Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
A high school buddy of mine got his from Inkley's today and the envy inside me is overwhelming! Anyone on here get theirs yet? I'm so excited to see some pictures and videos outside of Vincent Laforet's. He's amazing but I'd like to see some more mortal people take some pics. :)

I'm on pre-order of sorts with a local shop, they'll email me when they have it in and it's my turn and I have 24 hours to go buy it.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I can't believe I got a 5D Mk1 in April for $2,200, and now I could be getting the MK2 for only $500 more. :(

Don't get me wrong, the Mk1 is magnificent, it's just like with all electronics, as soon as you can't wait any longer and take the plunge, they release the new one. :eek: (I had been waiting six months prior to purchasing the Mk1)

Congrats on the Mk2, though! I'm jealous.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I'm going to try to find one locally tomorrow. I can't find one online from a dealer I trust.

I can't *wait* to start shooting 1080p with my fast L primes.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
A colleague of mine ordered from Ritz in late September and just received notice that his camera is shipping. I ordered 5 or so days later and haven't heard anything yet.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
My mate got one on Monday. He's out on a job now using it for the first time in anger. From what I saw of his test shots, it is looking damn good. Definite high ISO improvement of about 1.5/2 stops over the old 5D - I don't think it will quite match the efforts of a D3/D700 at the extreme ISO's though. Will need to wait for the online/magazine reviewers to give a definite answer on this over the next few weeks - I don't have a D700 yet for us to be able to compare. Build quality (general feel in the hand) has been improved too.

He just needs Aperture to be updated to handle the RAW files, come on Apple!

PS I looked on the DPR forum for an answer on the 5D2/D700 high ISO comparison issue, those guys don't half prattle on. I do hope we don't come across in the same way on the Macrumors forums!

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I doubt it will match the noise performance of the D3/D700... The photosites are just too small. It will probably come close however, I would expect to see noise somewhat in line with what you see out of a 1Ds mkIII...

People gotsta remember that the D5mkII is 21MP vs the D3's 12MP...

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I doubt it will match the noise performance of the D3/D700... The photosites are just too small. It will probably come close however, I would expect to see noise somewhat in line with what you see out of a 1Ds mkIII...
Ditto. Hell, even the 50D has worse high ISO noise than its predecessor, the 40D. That's the price you pay if you increase sensor resolution substantially (i. e. decreasing pixel size).

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
No useful information - just ramblings :)

I don't have one on order yet, but the 5DMk2 was the camera that I was waiting for its official announcment before deciding on what to do with my underwater camera system.

Naturally, there's always second thoughts. For example, a Canon PowerShot G10 would result in a significantly smaller UW system ... and be cheaper ... but I'll have to see if it can work to do superior Wide Angle work, since it only opens up to 28mm equivalent (with my Nikonos, I've been shooting 15mm).

Given my most recent vacation trip, one of the things that I found to be a noticable issue at times with my 20D was the autofocus (telephoto & flying birds). My recollection is that the 5DMk2 didn't really receive any changes to its AF sensors, so I don't know how it might compare...

...but as such, AF performance (speed) is going to be one of the things I'll be looking for in reviews, although the comparison baseline should probably be a 40D or 50D, as I could sell one of my 20D bodies to upgrade for the crop-body based telephoto stuff. Nevertheless, the 5DMk2 is for me still is primarily as an interest point for shooting wide wide angle.

-hh

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Ack! I didn't even think about Aperture and RAW compatability. I just assumed it would be in the works. That's bad, I shoot pretty much 100% RAW.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
i have one on preorder to replace my 30d. just waiting for it to arrive.

anyone know of any places in LA that have the body-only in stock?

main thing that concerns me is that i'm using CS3 and apparently that doesn't handle the mkII's raw files? is there an easy/automated way to convert cr2 files to dng to use through adobe camera raw?

