Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I use my 12.9 at church. I use it for research, sermon prep and preaching. I prefer the 12.9 for studying with OliveTree. I've been using a 12.9 since Nov of 2015 and the first gen 12.9. I guess I'm used to the size. I wouldn't want to go smaller for the way I use my iPad.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I used Keynote on my 12.9 iPP to teach SS lessons, connected via HDMI to a flat panel TV. Worked great. Sometimes I controlled the iPad with my iPhone or iPad Mini. It was too big for other church uses, though, except maybe hymns.

Reactions: cdcastillo

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I did back in 2013 with my iPad 1st gen, but since 2014 I haven’t taken my iPads out of my house. I have 2 friends that use a 10.5” Pro with no screen protector, and another who uses his brand new iPad Pro-3 12.9” without a screen protector too.
I’ve been using my iPad for years and years at church. My iPad and the Olivetree bible app Has been a perfect match for me. Now I’ve upgraded to the 12.9 iPad, more is better right? Well it’s been four days and now I’m thinking maybe this 12.9 is just too big an I’m jumping the shark. I may need to revert back to my old iPad for church. Now don’t get me wrong I love this 12.9 completely! But it just may not work for my situation.
Can anyone give their experience of using a 12.9 at church? Too bright, clumsy, privacy, drop prone?
Me personally, I’d have taken any of my iPads from 2014 and on if I could control my OCD a bit better.
But again seeing my friend use his, It is awesome, he said he loves it.

rmsanger

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Mom said if you can’t say anything nice about someone, don’t say anything at all, so I have nothing to say about Osteen. :p

I actually like him very much and I’m an atheist... plus it beats the alternative of having to go to a church and interact with the people. I can get the message from home in my PJs drinking a coffee and surfing on my iPad.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
For portability why would you use a 12.9 or even 10.5" screen? On the go why would you mate? :)

I guess because everyone has different preferences and not everyone has a hard time lifting a 12.9” device.
Besides, they might already own a big iPad for other reasons and don’t want to invest in yet another device just for church.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I were you I'd invest in the Mini 5 instead.
You're not him, we all have different needs and wants. I used a mini in the past, and the iPad pro is a fantastic tablet. I have the 10.5, I've used the 12.9. I think as others stated portability is a personal decision. I use a 15" laptop and find that quite portable, others want a 13" or even smaller. Everyone is different, one size does not fit all.

Reactions: RevTEG and ericwn

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
You're not him, we all have different needs and wants. I used a mini in the past, and the iPad pro is a fantastic tablet. I have the 10.5, I've used the 12.9. I think as others stated portability is a personal decision. I use a 15" laptop and find that quite portable, others want a 13" or even smaller. Everyone is different, one size does not fit all.

It's obvious we all have different needs and wants. Suggesting "if I were you" is just a euphemism for a suggestion. It's a valid suggestion as a possible option that might have also worked.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It's obvious we all have different needs and wants. Suggesting "if I were you" is just a euphemism for a suggestion. It's a valid suggestion as a possible option that might have also worked.
Without giving a reason WHY a person is making a particular suggestion, that suggestion is meaningless.

Somewhat on point to the topic of this thread...
I find it interesting that people who have no problem taking a full letter-size notepad to a meeting (often in a leather/vinyl portfolio) balk at the "bulkiness" of something like the 12.9 iPad Pro (which is nearly the exact size of the same notepad).

Reactions: ericwn

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
For portability why would you use a 12.9 or even 10.5" screen? On the go why would you mate? :)

Running a bible app and a notes app side by side for study/highlighting/following scriptures while taking notes during teaching/sermons is pretty small on an iPad mini.
[doublepost=1558636694][/doublepost]The 12.9 iPad, in landscape, is not really any bigger than an open slimline bible. In most cases it’s smaller. Add in the ability to run a bible app side by side a not app and it works great. Of course every persons needs/wants is different.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Running a bible app and a notes app side by side for study/highlighting/following scriptures while taking notes during teaching/sermons is pretty small on an iPad mini.
[doublepost=1558636694][/doublepost]The 12.9 iPad, in landscape, is not really any bigger than an open slimline bible. In most cases it’s smaller. Add in the ability to run a bible app side by side a not app and it works great. Of course every persons needs/wants is different.
And THAT before even considering those "big boomer" study Bibles.
lol.gif
They're the size and weight of a patio block. By comparison, the 12.9 Pro is downright puny.

