 16.1 is issued, if all works well, then I'll take the plunge. With APP2, I don't think that they will update with a iOS device on pre-16.

danwo

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
From my understanding from Apple, the updates are rolled out randomly in increments automatically, saying it will automatically prompt for update as soon as the airpods connect to your phone or Mac. I pre-ordered mine and I think it was the first day i received them that it prompted to update. I'm seeing a lot of people on the previous version. I don't know if they haven't been prompted yet, denied it, or maybe Apple has pulled it due to these issues or if you just have to wait until it gets to you? I don't believe they have the option to manually update until your device detects that the update is available.

rspeicher

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
So disappointed with the Pros 2 so far. They regularly will not connect to my 2018 Intel MBP, even after forcefully disconnecting them from my phone so they're not connected to anything. The only way to get them to reconnect seems to be a reset and re-pairing, making sure the MacBook is the first one to register them. And that will only work once. Once they've been connected to the phone (usually through no action of mine, just the iPhone thinking it knows best where I want audio), they won't reconnect to the MacBook.

And even if they do connect, they regularly get disconnected for no apparent reason. 5A377 firmware.

danwo

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
update AirPods, but mine updated within 30m
a prompt to update AirPods, but mine updated within
Ive never seen a prompt to update AirPods, but mine updated within 30mins of me getting them.
Agreed. I don't remember if I was actually prompted to update or if I just watched it update. The fact that someone said they don't update right away made me think that maybe they had been prompted and denied it That's why I thought maybe I was prompted but I do believe they just notified me it was updating and I had no say in it. Not 100% certain though.

Takeo Apple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2020
Mine keep disconnecting from my iPhone randomly throughout the day. Also sometimes it shows that they’re connected but sound doesn’t come through so I’ll have to reconnect them. Hope this is just a software issue.
Yap. Came here to post it. Glad I am not alone.

sportdan31

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Very unhappy with the random disconnects. Additionally, I was out in the yard listening to music and suddenly I was hearing audio from the iPad my wife was using in the family room, roughly 25 yards away. This upgrade so far has been an extreme disappointment.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
iPhone 13 Mini running iOS 16 has disconnects as does my Mac Studio running Ventura. Zoom on iPad has had microphone issues with the AirPods Pro Gen 2. AirPods 3 work fine.

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
I also have been experiencing a strange audio effect playing YouTube or Netflix where if I scrub or skip forward or back the audio changes to sounding a bit echoey or hollow or something and then scrubbing or skipping again fixes it.
Same here with Youtube. After a few seconds or minutes the audio sounds like a spatial effect and left/right channel seem to play mono with a little time delay so it sounds a like an echo. Youtube usually stops short after and when I restart it, it plays in time laps without sound. A few seconds more and either the app freezes (iPhone/iPad) or Youtube in Safari stops (MacBook). After restart/reload the video is played normal, usually for a longer time.

Reactions: Lotuskid

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
Same here with Youtube. After a few seconds or minutes the audio sounds like a spatial effect and left/right channel seem to play mono with a little time delay so it sounds a like an echo. Youtube usually stops short after and when I restart it, it plays in time laps without sound. A few seconds more and either the app freezes (iPhone/iPad) or Youtube in Safari stops (MacBook). After restart/reload the video is played normal, usually for a longer time.
Another user suggested turning special audio to fixed and that may have solved it for me but I’ll have to pay more attention if it pops up again.

Hopefully this is addressed soon among other little bugs with the AirPods. I still also get random disconnects for example

Edit: spacial* audio

Last edited:
Reactions: AME77

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
Yep, me too.
Another use suggested turning special audio to fixed and that may have solved it for me but I’ll have to pay more attention if it pops up again.
Special audio ...? What is special audio?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.