Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Ok I dont know which Hub and Adapter do you mean ? I mean I know a couple.of them but which one exactly works in this scenario, can you post a link of a similar product or something ?

And so does using a Hub or an Adapter as you say does not deplete the battery in the iPad Pro ? How does using Hub or an Adapter help ?

Hub example -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7C53K2

Adapter -

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

With either of these you can connect a power source that will charge/power the iPad while the HDMI port is in use.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Ok I dont know which Hub and Adapter do you mean ? I mean I know a couple.of them but which one exactly works in this scenario, can you post a link of a similar product or something ?

And so does using a Hub or an Adapter as you say does not deplete the battery in the iPad Pro ? How does using Hub or an Adapter help ?

I believe he's talking about this: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...148c7f328389f1a4e74797d3775e1c1685847d8323ed4

This is the part I refuse to buy - just to keep my iPad charged while I'm displaying to an external monitor. The thing is, with iOS and iPad OS, you are always running off your battery, so this will increase the wear and tear on your battery because the iPad doesn't have a clamshell external monitor mode or the ability to run 100% off the wall's power. But at least your battery will stay charged.

The lack of full external monitor support and having to have the iPad screen "mirror" - didn't work for me -- but I have a desktop (Windows) and a MBP so... Those without it may work well for them.

Edit: Wow, I guess my browser didn't refresh the cache on this page, I missed sparksd already posting this, my bad!

Reactions: Superman730

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
This is the part I refuse to buy - just to keep my iPad charged while I'm displaying to an external monitor. The thing is, with iOS and iPad OS, you are always running off your battery, so this will increase the wear and tear on your battery because the iPad doesn't have a clamshell external monitor mode or the ability to run 100% off the wall's power. But at least your battery will stay charged.

Wow ! That is some Bold Statement. So you are saying using an external monitor with an iPad Pro will increase the wear & tear on the battery of the iPad Pro ? is that what you are saying ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wow ! That is some Bold Statement. So you are saying using an external monitor with an iPad Pro will increase the wear & tear on the battery of the iPad Pro ? is that what you are saying ?

Yep. Macbooks allow your laptop to run 100% off the power supply so you can have little cycling on the battery if you leave your battery plugged in all the time.

iOS and iPad OS run 100% off the battery even if plugged in.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Like many of you, for this device to be really usable as a general, day-to-day computing device [for the wife], I need it to drive an external display, resolution independent, as an extended desktop.

Just for another option (in addition to what @sparksd posted), confirmed operational with my 12.9 iPP.

Provides a USB-C charging port in, HDMI out (tested but not in use), 2 USB-A ports (2.0/3.1) out, one being used to drive an external DAC. It's even pretty nicely designed, aluminum construction, I got it during a coupon offer, it was like $21.

Kind of a side perk, but the reason I chose this one specifically: it also functions as a TV out for a Nintendo Switch. You just have to supply the right amount of power (i.e., the OEM Switch charger, or I'm thinking any 60w PD charger, will buy of those soon ...)
[automerge]1589209562[/automerge]
I meant to add, she's already got a decent large display being used with a MBP, external magic KB/TP (also tested, and works great with the recent iPadOS update), our printer (on that rare occasion) supports iOS, and she was just saying how much she prefers the iPad when she wants to go "full mobile" (i.e., use it on the deck while drinking wine ... :D)

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Like many of you, for this device to be really usable as a general, day-to-day computing device [for the wife], I need it to drive an external display, resolution independent, as an extended desktop.

Just for another option (in addition to what @sparksd posted), confirmed operational with my 12.9 iPP.

Provides a USB-C charging port in, HDMI out (tested but not in use), 2 USB-A ports (2.0/3.1) out, one being used to drive an external DAC. It's even pretty nicely designed, aluminum construction, I got it during a coupon offer, it was like $21.

Kind of a side perk, but the reason I chose this one specifically: it also functions as a TV out for a Nintendo Switch. You just have to supply the right amount of power (i.e., the OEM Switch charger, or I'm thinking any 60w PD charger, will buy of those soon ...)
[automerge]1589209562[/automerge]
I meant to add, she's already got a decent large display being used with a MBP, external magic KB/TP (also tested, and works great with the recent iPadOS update), our printer (on that rare occasion) supports iOS, and she was just saying how much she prefers the iPad when she wants to go "full mobile" (i.e., use it on the deck while drinking wine ... :D)

Funny about the prices on these hubs that are versatile and work very well vs the prices of Apple's limited application dongles ...

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Yep. Macbooks allow your laptop to run 100% off the power supply so you can have little cycling on the battery if you leave your battery plugged in all the time.

iOS and iPad OS run 100% off the battery even if plugged in.

