Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AME77

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2019
Another use suggested turning special audio to fixed and that may have solved it for me but I’ll have to pay more attention if it pops up again.

Hopefully this is addressed soon among other little bugs with the AirPods. I still also get random disconnects for example
Just called the support. They asked me to send it back, I'll get a replacement or a repair.

After thinking about the problem it seems to me, that the AirPods loose the connection between each other and then act as two single mono speakers which causes this weird spatial sound. The few milliseconds delay between the two lead to this echo-effect. This might also cause connection errors, when two concurring but not communicating AirPods with the same device name are connected to one iPhone.

ItsiPhoneJay

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Sometimes when my Pro 2 first connects, I'll immediately get ANC, then a second or two later the ANC turns off, the connection is lost, a couple seconds later I hear the connection bong, the ANC turns back on, and all is good. Anyone else seeing this?
I have this exact issue too. Wondering if it will be fixed in a firmware update or if I should be getting them replaced?

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Just called the support. They asked me to send it back, I'll get a replacement or a repair.

After thinking about the problem it seems to me, that the AirPods loose the connection between each other and then act as two single mono speakers which causes this weird spatial sound. The few milliseconds delay between the two lead to this echo-effect. This might also cause connection errors, when two concurring but not communicating AirPods with the same device name are connected to one iPhone.
This make a lot of sense, I think all issues people are experiencing are due to this. You can test this by toggling between anc and transparency modes, the chime is not harmonic and the activation is always delayed in one side. Since they start already slightly unsynced, even a small interference causes severe bugs. I'm sure it will get fixed soon enough but its annoying they shipped a product with bugs on basic functionality.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Those who are using the APP2 primarily with a non-iPhone device and preferably a non-Apple device might try unpairing from the iPhone and seeing how it goes. I use mine mostly with a PC, and the AirPods Max have been perfect, along with other manufacturers' wares. Unlike the APM, the APP2 still stays connected to the iPhone to report battery life, and I'm hoping the glitches I've experienced are due to this. The PC glitches include an occasional connect/disconnect/reconnect cycle lasting a few seconds when first connecting for a session, a one-time (so far) echo effect in YouTube TV, and intermittent cutting out of the signal within 15 feet and LOS, cured by plug-cycling my Asus USB Bluetooth adapter. I'm one day into removing the APP2 from my iPhone, and so far, so good, but too soon to tell. I've had two samples of the APP2 bought from two different vendors which behave identically, so I think they're all like this. OTOH, I've listened about six hours total on my iPhone, and it's been perfect.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Update. By turning BT off on MBP and iPhone so that the only device that APP2 connects to is iPad, they work better and not disconnecting

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Watching YouTube with head tracking enabled. I get complete audio drop and video stops playing. Turned it off and set it to fixed, it works okay. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Watching YouTube with head tracking enabled. I get complete audio drop and video stops playing. Turned it off and set it to fixed, it works okay. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
yep. Head tracking is completely broken with Youtube, the video constantly pauses and sometimes loses audio altogether, spatial fixed works fine.

Reactions: FattiesGoneWild

sportdan31

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Just exchanged mine this evening and so far, no issues. I’m not on the latest update as of this post. A little worried I’m going to incur issues once it updates.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
yep. Head tracking is completely broken with Youtube, the video constantly pauses and sometimes loses audio altogether, spatial fixed works fine.
Thanks for confirming! I can’t imagine how many people are returning them for another pair, only to have the same thing happen.

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
May 9, 2020
Mine seemed to settle down since my last post, not had any issues with them, but last night i noticed the case lid was wobbly. I checked my 3 year old gen 1’s case and thats rock solid.

The new ones went back to Amazon today. I’ll get another pair next time Amazon are doing them on 5 months 0% payment options.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Overall very happy with the improved sound and the vol control function! But the left ear has not connected 3 or 4 times. The right will be working ok. I have to reset BT to fix it. I play only stored music on my phone and watch, not streaming.

Also the only time I've used them on a phone call (XR) the Airpods 2 disconnected the call. Have to do more testing on phone calls... Just tested on a 2nd call. was told kinda hard to hear with cut outs...

Last edited:

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Overall very happy with the improved sound and the vol control function! But the left ear has not connected 3 or 4 times. The right will be working ok. I Lhave to reset BT to fix it. I play only stored music on my phone and watch, not streaming.
Left ear failed to connect for the first time today, but I was able to fix it my putting it back in the case and reinserting. Problems keep coming.

