Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
You have a bunch of Macs, so I assume the iPad will be used for lighter tasks, not heavy pencil use?

If so, I'd go with the Air.

Still, too many questions you have to answer before deciding. These things are not what they were 5 years ago.
I use the pencil a lot but for writing not for drawing

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I use the pencil a lot but for writing not for drawing
I bought my 12.9 Pro because I wanted a Mac replacement. While that didn't work out (iPadOS was a bit limited for my needs), the primary reason to purchase for me was size.

If I was doing it now, knowing what I know, I'd go with the 11" Pro because since getting my M2 MBA the iPad is hand-held. And 12.9" is BIG in your hand (I primarily use a painter's palette grip because of it). Before that it rested on my MK most of the time.

BUUUUUT, and I can't stress this enough, at least try them all in the store (or for the two-week return period).

It was not an easy decision for me when I got my 12.9 M1 Pro (which I still LOVE, by the way), and now it'd be an even HARDER decision.

Reactions: SpanishAppleNerd

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I was thinking about buying the Air, so I could trade in my old mini 5 before I get nothing for it.

But I didn't get that inspired at the event, and I still have the mini 6 too, that fills the iPad needs for now.
We'll see to the fall, maybe. I don't need it at the moment.
I am having too much fun with my MBA M3 now.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Under the 13” spec they state: “Measured diagonally as a rectangle, the 13‑inch iPad Air is 12.9 inches. Actual viewable area is less.”

So not 13” then!
It’s more that they advertise the iPad 10th generation as 10.9 but the new Air as 11 when actually they have the exact same screen size

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
What were your personal issues with it?

The LCD was poorly laminated under the glass and had a wave to it top and bottom, went to stores to find other Air’s were like that but not MacBook’s for example so likely using a cheap supplier. Also has a slight book spine effect on the left edge. The casing felt very flimsy and thin, something widely reported at launch. Glass is also too thin you get screen ripples when sometimes holding the back in corners. It bows inwards very slightly when it gets hot. Volume down button was slightly loose etc. Honestly felt like a tablet worth half has much and it’s expensive in the UK compared to the US.

ThatBassoonist

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
I've been using my 10.5" Pro for nearly 7 years and been waiting for a cheaper large screen iPad that whole time. Finally I can get a 13" iPad for reading sheet music without spending over a thousand bucks, plus the processing bump from A10X Fusion to M2 will be nice for my other everyday uses.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
Nice update! It's almost perfect, I say almost because it unfortunately still has a 60hz display.

My 2018 iPad Pro is still going strong so maybe if the next iPad Air has ProMotion I'll upgrade to that model.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Glad to see that the base storage has increased. Would have liked to see brighter colour options

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
iPad Air is $549. Cheapest I can find the iPad Pro on sale is $729. Edit to add, even the refurbished iPad Pro is $619.

Thoughts?
Costco had them on sale last week for 650, try looking at bestbuy and their open items, you can still get Apple care on them. Target had them on sale, member here where selling not too long ago. If you search you can find a good deal.

Remember you get a better screen, pro motion, Face ID, more speakers, two cameras lidar etc. For some those extras might no be worth it, for others they are must have like Face ID.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Costco had them on sale last week for 650, try looking at bestbuy and their open items, you can still get Apple care on them. Target had them on sale, member here where selling not too long ago. If you search you can find a good deal.

Remember you get a better screen, pro motion, Face ID, more speakers, two cameras lidar etc. For some those extras might no be worth it, for others they are must have like Face ID.

The commenter originally said you can get the last generation pro cheaper. That would be good, but even if you bargain hunt you're still paying at least $100 more it seems.

domdidom

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2022
Ditto. I don't plan on doing anything pro with it, but the 4th generation was a long time ago. I'll view mainly tv shows and movies, but I'm leaning towards the new Pro 11 just for the image quality and lightness of it.

I'll also wait to see how they compare to each other in an Apple store.
Are they already on display in all Apple Stores?

Vetiver1

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
Just ordered the new 11" Air to replace my wife's 8th gen iPad. Got $140 trade in for it and was able to stretch the payments out 12 months 0% APR on my Apple Card.

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
Yeah I wi
I bought my 12.9 Pro because I wanted a Mac replacement. While that didn't work out (iPadOS was a bit limited for my needs), the primary reason to purchase for me was size.

If I was doing it now, knowing what I know, I'd go with the 11" Pro because since getting my M2 MBA the iPad is hand-held. And 12.9" is BIG in your hand (I primarily use a painter's palette grip because of it). Before that it rested on my MK most of the time.

BUUUUUT, and I can't stress this enough, at least try them all in the store (or for the two-week return period).

It was not an easy decision for me when I got my 12.9 M1 Pro (which I still LOVE, by the way), and now it'd be an even HARDER decision.
yeah I will go to my closest authorized reseller and check them all out. Now I have even started pondering the 13 Pro lol

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Landscape camera and double the base storage. Nothing worth upgrading from a 5th gen iPad Air obviously, but most people hang onto iPads for years so it’s a nice upgrade for anyone coming from an iPad that’s a few years old.

Edit: also a 13” option without having to go for a more expensive iPad Pro
Agreed. This seem like a good upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.