Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
The Airpods Pro 2 continues the tradition for me and makes connectivity slightly worse that APP1. Main difference when I get a phone call now is that I get the "bong" sound but the call never goes to the Airpods, no sound in the iPhone 14P either, usually this makes the caller hanging up the call, often then the Airpods connects. Really frustrating.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Im constantly having a problem if I take them out the case and go for a walk as I dont take the case with me if I dont need to. They decide that the right AirPods will not connect and it will play in only the left.

Drives me insane and it happens everyday. So inconvenient.

The only way to resolve is to repair which I have done 100 times. For a pair of earphones that were £280 its a bit frustrating. Never had this issue with my AirPods 2nd gen.

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
Got mine replaced and the new ones are working flawlessly for about an hour now. The handover (do you call it so ..?) of the Pods between devices also works better. The old ones had errors within 2-3 Minutes. I didn't write down the serial numbers but I guess they're really new. The firmware is still the same (374) so I just assume, there might be some hardware errors. At present, the problem seems to be solved to me.

I just recommend to send yours also back. The worst thing that can happen is that you get the same ones back.

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
Im constantly having a problem if I take them out the case and go for a walk as I dont take the case with me if I dont need to. They decide that the right AirPods will not connect and it will play in only the left.

Drives me insane and it happens everyday. So inconvenient.

The only way to resolve is to repair which I have done 100 times. For a pair of earphones that were £280 its a bit frustrating. Never had this issue with my AirPods 2nd gen.
As I wrote earlier: I assume there is an issue with the Bluetooth connection between both AirPods and/or your device. Just get them repaired/replaced, that solved my problem.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Had my first real issue today where I was using them connected to my Apple Watch and sporadically the volume would lower and go back up again every few minutes. I tried restarting the Apple Watch but had the same issue once I started the music again.

Only other issues I’ve had until now was 1 instance of the left bud which decided to stop playing music, but the right was still working fine. The other is some crackling with ANC while travelling on the underground. Seems to be in the same area though, so guessing interference or the pure loudness of the trains. Actually, had similar crackling yesterday too when walking past a car.

pizzabox

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
I've had connectivity problems that I'm hoping are just related to iOS versions. While Apple says 16 is "required," they also acknowledge that's just for certain features and that the product will work down to the iPhone 6S, which tops out at 15. These are Bluetooth peripherals, after all. I started off connecting them to my iPad Pro running 15 and my 6S+ running 13, and while I could connect to both, the connections were unreliable and sometimes hard to reestablish. Updated the iPad to 16—still, it doesn't like it if I've used the phone with the buds then come back to the iPad. There are also issues with sound and transparency when listening on the phone.

This really shouldn't be happening, IMO, though I'm hoping that there's just something about the lower OS on the phone that throws them into a fit, that would be resolved if the phone was also on 16. (Unclear if bumping my phone to 15 would help at all, given the experience with iPad on 15.) I'm going to keep experimenting with my wife's (up to date) phone.

I will admit it will be pretty silly if I end up replacing my entire pocket computer to the tune of hundreds of dollars over some earbuds, but I've held out for a long time as it is, and here we are. (How's iOS 16 running on the 8, anyone?)

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
A few days after getting the replaced airpods I can say that the connection issues are mostly solved. What still isn't solved is this weird dual mono/spatial/echo-mode which appears when the airpods have a weak connection for a few seconds due to a long distance or walls. They then also don't switch back to a normal operation when the connection gets better and I have to reconnect them.

I left a bug-report at apple without much hope ...

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Does the following work reliably?
For me this works 1/4 of all times when I get a call.
1/2 of times I cant get the Airpods to connect at all when answering on phone requiring me to hang up call, Airpods connect and I can call again.

1. Phone is on wifi
2. Airpods paired and its it case
3. Someone calls and you take out Airpods and put them in the ears
4. Wait for airpods to connect
5. Take call in Airpods.

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
1/2 of times I cant get the Airpods to connect at all when answering on phone requiring me to hang up call, Airpods connect and I can call again.

1. Phone is on wifi
5. Take call in Airpods.
Sorry, no problems with phonecalls here ...

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
My Airpods Pro 2 frequently disconnect from my Macbook Pro running Ventura. Hopefully, it's just a software issue that will be fixed, otherwise I will have to send them in (the saga continues, had to replace my original Airpods Pro several times and was hoping the new ones would work flawlessly).

pizzabox

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
I've had connectivity problems that I'm hoping are just related to iOS versions. While Apple says 16 is "required," they also acknowledge that's just for certain features and that the product will work down to the iPhone 6S, which tops out at 15. These are Bluetooth peripherals, after all. I started off connecting them to my iPad Pro running 15 and my 6S+ running 13, and while I could connect to both, the connections were unreliable and sometimes hard to reestablish. Updated the iPad to 16—still, it doesn't like it if I've used the phone with the buds then come back to the iPad. There are also issues with sound and transparency when listening on the phone.

This really shouldn't be happening, IMO, though I'm hoping that there's just something about the lower OS on the phone that throws them into a fit, that would be resolved if the phone was also on 16. (Unclear if bumping my phone to 15 would help at all, given the experience with iPad on 15.) I'm going to keep experimenting with my wife's (up to date) phone.