The APP2 Bluetooth is simply bad. I use an Asus BT500 transmitter for my PC, and it's been fine with great range with AirPods, AirPods Max, various Sony headphones, and 1More, EarFun, and other earbuds. Basically anything BT 5.0 has been great. The APP2 OTOH have reduced range and cut out when the microwave is running. I just got a higher powered transmitter with antenna, and while it solves the microwave problem, walking by it causes the APP2 to break up. (It's mounted above the door to my computer room.) Lingering in the break-up zone causes the APP2 to get out of sync WRT each other, so there's like an echo until they're put back in the case. Other headphones including APM don't do this. So my conclusion is that the APP2 has a narrow Goldilocks range of acceptable BT transmission power and is thus very finicky to use if your use case isn't your iPhone in your pocket.

cheedee234

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2022
I’ve barely left the house with them so far. Out in the garden doing non-machinery work mostly, with minimal electromagnetic interference.

I’ve only used them with my iPhone 11 so far, but am usually in range of my iMac, MacBook Air, Apple TVs and Apple Watch with them so have wondered if maybe they’ve tried to hop onto one of those other devices while the iPhone playback is paused.

But as I say, this hasn’t occurred with my previous AirPods, or my Beats Solo Pro.
I'm having the same issue with mine on my iPhone 11 too. I guess it has to do with iOS 16.0.2 on iPhone 11. Hopefully, 16.1 release would fix this bug

Reactions: akb

cheedee234

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2022
Yep, get this, annoyingly, ios16.0.2 on iphone 11 and latest firmware. What is particularly annoying is that it isn't a persistent issue, but it seems to happen for a bit then not for hours or days
same for me on iOS 16.0.2 iphone 11 and latest firmware. It seems like most people with AirPods Pro 2 with latest firmware and iPhone 11 are experiencing this

cheedee234

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2022
Issues here as well. Sometimes audio will drop out for a few seconds and my left ear feels like it's in transparency mode (I'm in ANC mode) and then re-connects.

Also won't move from my Mac mini to iPhone automatically (or vice versa).
are you using an iPhone 11 model with iOS 16.0.2?

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Seems like after the firmware update a few weeks ago connectivity has been exponentially worse. I stick in my Airpods Pro 2 and it takes up to 15 seconds sometimes to connect and in addition sometimes after finally reconnecting the volume is extremely low..:/

AyoAstro

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
I am having the same issue but with my laptop. The left would disconnect and be silent, I would then have to put it in the case for a few seconds then take it out and it would connect back. I also had an issue where I'd be listening to music then all of a sudden I'd get a crackling sound and then silence, again I would have to put it into the case and reconnect or turn my Bluetooth off then back on.

I returned the pair and got another thinking it was just defective, this new pair has done only the crackling part/no sound yet shows connected. I don't think it's my laptops Bluetooth since I tested with my old AirPod Pro's and they connected just fine. I only upgraded because my original 2019 AirPod's ear buds were beginning to die but this is super annoying to deal with.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
So, by turning 2019 16" MBP on OS 12.5 to the bluetooth setting of "connect when last connected" for the APP2, my APP2 on 5A374 are working fine when primarily connected to one device. When I use iPhone, I turned iPad BT off and vice-versa.

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
So I cam here ready to create a new thread and I noticed this one was already here. I am also experiencing connectivity issues with my brand new APP2 that I just purchased on Wednesday. I didn't get much of a chance to test them until today when I wore them on a bike ride with my iPhone 13 Pro Max strapped to my arm about 9" away from the headphones.

Twice on my bike ride the music just completely stopped, I tried pausing and unpausing from the pods and nothing. I pulled out my phone and they had been disconnected. The first time I tapped on them in the bluetooth settings and they re-connected only to cut out again about 2 minutes later where they were once again disconnected from my phone in the bluetooth settings. Pretty disappointing since the old Samsung Galaxy Buds+ that I had been using up to this point were rock solid and never lost connection to my iPhone. I'm running the latest software versions on both my phone and the APP2. iPhone is 16.0.3 and APP2 are 5A377.

Any ideas whether or not this might be a firmware issue? I ordered them from Amazon so I have until January to return/replace them, which gives me a little bit of time to decide what to do.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Iphone, Ipad pro, and macbook are all on the latest beta's. I ONLY have the issue with my Macbook. It sees I have my airpods in, but doesn't transfer the sound from the MacBook to the airpods. I have to disconnect and reconnect and then after a minute or two, it disconnects.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
This post is to celebrate my APP2 connecting right away and not having any immediate range or cutting out problems, IOW, working like every other set of headphones I have. Rare for the APP2.

ETA: And this is to confirm it was back to the BS the next day, doing the "connect immediately with ANC but no audio, lose the connection and ANC, and reconnect with ANC and audio, all in 10-20 seconds". Celebrate while you can is my motto!

ETA2: Please report here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/airpods/

ETA3: The third day, the first connection was massive stuttering. Returned to the case, connected right away, but no sound. Returned to the case again, and the third time connecting was the charm. These things are somehow getting worse.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.