Reactions: jdechko and RevTEG

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Without giving a reason WHY a person is making a particular suggestion, that suggestion is meaningless.

I find it interesting that people who have no problem taking a full letter-size notepad to a meeting (often in a leather/vinyl portfolio) balk at the "bulkiness" of something like the 12.9 iPad Pro (which is nearly the exact size of the same notepad).

I think the "why" was implied. The Mini is obviously much more portable. And suggestions can still be meaningful as an opinion, justification or not.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
And THAT before even considering those "big boomer" study Bibles. View attachment 838669 They're the size and weight of a patio block. By comparison, the 12.9 Pro is downright puny.

This is true! And to think now I have those study bibles loading on my iPad. I actually have slowly replaced much of my reference books with digital. I do still love real books though. Just go hard to travel with them.

Reactions: sracer

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas

This is very strange, the 12 lays on top of a normal portfolio and they are the same size! In fact the iPad being thinner. But for some reason use real usage the 12 just feels much bigger than a sheet of paper. It’s very strange to me so it took it back and got the 11. I’m very pleased now.

Reactions: jbachandouris

wmadan

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
That’s a good point. I turn the brightness down so as not distract others. And yeah I can imagine the pencil could be an issue unless there were enough ambient noise I suppose.
As I mention in my earlier post in this thread, you may want to try going into the accessibility settings and inverting the colors of your iPad. This puts everything on a black screen and substantially mitigates the impact of bothering people around you in a darkened auditorium.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I’ve been using my iPad for years and years at church. My iPad and the Olivetree bible app Has been a perfect match for me. Now I’ve upgraded to the 12.9 iPad, more is better right? Well it’s been four days and now I’m thinking maybe this 12.9 is just too big an I’m jumping the shark. I may need to revert back to my old iPad for church. Now don’t get me wrong I love this 12.9 completely! But it just may not work for my situation.
Can anyone give their experience of using a 12.9 at church? Too bright, clumsy, privacy, drop prone?
Well, Pastors or Priest CAN USE it as a VISUAL Aid like doing a Microsoft Power Point Presentation in order to highlight the chapter and verses. But if you're only a member of the church or rarely goes to church using iPad (Any of size even the iPad Mini) can cause a Distraction for some, especially young adults ages from 12 to 39 years of age and even worse younger than 11 years old will be distracted making them unfocused listening to what does the church says..

You can use a Tablet not more than 7 inch.. anything bigger than 7 inch is just a bit of distraction.. even iPad Mini can distract someone else.. unless all of the church members or the people there are 40 years old and above not kids/young adults 39 and below.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
You can use a Tablet not more than 7 inch.. anything bigger than 7 inch is just a bit of distraction.. even iPad Mini can distract someone else.. unless all of the church members or the people there are 40 years old and above not kids/young adults 39 and below.
Is this some sort of revolutionary scientific fact?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Well, Pastors or Priest CAN USE it as a VISUAL Aid like doing a Microsoft Power Point Presentation in order to highlight the chapter and verses. But if you're only a member of the church or rarely goes to church using iPad (Any of size even the iPad Mini) can cause a Distraction for some, especially young adults ages from 12 to 39 years of age and even worse younger than 11 years old will be distracted making them unfocused listening to what does the church says..

This really applies to usage of any electronic device in public. Be considerate to those around you, using any device with a bright display can be distracting, so using lower brightness/dark mode if available to be as discreet as possible. A bright display can be as annoying to others are talking loudly on a phone.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
If I took my iPad to church, then I'd have to go. I didn't think Siri was human enough to understand me, let alone want to be taken to church every Sunday ;-)

Reactions: Vivian125

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I would love for Apple to make an iPad Pro that is a betweent he size of a mini and an 11" maybe around ~9 inches or so. Ive been using an iPad Pro 11" at church for almost a year. I tried the Mini and I liked the size but the pencil I didnt care for. When teaching, I use Logos open on the left and Keynote open on the right to show the slides on the screen. When listening, I use Logos and Goodnotes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.