Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Having this issue for the last 2 weeks on my second paid of APMs (First ones died from condensation death I'm pretty sure).

If I take them off at all I have to restart them to have them connect to anything.

I have noticed that randomly while in their case my Phone or one of my Computers will indicate that they are connected still, or my computer will notify me that they are now connected.

Unsure on what is the cause, maybe not getting fully disconnected and it hangs and needs a restart.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Glad I read this. I'll make sure mine are on the newest firmware and are not having this issue. AppleCare ends in December.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
My airpods max are going nuts. I keep having to reset them to connect to the computer, to fix the buttons not working, etc, etc. Just doesn't make any sense.

silentthunder77

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2005
Have some updates about my APM.

Yesterday I charged them up to 100% and kept them charging, tried A LOT of resets (staying longer pressing the buttons) and eventualy they started to lose connection less times. Also I tried to update them to the latest version, keeping them close to my phone, ipad, mac… even connected to the ipad… and… after some hours they got updated and now are running perfectly, like there were no issues… what makes me think this is something about apple updates… So my advice is trying to keep them updated and see if it gets back to normal.
I have been having this same issue for the past month or so and also been trying to fix it through updating firmware; however, even if my plugged-in iPhone is right next to the plugged-in APM, on WiFi, devices are connected to each other via Bluetooth, the APM will not update the firmware. Do you have any suggestions on a better approach to help ensure the APM will update?

It seems that I am having the same issues many of you all are describing. Prior to about a month ago, the APM would work perfectly fine. Perhaps an iOS update ruined the headphones? When the issue first started occurring, I was able to choose "forget device," and re-pair the APM with the iPhone and it would work. Now, even after I go through that process, the audio will be playing on the iPhone but there is no sound coming from the headphones. Any direction to help solve this would be greatly appreciated (Apple Store was no help except suggesting that I can pay $299 to potentially fix or perhaps replace them, which I would prefer to avoid if possible).

BinkyTheToaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Yes. Mine crash/lock up/drop connection daily. Literally just happened <5 min ago, I had to put them back in the case and pull them out to get them to reconnect to anything at all. They're a source of constant frustration, have sent them back repeatedly for repair, all to no avail. Apple really doesn't care about this product. Avoid. I wish I had.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I think they are not getting disconnected when in their case is part of the issue so they lock up. I am constantly having them come back to 18% battery after spending the night in the case after being charged the day before. In addition to the fact my computer constantly pops up that they are connected when in the case.

Last edited:

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
For anyone else having problems here, does putting the Airpods Max back in the case fix your issues? I was experiencing another glitch where starting an audio stream starts on the left ear and then pops in very loudly on the right for a split second before settling in properly. After using the case to put the headphones into "ultra low power mode" ... essentially turning them off, I think ... the problem went away.

Might help mitigate some of my other issues too, but it definitely seems to do *something* positive in terms of resetting or clearing whatever is happening on the headphones.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
No, putting them into the case for myself still has them randomly connecting to devices and the battery drains to 0% overnight some nights

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Not sure when or what, but my issue seems resolved. Probably a software update finally got to them.

I did remove my AirPods 3, AirPods Pro 2, and AirPods Max as devices in Bluetooth settings, and did the hard reset on each one, and then re attached then one at a time. Not sure had any effect, but something to try if still having issues.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I did a full reset of my AirPods Max last night and they worked for the night then today I have had to restart them every time to get them to connect again.

AirPods Max I think are just poorly made or unable to withstand day to day use. Hopefully a new version comes out that resolves the issues

BinkyTheToaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Mine will literally drop out, and be completely inaccessible via Bluetooth. I have to force low-power mode with my stand (the case works too) to get them back. Yesterday I had them die within thirty seconds of my Apple Music playlist ending. I'm waiting for them to die during a Webex (my primary use)

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
OMG this started happening to me again a few days ago. So awful. Hate it. Hope that I can get them replaced.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
This started for me on the last major FW with iOS17 that introduced the mute feature (and adaptive audio that isn’t avail on the Maxs). Had mine for 2 years never had this. So this is 100% a software issue. I was hoping the last update would have solved it but no change. Still lock up constantly. Basically unusable at this point. If it continues I’ll have to get something else I rely on them for meetings.

BinkyTheToaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
OMG this started happening to me again a few days ago. So awful. Hate it. Hope that I can get them replaced.
Oh, that's the best part; I've taken them to the Genius Bar so much that at this point they've basically replaced the headphones ship-of-Theseus style. First the headband, then the earcups and all internal components. WTF, Apple, and now the Transparency volume is deafening for louder sounds. OMG Ponies, will the fun ever start?!

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
I just noticed that Apple hasnt released new firmware for any H1 devices since the original GA release
6A300. Everything with H2 is on 6A305. Interesting.

BinkyTheToaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
I just noticed that Apple hasnt released new firmware for any H1 devices since the original GA release
6A300. Everything with H2 is on 6A305. Interesting.
This has all the hallmarks of "we're abandoning this product, too bad consumers, get effed." It wouldn't be the first time for Apple.

malreynolds

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
This is still happening to me. I'm seriously thinking of selling mine, they went from a favorite to a most hated product because of this.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Another firmware update came out 6.1 for APP 2 only. Still nothing for Max and I doubt we will see anything. H1 is moved to maintenance mode. Meaning these Maxs are too.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The Pro 2's are getting more firmware updates because Apple is fine-tuning the adaptive transparency mode. Given that the other AirPods don't have that feature, they don't need the updates.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Been having a lot of issues with Airpods Max this past week. I can't track the issues exactly to those of folks in this thread, but I can say it seems like something's up.

Specifically, selecting them and using them in newest version of Sonoma.

Biggest illustration of issues is sometimes I'll try to use them with a video conferencing tool like Zoom and they just won't connect.

I'll switch to APP2--or try to, I've had system audio basically barf altogether. Then after the call try to choose Max's again and I have to restart macos (!)

Restarting the Max's hasn't had much of an effect. Pretty frustrating, they used to work perfectly among APP / moving between iPhone, etc. Things were so stable.

bulldawgs912

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Been having this issue now for the past week or 2. Have to restart them every single time I want to use them. When I am home throughout the day I will notice that my phone is showing connected to them even though they are in the case. This seems to be draining the battery a ton too.

josevazrodrigues

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
I found a solution! After all the issues, of being connected and not working, and being forced to restart everytime, i finaly got them to update to the newest firmware… and they started playing and connecting well!! 👏👌… but after 3 weeks they died 😵 sooo… I contacted apple and and autorized agent here in Portugal and both told me because my device was out pf warranty the only solution would be pay 300€ (half the price of the product) and get a new one. BUT i found on apple website that apple had a service of battery replacement for 89€ and since my device was not turning on, the problem would be the battery, and the fact they dont connect maybe is due to the battery.
Since they were out of the apple 1 year warranty and these battery replacement service was only done by apple store (and theres no one here in portugal) I had to ask the authorized apple agent to ask apple to do the repair, and they accepted it (the service was on their official website, so they had to accept it, and not force me pay 330€ to get a replacement). So… basically the replaced the right part pf the airpods, for a new one and now they are functioning… so in conclusion… the problem was BATTERY.
The guy of the authorized agent store told me these devices have micro batteries and if we stop use it for a short period of time it gets damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.