Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Ah, I see.

There's no reason for them to do that. As I said above, they pick a point on the power/performance curve to satisfy thermal necessities (and possibly battery). Cutting it from 10w to 5w wouldn't produce an optimal outcome.

In fact, I think we can conclude that the SoC will be able to draw a bit more power in this generation, due to the inclusion of copper and graphite spreaders.
I think after a long and winding road we somehow came to an agreement 😊👍🏼

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
For anyone who hasn't seen it in the M3/M4 thread: First (?) GB6 report from M4 iPad.

These numbers are not very surprising, and yet at the same time totally remarkable. They show Apple crushing not only *all* current x86 and Arm chips in single-core, but also the next generation incoming. And these M4s are not the last word from Apple - expect the Max, at least, to run even faster, possibly another 5-10% in desktops.

Multicore is also excellent, though Apple clearly isn't interested in competing with the really high-core-count processors out there.

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
BTW, anyone know why GB's browser search is so unbelievably crappy? If you search for "iPad16,6" you won't find the result listed above. Or am I doing something wrong?

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Can see it now.

Sitting on the couch and I add a new album to my music library, but then I have to get up and find my MK just to edit the song tags.
Nothing like planning ahead before lounging….

Honestly, is there nothing people won’t complain about?
You give a workaround option to deliver what people complain about and STILL they complain…. Having worked in It support I’ve seen this all my working like. Someone always whinges. With such third world problems. Apple devs must shake their heads too.

Kind of makes me go “Ok, forget about iPadOS offering a Mac mode. If they are getting off their couches, let them pick up their MacBook instead”. Easier option. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Abazigal

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Do you have your face 7 inches from a laptop screen that you are drawing on and selecting menus with your finger?
No, I have my iPad exactly the same distance away as I would with a laptop, considering I always use it in a keyboard case with trackpad. It looks exactly like a laptop.

Sooby

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2019
It’s great see an OLED now and the increased thinness is excellent in bringing the weight down which is very welcome on the big Pro. Good upgrade.

Reactions: Abazigal

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The iPad would generally be used for things with a lot more static objects on the screen. Assuming it's used by professionals doing heavy lifting tasks.

At the other end of the potential market, my children leave their screens on, get distracted, walk away, fall asleep, forget about it for hours.

Just interested in what tech they're implementing to try and help.
OLED emitters age more quickly the brighter they are driven. One of the benefits of the dual layer display is that an individual emitter doesn’t need to be driven as much to get greater brightness because there are two emitters instead of one.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Basically enough upgrade to make me update my 2018 11" Pro to a 13", opting for the nano texture and hoping that will be a good choice.

But can't help thinking that the iPad really, really only would shine if it finally allowed full MacOS. The software and the hardware do not fit at all anymore. I think it would be easier to do that than to allow this weird iOS/MacOS blend of iPadOS. MacOS with some UI-work would be just fine for touch.
Do you use your iPad outside a lot that you need the anti-glare of the nanotexture? If not, I would worry about the effect of that nanotexture on colors and black levels. I listened the the Upgrade podcast today and the hosts were at the press events and had the iPads in their hands. They said that the nanotexture makes the blacks look less black and that colors looks odd when viewed off angle. They felt that, unless you had a need to work on images and videos outdoors, then the regular screen might give a better image. Of course you’ll make your decision based on your needs, I just thought I would pass on this impression.

FYI @highdefjunkie , @GregJohn

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Did they reduce the back cameras to just 1 instead of 2 or am I reading that wrong haha

also nano or regular ? I’ve heard inconvenient things about nano
The removed the ultra-wide camera. Likely they have data on how often people use each camera and I would expect that very few iPad users ever used that ultra-wide.

Reactions: wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
The removed the ultra-wide camera. Likely they have data on how often people use each camera and I would expect that very few iPad users ever used that ultra-wide.
Wonder how many use the regular camera too?

I’ve seen grey nomads taking snapshots (it is easier to view if you have poor eyesight) but very few other cases have I seen it used.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
From what I’ve heard, this nanotexture is not an etching. It is a chemical treatment of the top layer of glass. That means it isn’t rougher and not prone to damage from fingerprints, fortunately.
Hopefully it will hold up to pencil use, esp from 3rd party pencils which may have harder tips than the Apple Pencils.

nli10@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Wonder how many use the regular camera too?

I’ve seen grey nomads taking snapshots (it is easier to view if you have poor eyesight) but very few other cases have I seen it used.
Honestly - I do it more than I thought. It’s clunky to put the iPad to one side when out, get the phone, take the shot and then go back to what you were doing - so I often use the iPad for taking pictures, even though the iPhone 14 has a better final result!

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Honestly - I do it more than I thought. It’s clunky to put the iPad to one side when out, get the phone, take the shot and then go back to what you were doing - so I often use the iPad for taking pictures, even though the iPhone 14 has a better final result!
Cool. That’s one… :)

Most people do make the effort if they want better photo quality.
And most people walk around with phones in their hands rather than iPads.

