Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, you guys got a point about it being a pro camera and pros will own external flash but I guess its just a matter of convenience?

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
For those of you that have it, I have a question:

When you're taking video, is it possible to use a zoom lens? Does the camera maintain focus while zooming, or do you just have to use a high aperture to get a broad depth of field? I'm guessing it's the latter - so somehow video is shot in Av mode, with a fixed high aperture. But I'd like someone who actually has the camera to tell me.

Thanks!

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand

When you're taking video, is it possible to use a zoom lens? Does the camera maintain focus while zooming, or do you just have to use a high aperture to get a broad depth of field? I'm guessing it's the latter - so somehow video is shot in Av mode, with a fixed high aperture. But I'd like someone who actually has the camera to tell me.

Thanks!

No. The camera does not autofocus automatically for you while in movie mode. In some modes you can trigger an autofocus, but the camera may hunt or change its exposure settings.

Manual focus works fine of course.

So, its more "traditional movie camera" than "camcorder". As I am playing with it, I think I might prefer it that way.

ebutka

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit

Thanks!

Yes you can zoom, no he does not retain the focus. It's cool if its on a tripod, then you can use both hands.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Cancelled my order. Plan on using the cash for other things, but I will eventualy get it I'm sure.

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
mine just arrived this morning

as far as i can tell, the images will be amazing, but, sadly without apple's support for aperture and OSX for the 5DMKII, im still waiting to look at raw files.

On another note, i did shoot a small 22 second 1080p clip for the heck of it, and it turned out to be 150 MB! Also, using live AF, with the built in mike you can hear every zoom ring turn, every af motor sound, etc..

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
its def. a feature. Fully documented in the manual.

As a professional camera, I don't see the use or need for a small, on the camera flash. I am glad they left if off.

I do wish the 5DII had a built-in ST-E2-equivalent remote trigger. I've always been jealous of the pop-up flash remote trigger feature on the Nikons. Not that the ST-E2 is that bulky, but it's one more thing to carry that should be a built-in feature.

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
it would be a pain in the butt to mess with my D.A.M. system now..so im just waiting and using my mark IIn's...but alas, ironically, an update came out this morning.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
as far as i can tell, the images will be amazing, but, sadly without apple's support for aperture and OSX for the 5DMKII, im still waiting to look at raw files.

Camera RAW Updater 12/18/08

I was at a Best Buy tonight in Salem Oregon and they had one on display, $2699. The associate there said they had one in stock. If only I had the freakin' cash! No sales tax here either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.