Ok, so you are saying the wear and tear on the battery of the iPad Pro will happen because of constantly keeping it on charge not because of using the external Display ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Ok, so you are saying the wear and tear on the battery of the iPad Pro will happen because of constantly keeping it on charge not because of using the external Display ?

More usage - powering an external monitor and the internal monitor drops the battery significantly (when I used it on a 4k monitor). Battery dropped easily 2x as fast for me doing this.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
@BigMcGuire that is an interesting assertion, if true. How do you know that the iPad Pro uses battery power even when plugged in and on a fully charged battery, thus chugging through battery cycles all day, which is the opposite behavior that Macs exhibit? Is this from personal experimentation? Did you read it somewhere?

I mean, this seems to not jive with what the battery section of the Settings app is telling me. I hook up to an external monitor every day for work for the better part of 8 hours (unless I am stuck in meetings for a good portion of the day) and this is what I see. I note that on Wednesday last week I experimented with a USB-C extension cable that didn’t have the bandwidth to charge the battery and my external mechanical keyboard simultaneously, thus I worked for 8 hours with no charge, 6 or 7 or so of that connected to the external monitor, and left the office that day with about 33% charge left, and by the time I went to bed for the night and plugged in, I was down to 4%.

According to this graph, in the Setting app, the battery does not get used when you are plugged in, but rather the normal expected behavior of using power supply power when plugged in.

I’m not trying to call you out or anything like that, I just want to understand. You are absolutely correct that it takes significantly more power to mirror the display rather than to turn off the built-in screen when connected to an external monitor, but being as the iPad is a touch first device, it would be kind of counter productive to have the display turn off so you couldn’t use touch to navigate.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 08.55.03.png

Reactions: udance4ever

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
@BigMcGuire that is an interesting assertion, if true. How do you know that the iPad Pro uses battery power even when plugged in and on a fully charged battery, thus chugging through battery cycles all day, which is the opposite behavior that Macs exhibit? Is this from personal experimentation? Did you read it somewhere?

I mean, this seems to not jive with what the battery section of the Settings app is telling me. I hook up to an external monitor every day for work for the better part of 8 hours (unless I am stuck in meetings for a good portion of the day) and this is what I see. I note that on Wednesday last week I experimented with a USB-C extension cable that didn’t have the bandwidth to charge the battery and my external mechanical keyboard simultaneously, thus I worked for 8 hours with no charge, 6 or 7 or so of that connected to the external monitor, and left the office that day with about 33% charge left, and by the time I went to bed for the night and plugged in, I was down to 4%.

According to this graph, in the Setting app, the battery does not get used when you are plugged in, but rather the normal expected behavior of using power supply power when plugged in.

I’m not trying to call you out or anything like that, I just want to understand. You are absolutely correct that it takes significantly more power to mirror the display rather than to turn off the built-in screen when connected to an external monitor, but being as the iPad is a touch first device, it would be kind of counter productive to have the display turn off so you couldn’t use touch to navigate.

View attachment 914306

Ok so what’s your point ? What is the moral of the story ? that the iPad Pro does not get charged but it would only deplete the battery while connected to an external monitor ?

KenEck2009

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2017
Just a thought...

If you had an older Apple TV, why not use that for a wireless solution? Connecting the Apple TV to a monitor (HDMI), then Airplay from your iPad to your monitor (via Apple TV)

I currently use this solution.

Sometimes it maybe cheaper to buy a second hand Apple TV then a wired dongle...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
Just a thought...

If you had an older Apple TV, why not use that for a wireless solution? Connecting the Apple TV to a monitor (HDMI), then Airplay from your iPad to your monitor (via Apple TV)

How does this set up help ? No excessive battery depletion ? And is there any lag ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

View attachment 914306

No worries at all. My information comes half and half from personal experience and reading here on Macrumors/other forums. In my past I used to replace batteries for family - that stopped around the iPhone 5 days. An iPhone/iPod/iPad don't run without a battery installed. Power goes through the battery and then to the wall. Most laptops today and in the past, including Macs, will run without a battery installed.

My personal experience: I observe my battery usage with coconutBattery (iMazing on Windows) - my Macbooks will sometimes use 0 cycles in a month because they're plugged in almost constantly but used 8+ hours a day. My iPad/iPhones will cycle through about 10-15 cycles a month even though they're plugged in a lot throughout the month. Leaving my iPhone/iPad plugged in - it still consumes battery cycles whereas my Macbook does not.

Finding sources wasn't super easy but check out some of these:

Macbooks without Battery:

iPhone without Battery:

Apple's battery management while plugged in has definitely improved over the years: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208710

I see this as well with coconutBattery - my battery capacity will drop (from design capacity) when plugged in for long periods of time (a lot of my devices spend a long time plugged in). This greatly helps the life of the battery especially with usage like mine where my devices are plugged in a lot.

