Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
The iPad Mini is the golden sleeper.

In fact, it's the Gold standard of tablets.

1. Best screen size.
2. Best for portability.
3. Supports 5G.
4. Supports Apple Pencil.
5. Supports keyboards [Not Magic keyboard].
6. Supports Sidecar for Macs.
7. Supports Split-View & Slide-Over.
8. Supports Picture in Picture.
9. Solid price.

The only items missing is
1. 120hz display.
2. Higher storage [512GB].
3. 8 GB base RAM.
4. M1 Chip to handle Final Cut/Davinci Resolve.
5. Mini Magic Keyboard.
Gold standard of tablets? lol that’s certainly an opinion.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
I wonder if the move to OLED for iPad Pro will necessitate an increase in pixel density to compensate for non-RGB-stripe subpixel arrangement. I don’t know if the more recent ‘diamond’ design causes colour fringing on details like text without a density boost.

It’s also been a funny perk of the iPad mini that it has the highest pixel density in the iPad range.

There’s also the ‘tandem’ dual-stack aspect, could they be using a unique sub-pixel layout combined with the dual-stack to attain a higher effective sub-pixel resolution. Each layer of the stack could be unique and complementary.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Gives me a feeling.. Apple no longer has a company wide release strategy. There isn’t a single team that plans when are M3 chip device family released, etc.

The chip team is probably just pumping out chips and the separate product team build on top of it.. only explanation to the weird release schedule, products skipping chip generations, and Vision Pro released with M2 chip..

Calebjones19

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
Apple Vision Pro needs to have an AR version of your phone when you pick it up so that you can use your phones keyboard to text

Reactions: endemize

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I wish, but the rumors heavily indicate not till fall. You would think they would want to get rid of that iPad with the jelly scrolling as soon as possible, but no.
Unless they plan to slip in the A18 or rebranded A17, both based on the new N3E process. If that’s the case, September would be the earliest they could release it.

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
An event for iPad? Who cares? My first gen 11” is still plenty good enough. It doesn’t need to be faster, thinner or have longer battery life. Where’s my 28” iMac? Apple has lost its way again. Vision Pro has no purpose either. Slim down the offerings and the crazy model fragmentation, keep prices in check and spend the savings on real innovation.

Reactions: Larry-K and GarethR

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I’ve been waiting so long for the OLED iPad Pro, but I’m not sure i want to be stuck with an M3 chip (w/security issues)… Do I wait another year an for M4 OLED iPad Pro? 😱

Reactions: mr_jomo

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Was expecting only a press release. Glad to see that an event is happening. Excited to see the new iPads!

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
we seen this movie before. spec bump, they think we're going to love it. if we are really lucky we also get a new colour. big woop.
I struggle to figure out what they can do to the iPad to improve it, other than the regular rumors we've heard so far - OLED, new MKB, and landscape camera. It's getting thinner? It's already thin enough, I'd rather have longer battery life instead. The iPads are already more than capable for everything they can do.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm interested in seeing if there's any big software updates at this event, or whether that's being held off until WWDC. They could easily tell us iPads will support JIT support for emulators and hypervisor for some future VM software - both of which are already completely possible and have been on past versions of iOS/iPadOS. I get that VMs will sort of kill their walled garden approach if I can run a desktop OS. I'd be excited about the iPad again, likely even switch back to it as my main computer.

Reactions: GarethR

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Been using my 11” M1 iPad Pro as my daily driver since launch day, been by far the most useful and worthwhile iPad I’ve owned. Other than replacing a worn out and stopped functioning Smart Keyboard Folio, I’ve not had a moments frustration or annoyance with it.

Interested to see what the next version of the Pro is. Mini LED or OLED could persuade me, as the blooming of bright objects on a black background is about the only thing that made me wish for the display on the 12”. 12” though would be too big for that ultra-portability and use of my Pro as an e-reader in bed.

Will be watching the event with interest.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yea, it’s gana be annoying, especially since they prob won’t launch for almost another two weeks after

Because it’s also so close to WWDC. I will probably get one regardless, but I can see people opting to hold off till after the WWDC keynote to see what iOS 18 may bring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.