Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A lot of times I AirPlay my iPad Pro 11” to my 4K tv and use the shiftscreen app to get rid of the black bars. I haven’t experienced any lagging. It doesn’t work in instance (see the app website) but it is gaining more and more support at a fast pace.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There is no battery drain if you use the IPP with a USB-C monitor. To the contrary, the monitor charges the iPad. I have two such monitors at different locations and use them on a daily basis.

Not every USB-C monitor provides a charge - if you want it, you need to make sure the monitor you choose has it.

Reactions: udance4ever

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
A lot of times I AirPlay my iPad Pro 11” to my 4K tv and use the shiftscreen app to get rid of the black bars. I haven’t experienced any lagging. It doesn’t work in instance (see the app website) but it is gaining more and more support at a fast pace.

I am exactly planning to use the same set up iPad Pro+Apple TV+External Monitor+Shiftscreen and do Airplay. So I am very curious to find out when you say it does not work in an instance, what does not work an instance ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am exactly planning to use the same set up iPad Pro+Apple TV+External Monitor+Shiftscreen and do Airplay. So I am very curious to find out when you say it does not work in an instance, what does not work an instance ?

If you log into Office via the web (web app) you wont see black bars. Log in via the app on your iPad and you will see bars on the monitor. That kind of thing is what I was speaking to. At the moment, not every website you go to or app used, is going to offer full shiftscreen support right now. The support is growing.

Sparksd is the member who suggested the app to me not too long ago.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I use the HyperDrive dock with my 11" Pro. That allows me to not only connect the iPad to my monitor, but also connect the charger and even an external SSD to the iPad at the same time.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
No worries at all. My information comes half and half from personal experience and reading here on Macrumors/other forums. In my past I used to replace batteries for family - that stopped around the iPhone 5 days. An iPhone/iPod/iPad don't run without a battery installed. Power goes through the battery and then to the wall. Most laptops today and in the past, including Macs, will run without a battery installed.

My personal experience: I observe my battery usage with coconutBattery (iMazing on Windows) - my Macbooks will sometimes use 0 cycles in a month because they're plugged in almost constantly but used 8+ hours a day. My iPad/iPhones will cycle through about 10-15 cycles a month even though they're plugged in a lot throughout the month. Leaving my iPhone/iPad plugged in - it still consumes battery cycles whereas my Macbook does not.

Finding sources wasn't super easy but check out some of these:

Macbooks without Battery:

iPhone without Battery:

Apple's battery management while plugged in has definitely improved over the years: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208710

I see this as well with coconutBattery - my battery capacity will drop (from design capacity) when plugged in for long periods of time (a lot of my devices spend a long time plugged in). This greatly helps the life of the battery especially with usage like mine where my devices are plugged in a lot.

And you make a GREAT point - the iPad acts like a massive touchpad for the operating system so unless one would have an external bluetooth mouse, it would be counter-intuitive to shut off the screen. Totally agree.
[automerge]1589291400[/automerge]

That the iPad doesn't run completely off wall power and due to the extra resource usage of an external monitor, the battery will be cycled significantly faster when using an external monitor. For my own usage - I'd prefer a clamshell mode where the iPad's screen turns off when I'm using an external mouse/keyboard - like I do with my Macbook Pro - it's clamshelled to a 4k monitor with an external mouse/keyboard.

For some this isn't an issue, just my personal preference.

It is my experience and from what I've read - the iPad will first draw power from the battery, which can be powered by the wall. So the battery is constantly being cycled/used so having to power two screens will result in excessive battery wear.

If the monitor has its own power supply, then the iPad isn't powering the display, just sending a signal to it. Additionally, if your devices are plugged in "a lot" rather than all the time, there will be battery cycles added to the counter.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.