I will admit it will be pretty silly if I end up replacing my entire pocket computer to the tune of hundreds of dollars over some earbuds, but I've held out for a long time as it is, and here we are. (How's iOS 16 running on the 8, anyone?)

To follow up on my own anecdote: just updated my 6S+ to 15.7 and so far, the pods have had no trouble switching between it and the iPad running 16. I guess 13 on the phone was just too crazy an ask. Naturally the phone is faintly sluggish and battery-challenged following this update; we'll see whether it stays that way or finds its footing.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
My Airpods Pro 2 frequently disconnect from my Macbook Pro running Ventura. Hopefully, it's just a software issue that will be fixed, otherwise I will have to send them in (the saga continues, had to replace my original Airpods Pro several times and was hoping the new ones would work flawlessly).
So you mean connect issues is hardware related?

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I hope that it‘s software related this time. My Airpods Pro 1 had the usual hardware issues with degrading noise cancellation, rattlegate, charging issues, etc.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Started reading this tread. I don't have the connection issues with my iPhone, iPad or iMac but it happens with my Apple Watch Series 7. And it's annoying because it's usually when I walk away from my house or my car (where the APP2 case is) and sometimes the only "solution" is to reset the Apple Watch.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
My partner just started having trouble with the air pod pro 2s and apple watch ultra - the bluetooth says connected but no sound - the first gen app work fine. This is very annoying.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Just bought these..and notice low volume when listening to audio .. have to up the volume to around 70% for decent volume.. Wondering if anyone has had this issue ?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010

1. Phone is on wifi
5. Take call in Airpods.
Mine do not work consistently when making or taking phone calls. It can be very frustrating, when they don’t autoconnect when I get a phone call or when I make a call and then I have to try and manually switch to Airpods, which sometimes does not work at all.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix that? Have latest firmware installed too that came out this week. I use my Airpods majority of time for work/phone calls.

A1000

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
UK
Mine stopped playing Spotify randomly even though Spotify still playing and the Airpods being connected. After being put back in to the case and taken out they were fine. After disconnecting, turnign off the iphone and reconnecting they work fine now.

Assuming it was the firmware update that needed a reset of some kind.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Mine do not work consistently when making or taking phone calls. It can be very frustrating, when they don’t autoconnect when I get a phone call or when I make a call and then I have to try and manually switch to Airpods, which sometimes does not work at all.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix that? Have latest firmware installed too that came out this week. I use my Airpods majority of time for work/phone calls.
I have had this issue with all four generations of Airpods. It seems worse now with Airpods pro 2. I cant understand why no one reports it.

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
I still noticed problems with the noise cancellation, it was kind of "fading" between a transparent and a closed state. I use them closed most of the time without adaptive transparency. Today I tried to set the adaptive transparency on and then off again and the effect was gone, now the airpods stay in the closed mode. Has anyone had the same issue?

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
IM trying to narrow down if this is an AirPods issues or something wrong with my iPhone. I can be listening to my AirPods just fine and then I may stop for an hour or so, go back and try to listen again on them and I get the notification in the dynamic island that they are connected but they never connect and start playing anything. I can even click on the airplay button to choose AirPods but they aren't even in the list. I have to restart my iPhone to get them to play again. Im starting to think its an 14 Pro Max hardware issue because they work just fine on my iPad Pro and I tried my old set of AirPods and they also have the same issue.

curtis242

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
England
Yeah getting disconnection randomly loads when connected to my apple tv 4k (main use case) tried resetting and repairing but still same issue

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Hi all,

I got new AirPods Pro 2 on release day. Everything was glorious.

1 Month into use, I think only after updating to 16.1 the problems started. Every now and then, when I open my case to put my APP2 in, I get a message on my iPhone OR iPad:
——
Not Your AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro not connected to this iPhone/iPad.
——

So, I press Connect and they work. After a while I take them out, go to lunch, put them back in - same message. I'm getting worried, try my iPad - same message.
I reset the APP2 as stated on the support document, reconnect them. Everything seems fine. But as soon as I put them back in the case and take them out again, the message reappears. :eek::eek::eek:

I also found out that once I restarted the respective device, the problem is resolved for days or a week and ist just happens to come back.

Today I called Apple support and they said “I was the first to have that sort of problem“. Made me reset and pair over and over again and then only suggested to reset iPad.

What the heck? What is happening here?

Many thanks for your help!

Reactions: wdog119

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2022
Anyone specifically having call connectivity issues with their AirPods Pro 2?

A friend says his are disconnecting from his 14 Pro during calls over FaceTime and WhatsApp - the call stays connected, but the AirPods disconnect and the audio starts coming out of the phone speakers for a few seconds, before re-connecting to the AirPods.

Apparently his 1st gen AirPods Pro work fine and don't do this. He's updated to the latest firmware on the AirPods and the latest version of iOS, tried resetting/forgetting devices etc.

GWLBE

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
"Apparently his 1st gen AirPods Pro work fine"
Both my Air Pods and Air Pod Pro 1 have the issue. Started with new Iphone 14 pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.