Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I haven't experienced it in a while (listening to Audiobooks) but every once in a while the APP2's will jump out of ANC mode and sound like I'm listening in an empty auditorium. Severe echo. The only way to stop it is to switch to a different app or kill the Audiobook app and open it back up.

SteamedHams

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
Finland
I purchased AirPods Pro 2 today, and almost immediately noticed this issue. Not sure if I should return them or wait and see if it's a software issue that gets fixed soon.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
I purchased AirPods Pro 2 today, and almost immediately noticed this issue. Not sure if I should return them or wait and see if it's a software issue that gets fixed soon.
I'm sure it will get fixed eventually but it's taking longer than I expected. They released a developer beta firmware a few weeks ago, so it must be close. I bought these at the release and it saddens me I still can't enjoy them properly because this issue bothers me a lot, even though it sounds amazing overall.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Did the update fix the panning around? My airpods are still the same after the update :(

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Give it time. Sometime it takes awhile. Many on the fw update thread say it’s not fixed.
I listened to music for hours and it worked perfectly just like the APP1 was, on the previous fw it was very annoying and frequent, so I know it’s fixed. On Reddit and Apple support forums many says it fixed as well.

Try repairing and redoing the personalized spatial audio setup.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
I listened to music for hours and it worked perfectly just like the APP1 was, on the previous fw it was very annoying and frequent, so I know it’s fixed. On Reddit and Apple support forums many says it fixed as well.

Try repairing and redoing the personalized spatial audio setup.

For what it's worth, I never set up peronsalised spatial audio.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It’s not fixed at all, still getting the same audio drifting issue and the left AirPods nc some times turns off then on, this firmware fixed nothing for me

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Been listening for a few hours and juts finished the gym and no drifting. Not going to hold my breath but let's hope its fixed. Not sure why it is for some and not for others lol.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
It's definitely not fixed. Last night, watching YouTube on my MacBook Pro it was dreadful. I was wondering for a bit there if it might have been fixed as I hadn't noticed it in a while, but it's certainly still an issue.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
It's definitely not fixed. Last night, watching YouTube on my MacBook Pro it was dreadful. I was wondering for a bit there if it might have been fixed as I hadn't noticed it in a while, but it's certainly still an issue.
Interesting. Hasn’t happened for me since the firmware update happened. It was happening to me about 98% of the time before.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Fixed for me iPhone 14 pro 16.1.1. I’d love to know why it fixed some but not others. For those where it’s not fixed are you on 16.1.1? I never use spacial audio and it was terrible before. Now it’s gone. Are those with the issue still using spacial audio or not? Not that it mattered before.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Reactions: imagineadam

RedcapK7

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
Fixed for me ! Didn't know there was a firmware update this week, just realized I didn't have any issues for a few days, so I came here to see if others still had a problem with theirs.
Such a joy to use without that stereo drifting !!!

w00dy81

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
Yep same issue for me still even after the update.

Spatial audio is always off for podcasts and YouTube and transparency mode on

I can hear the audio switching between left and right at different times very aggressively

My AirPods Pro 1st gen didn’t have this issue

I even have adaptive transparency turned off

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Yep same issue for me still even after the update.

Spatial audio is always off for podcasts and YouTube and transparency mode on

I can hear the audio switching between left and right at different times very aggressively

My AirPods Pro 1st gen didn’t have this issue

I even have adaptive transparency turned off
Yeah they broke AirPods Pro 1 to fix AirPods Pro 2, but they didn’t actually fix it for everyone lol…classic Apple..

Reactions: w00dy81

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
To those experiencing this issue still

On a Facetime audio call, (audio cellular) swipe down from the top to get into control centre, click spatial audio and turn OFF.

The firmware update may have turned it on so turning it off should fix this

Right-hand button. Toggle it OFF
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 7.27.18 pm.png

Last edited:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
After several days of using them, I can confirm that the firmware update completely fixed the drifting issue for me.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Yep, Airpods Pro second generation, and on the latest firmware. Happens on Mac, iPad and iPhone.
If you swiped down and in control centre spatial audio is OFF then I think you need to go back to the apple store for a return :(

I have added a pic to my post above to show where the button is located

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.