I imagine field data collectors who carry iPads would use the camera in iPad more too.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Cool. That’s one… :)

Most people do make the effort if they want better photo quality.
And most people walk around with phones in their hands rather than iPads.

I imagine field data collectors who carry iPads would use the camera in iPad more too.
I see lots of older people at dog shows using iPads to take videos.

Reactions: wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I see lots of older people at dog shows using iPads to take videos.
Yeah that was my original use case… older people. They find the big screen easier to see. (And most people watching them use it have funny looks on their faces watching them do it. Hahaha.:

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
On an iPad, anyway.

Fun to see what an M4 Ultra would look like.
Still not what I'm talking about. In the x86 world, these days, really high core count is 64 or more. Apple's not trying to compete with that, at least for now, nor are they likely to with any 2xMax-ish Ultra. Now, if they get a 4-way system going, as has repeatedly been rumored, they could start to get close. Though probably still not enough to keep up with the 2024 top-end chips (128 cores).

I have no doubt they could wipe the floor with Intel and AMD if they wanted to build a 128-core processor, but they clearly have other priorities.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Still not what I'm talking about. In the x86 world, these days, really high core count is 64 or more. Apple's not trying to compete with that, at least for now, nor are they likely to with any 2xMax-ish Ultra. Now, if they get a 4-way system going, as has repeatedly been rumored, they could start to get close. Though probably still not enough to keep up with the 2024 top-end chips (128 cores).

I have no doubt they could wipe the floor with Intel and AMD if they wanted to build a 128-core processor, but they clearly have other priorities.

Right. But it's not like a Threadripper Pro 7995WX with all its 96 cores has four times the multi-core performance of a 24-core M2 Ultra. Apple seems more interested in eventually trumping the performance with fewer cores than in offering products (to a very small niche) that offer many cores.

Reactions: ric22

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
Right. But it's not like a Threadripper Pro 7995WX with all its 96 cores has four times the multi-core performance of a 24-core M2 Ultra. Apple seems more interested in eventually trumping the performance with fewer cores than in offering products (to a very small niche) that offer many cores.
You're mostly right - though multicore workloads can vary *wildly*, with the single most important factor being how independently subtasks can run. The more independent, the closer to perfect scaling you're going to get, and the more the Threadripper/EPYC/Xeon will pull ahead of the Ultra. On a simplistic level, that's the key distinction between GB5 and GB6 multicore scoring.

The other key issue here is that you only have so many watts to distribute among all your cores. Intel and AMD have gone big here, with their biggest chips, drawing hundreds of watts. Apple has declined to play that game so far.

Apple is unlikely to "trump" their performance at the high-multi-core end any time soon. They're not interested in that market... at least, not enough to try something there yet. Perhaps with the rumored 4xMax-type configuration, if they ever release it. It's easy to imagine a unit with a single Max and three additional CPU/GPU units with anywhere from 16 to 32 P cores each, coming to 108 P cores (32*3 + 12) or more. But do they think there's a market for that? There isn't right now, but perhaps they will have the patience to develop it.

I think this is actually looking more likely than it was a couple years ago- the need for more data center processors may drive Apple to build their own, and if they do go to that trouble (as they have recently been rumored to), why not share those dev costs with a product they can sell, not just consume?

Reactions: Tagbert

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
"If you wait, you'll wait forever."

You're welcome. But it's obviously not true. I waited before buying an MBP, and it turns out I only waited until Apple started taking the platform seriously. So I only waited 10 years or so.
Yeah I just justified it with how I got a 10% discount. Loving it so far :cool:

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
It is not to replace iPadOS with MacOS on iPad or use MacOS on touch screen, but the possibility to use an iPad as sort of "portable Mac mini/nano" where I can connect a screen, keyboard and mouse and run full macOS. (Technically this not that complicated and performance-wise even an Iphone could run MacOS this way!)
And when you don't have the screen keyboard and mouse connected, your data is incredibly hard to access.

Touch targets are either too small or the screen is blown up beyond native resolution. Menu bars require multi-step interactions, while keyboard combos require you to set the device down on a flat surface. In fact, all text entry causes half the screen to go away. Apps that rely on mouse movements become difficult to work with. You need to learn and remember multitouch gestures to differentiate a mouse drag from a mouse move from a window scroll from a screen scroll (when you are in text entry mode).

At the moment I need an IPad AND a Mac, but would gladly buy an 16GB/2TB M4 IPad Pro which could run IPadOS and MacOS - and even if MacOS only works with a mandatory external screen/keyboard/mouse...
Sadly for Apple I would never ever buy a Mac/ MacBook again....
You do realize how esoteric 'dual-booting' an iPad into macOS like this would be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.