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
i have one on preorder to replace my 30d. just waiting for it to arrive.

anyone know of any places in LA that have the body-only in stock?

main thing that concerns me is that i'm using CS3 and apparently that doesn't handle the mkII's raw files? is there an easy/automated way to convert cr2 files to dng to use through adobe camera raw?

Here you go:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4213

It converts the CR2 files into DNG files, with (according to Adobe) no loss in info or quality. The DNG files cn then be opened using ACR CS3 or Aperture/Lightroom. I've not used it myself so can't offer any further help on it I'm afraid.

I do find it annoying that Adobe are not updating the Raw conversion capabilities for a product (CS3) that has been off the shelf for just a few months. It's like Ford saying 'sorry about the tyre blowing, we can replace it with this square wheel or you can buy a new car from us with four new round tyres which will allow you to achieve maximum efficiency.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT

From everything I've heard from the lucky few that were able to play with it pre-release, it's noise is very impressive. The MP count will be a factor but Canon did say it has the highest image quality of any DSLR they've built, even over the current 1Ds mkIII (which will undoubtedly get the updated components pretty soon).

I'm still waiting to see 'in the wild' pictures from people who have it. Maybe I should search flickr....

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
The ability to have low noise at high ISO sensitivities aren't in any way the deciding factor in how good the images look.

The Fuji S5 is a great example, great dynamic range, great color, great contrast, just all around awesome looking images. Terrible high ISO performance.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Some shops here the UK should have available stock in the next few weeks (well Jacobs, Birmingham)

There is an ebay seller I deal with regularly who is selling them for £1899 with 2 year warranty. I couldn't believe it and if I had the cash I'd have bought one off him.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/e_rakuten_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Yet Nikon just released the D3X with 24 megapixels and saying there isn't much loss in quality, I know what your talking about in relation to pixel density. It seems Canon have overcome it. In any case Anandtech report no loss in quality because they did a comparision in ISO performance with the D3 and SONY A900.

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3470

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
There is an ebay seller I deal with regularly who is selling them for £1899 with 2 year warranty. I couldn't believe it and if I had the cash I'd have bought one off him.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/e_rakuten_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Mmmm, from his auction....

Ship From UK

TAX&DUTY FREE Within EU

Japan version

Made in Japan

comes with 2 year Canon dealer warranty

Canon Europe honor this warranty

Japanese grey import. Canon Europe only honour warranties on bodies bought in the EU. L series lenses are covered by a worldwide warranty. No camera bodies have this warranty (unless it's changed on the 5D Mk2)

Buyer beware!

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I have an order for mine but since I am in Canada and Canada inventory is managed by Canon USA, we wont see many 5D until 2009. Rumors are that Canon USA is keeping 95% of the bodies for domestic sales.

FYI there arent 20x more ppl in the states than in Canada... This really sucks because I had a wedding + a small contract that could have used the ridiculous ISO power of the body...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Mmmm, from his auction....

Japanese grey import. Canon Europe only honour warranties on bodies bought in the EU. L series lenses are covered by a worldwide warranty. No camera bodies have this warranty (unless it's changed on the 5D Mk2)

Buyer beware!

Of course the buyer beware but I've bought from him before with no issues. He does state Canon honours the warranty. Which make sense, why would I as a photographer, buy a camera, end up on the other side of the world on a shoot and not have Canon fix the camera for me if it fails while outside the area it was purchased?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Just because he said Canon honour the warranty doesn't mean they do. I know some ebay importers (like Digital-Rev) have local UK agents who will deal with the warranty return.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
forgot about this thread. my preorder came in saturday. unfortunately, have had papers to write for finals this week and no time to shoot. here are some quick and dirty snaps. jpegs straight out of camera (have CS3, need to download DNG converter as the 5dmkii RAW files aren't supported).

ISO 5000 (ceiling is textured)
IMG_0007-vi.jpg

ISO 6400
IMG_0022-vi.jpg

ISO 100
my 17-40 is now a lot more fun!
IMG_0028-vi.jpg

and the camera itself taken by my 30d
IMG_8647-vi.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.