And you make a GREAT point - the iPad acts like a massive touchpad for the operating system so unless one would have an external bluetooth mouse, it would be counter-intuitive to shut off the screen. Totally agree.
[automerge]1589291400[/automerge]
Ok so what’s your point ? What is the moral of the story ? that the iPad Pro does not get charged but it would only deplete the battery while connected to an external monitor ?

That the iPad doesn't run completely off wall power and due to the extra resource usage of an external monitor, the battery will be cycled significantly faster when using an external monitor. For my own usage - I'd prefer a clamshell mode where the iPad's screen turns off when I'm using an external mouse/keyboard - like I do with my Macbook Pro - it's clamshelled to a 4k monitor with an external mouse/keyboard.

For some this isn't an issue, just my personal preference.

It is my experience and from what I've read - the iPad will first draw power from the battery, which can be powered by the wall. So the battery is constantly being cycled/used so having to power two screens will result in excessive battery wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: udance4ever

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
Just a thought...

@BigMcGuire What do you think about the above method mentioned by him ? Will that even result in faster draining and going through charging cycles ?

That the iPad doesn't run completely off wall power and due to the extra resource usage of an external monitor, the battery will be cycled significantly faster when using an external monitor. For my own usage - I'd prefer a clamshell mode where the iPad's screen turns off when I'm using an external mouse/keyboard - like I do with my Macbook Pro - it's clamshelled to a 4k monitor with an external mouse/keyboard.

For some this isn't an issue, just my personal preference.

It is my experience and from what I've read - the iPad will first draw power from the battery, which can be powered by the wall. So the battery is constantly being cycled/used so having to power two screens will result in excessive battery wear.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
As always, please
@BigMcGuire What do you think about the above method mentioned by him ? Will that even result in faster draining and going through charging cycles ?

Airplay is actually pretty good on battery life. I've done entire movies and had less battery usage on my iPad than if I use my iPad to display the movie.

However using Airplay to show screen, or Safari tab - I don't have a lot of experience with that. What little I did use it for, it was laggy and not comfortable to use (but this was some time ago, not in the last year or two). Wired is going to be a LOT faster, at that point I'd consider it a usability thing and just go with wired.

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
However using Airplay to show screen, or Safari tab - I don't have a lot of experience with that. What little I did use it for, it was laggy and not comfortable to use (but this was some time ago, not in the last year or two). Wired is going to be a LOT faster, at that point I'd consider it a usability thing and just go with wired.

I asked him the same question. is Airplay to mirror iPad on Monitor Laggy ?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the same type set up. I’m assuming that you have to have the iPad screen on as well as the monitor?

It seems some app control is at play here. e.g., with a monitor connected, if I play a video with Infuse, the video continues playing if I turn the iPad screen off; doing the same with nPlayer, the video goes into pause mode; with other apps, turn the screen off and the monitor goes blank.

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC
I have an HP Monitor that connects with USB-C and I have tried using my iPad Pro with the Monitor along with the Mouse support and a wireless keyboard and its not bad.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
It is possible to mirror the iPad screen onto a Mac monitor using QuickTime.
I use this from time to time when I am editing videos using LumaFusion.

The ipad needs to be plugged into the Mac.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
is anyone using Apple TV to do Airplay and mirror the iPad Pro screen on to the Monitor how is the performance? is there any noticable lag ?

depeschiezero

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2018
Germany
I use it with a LG 5K Monitor and it is kind of nice. It also supports Speaker, charge while connected, Camera and the connected mouse and keyboard. I also use Shadow to connect to a virtual high end Computer which runs Windows for occasional gaming and for work with Phpstorm or the Adobe CC Applications.

External monitor support could be better, for resolution and usability. Most apps do not use the external display in some reasonable way. But: Shadow supports the display as a second full-screen monitor device - which is great.
Looking forward to see this feature in Microsofts RDP App and Adobe Lightroom.

It is some kind of very cool to have that power of an iPad Pro without a fan and to edit the latest Lightroom Pictures on the big screen.

Attachments

• 1BC10F78-5A21-4EA6-B56D-88BD49B6555A.jpeg
    1BC10F78-5A21-4EA6-B56D-88BD49B6555A.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 273

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
More usage - powering an external monitor and the internal monitor drops the battery significantly (when I used it on a 4k monitor). Battery dropped easily 2x as fast for me doing this.
There is no battery drain if you use the IPP with a USB-C monitor. To the contrary, the monitor charges the iPad. I have two such monitors at different locations and use them on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.