Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
That's bad news! I have one on order because there's not much to choose from at the moment. Hows the kickstand on the back? Does it offer multiple angles?
Lots of angles, not as many as the black rock but enough, but the big problem is the bounciness of the stand. With the black rock, the hinge is tight, you put it in a position and it's rock solid. With the Otterbox, although it stays there, it's not got the same rigidity when it's in a position. Obviously it may be different with the actual iPad in, but I pushed in the M2 iPad and the added weight actually made it worse. Admittedly it won't matter once you put it in a position and watch something but if you want to type on it, it bounces a little. I don't think it would be strong enough to use the stand as a "hook" on a plane for example, as per my previous picture, as it would flop around a bit.

I'll reserve final judgement till the iPad arrives tomorrow but I'm not hopeful

Reactions: chibamac

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Lots of angles, not as many as the black rock but enough, but the big problem is the bounciness of the stand. With the black rock, the hinge is tight, you put it in a position and it's rock solid. With the Otterbox, although it stays there, it's not got the same rigidity when it's in a position. Obviously it may be different with the actual iPad in, but I pushed in the M2 iPad and the added weight actually made it worse. Admittedly it won't matter once you put it in a position and watch something but if you want to type on it, it bounces a little. I don't think it would be strong enough to use the stand as a "hook" on a plane for example, as per my previous picture, as it would flop around a bit.

I'll reserve final judgement till the iPad arrives tomorrow but I'm not hopeful

That sucks. I'm looking at this ESR case now but it looks sort of cheep and the stand is a whole separate part that attaches with magnets. Seems like there's no good options.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
I'm not sure if there is a comparison of the additional bulk the Otterbox adds vs the Logi Combo but I'd like to see that, as the logi back case would be built better I'd say.

That said, I just want black rock to release a new magnetic kickstand that doesn't cover the sides and just adds to the back. But I've contacted them with no reply.

Reactions: dabotsonline

_lit_

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2024
That is the Statement. It’s got the pencil drawer. That thing sticking up in middle photo is the stand on the back of the back shell.

That’s the only Otterbox Apple sells for the 2024s.
The currently available Statement is a solid flap and has no stand. Apparently you have the Statement Studio which is not yet available from OtterBox directly.

Last edited:

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
The currently available Statement is a solid flap and has no stand. Apparently you have the Statement Studio which is not yet available from OtterBox. The Studio has a stand but the standard Statement does not have a stand. You can see my Statement does not have a stand but the link I have posted for the Statement Studio for M4 clearly shows that the Studio has a stand. You must have some connection to OtterBox for maybe you are some influencer that gets advanced product for review.
Haha. Literally loads of people have the studio, it’s for sale on apple directly which is where I bought it along with probably many others.

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I will be getting Zugu case for iPad but it not released yet and it is highly rated and on here too. This will be my first Zugu case. I have emailed them last night and they replied this morning saying they are waiting to get iPads first and see if compatible with current case and if not then they will make new case and release in USA June/July then Europe shortly after.

So at moment I be borrowing tablet sleeve from Dad and find cheap temp case somewhere when more available (choices limited at moment) and get cheap case until Zugu case released.
From one JJ to another, let me tell you that ZUGU cases are the best. I literally won't buy anything else. My iPad 12.9 M4 is going to stay in the box until they announce one. I absolutely love them.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
From one JJ to another, let me tell you that ZUGU cases are the best. I literally won't buy anything else. My iPad 12.9 M4 is going to stay in the box until they announce one. I absolutely love them.
I can't wait for new one to be released. At moment I be borrowing my Dad sleeve and then will need get cheap temp case to use with sleeve until I get new Zugu case.

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Well my Otterbox Statement case arrived today. It's the most flimsy piece of s**t ever, for the price, £100, it's absolutely ridiculous. Compared to the £40 Black Rock kickstand, it's night and day difference. It's a shame because for a full coverage case with a kickstand, it's actually relatively thin but I can't justify paying £100 for this quality. I will have to try the Logitech Combo and just put the keyboard in a drawer, and see if that's any better
My Otterbox Statement arrived last week and I completely agree. VERY flimsy and the hinge doesn't feel as though it would last long. This $90 case is going to be returned for sure. I opted for the ESR Rebound 360 for now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CSSWMHRT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details I am looking for a good alternative to the old Zagg Slim Book go built in stand. Loved that case, built solid.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Gonna need some case pictures and quick reviews from those who can put one on a new iPad today…

I’m still high & dry without an acceptable to me option for a short term case. Considering the horrid all clear plastic back shell, or possibly an ESR just to use the inner shell from one of those until more options come available.

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I fitted the ESR Shift today. They did a good job on the inner case. It is a snug fit, with good hole alignment, and responsive buttons. The outer folio stand, which enables all the various angles and positions does add a lot of bulk. The magnets which hold the back of the case to the folio are really strong and secure. It is nice to be able to easily detach the folio but still have the protection of the inner case. However, the magnets are quite weak for the front cover, they cannot hold it closed and the front slides about very easily. The wake/sleep function does work OK though. There is no microfibre material on the inside of the front cover.

The raised screen position is really nice for desk use, I can see me using that a lot. Portrait mode is also useful, but the magnets only work with the USB-C port orientated to the bottom, so it is not possible to charge or sync by cable whilst in this orientation.

The stretchy fabric stylus pouch on the rear is a little weird and of no use to me. I wish this was removable.

Last edited:

steelestar

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I continue to look for a IPP 13 case that is compatible with the new magic keyboard and am having no success. As others have mentioned, Pitaka MagEZ cases are the best. For those interested, I did reach out to Pitaka and received a quick response from the company confirming that a MagEZ case will be manufactured and released for the new IPPs, but nothing was imminent ("possibly June" was the exactly how it was worded). I will definitely buy, but will continue to look for for another keyboard-compatible case to tide me over in the meantime.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I fitted the ESR Shift today. They did a good job on the inner case. It is a snug fit, with good hole alignment, and responsive buttons…
Good to know, considering buying one just for the inner case.

However, the magnets are quite weak for the front cover, they cannot hold it closed and the front slides about very easily.
Which is made worse by having the hinge at bottom in horizontal mode. Instead of hanging from the hinge, it’s sliding/falling down.

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Amazon still hasn’t published case reviews from the 15th and later.
C68C376F-6DF0-478F-9362-DCC89D5C99E1.gif

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Which is made worse by having the hinge at bottom in horizontal mode. Instead of hanging from the hinge, it’s sliding/falling down.
I don't quite understand that. The hinge is at the bottom when open and in horizontal stand mode but the folio magnets hold everything secure. When it is closed the hinge location depends on the orientation you hold it in.

But the feel of it sliding around when closed is annoying.

Last edited:

fzhao

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2024
Well my Otterbox Statement case arrived today. It's the most flimsy piece of s**t ever, for the price, £100, it's absolutely ridiculous. Compared to the £40 Black Rock kickstand, it's night and day difference. It's a shame because for a full coverage case with a kickstand, it's actually relatively thin but I can't justify paying £100 for this quality. I will have to try the Logitech Combo and just put the keyboard in a drawer, and see if that's any better
Does the BlackRock fit on the new iPad Pro?

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
anyone holding back the purchase of the new ipad given that the case is really limited now.

yoyo2012

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Is there alternative minimalist cases like the folio from Apple? The ESR has this flap on the side that I’m not a big fan of. It actually doesn’t seem necessary.

The moko hasn’t released a new case yet but the old one didn’t have the flap. It was a little bulkier than the folio though with the edges being protected. Might end up being the best option for me unless I can find another alternative to the folio without the flap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.