Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
America creates, the EU regulates. Sorry, America. I say this as a Brit who is happy to be out of the EU. This is an institution that, rightly, has concerns about global corporations with monopoly practices, but who will damage consumer choice and security by forcing my message product of choice to provide backdoors to competing message products that I do not wish to use but, tacitly, will have a share in.
In reality a Brit that is out of the EU is a misnomer. We are now feeling the reality of the insignificant little country we have been revealed to be.

Scrabbling for crappy trade deals.
Not having our standards taken seriously, (UK CA).
STILL having to abide by EU rules due to the insignificance of our position as we want to sell into their market and go there on holiday but now without having a seat at the table to influence those decisions.

All for what? If Tim Cook defers to the EU there is NO WAY IN h3ll that he'll make a special product just for us. Man we're stupid.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
No, I am talking about the EU as an institution, specifically about the Commission view but also a wide range of EU politicians who lament our exit and are determined to renew relations. Anyway, let's stick to the point. The EU regulates what America creates. But then it regulates in a manner that is not optimal for consumers in the EU or indeed worldwide given the implications that their laws will change the fundamentals of these platforms. So no this isn't just something that affects EU companies or EU consumers. Classic overreach. Almost as if the EU is a kind of monopoly itself...
Two thoughts spring to mind, I wonder if you could help?

1) why are you worried about EU regs, UK folk are no longer bound by their rules?
2) can you name an EU regulation that was not in the best interest of consumers?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Two thoughts spring to mind, I wonder if you could help?

1) why are you worried about EU regs, UK folk are no longer bound by their rules?
2) can you name an EU regulation that was not in the best interest of consumers?
For number 1 they kind of are, at least indirectly.
Regarding trade, what happens in the EU is very likely I'd suggest to happen here. It's unlikely that companies are going to prioritise the UK over the EU.
We are the water, the EU is the hole.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
... and I don’t like how it seems the EU is targeting “big tech”
It is because we are a "tech" site and USA is strong on the computer based techs. Hence it seems that the commission is only targeting US Tech companies. There is plenty US companies that comply with EU rules and there are plenty of European companies that do not comply but we don't see this mentioned here.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
For number 1 they kind of are, at least indirectly.
Regarding trade, what happens in the EU is very likely I'd suggest to happen here. It's unlikely that companies are going to prioritise the UK over the EU.
We are the water, the EU is the hole.
I like your analogy, I’ll steal that if you don’t mind. In international trade there is known to be a gravity model. The nearest biggest countries are the ones with the greatest pull.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I like your analogy, I’ll steal that if you don’t mind. In international trade there is known to be a gravity model. The nearest biggest countries are the ones with the greatest pull.
Why thankyou.
But it's not just an analogy. There is truth in it. We find that some British companies are making sure their goods conform to EU standards, some have even foregone the UKCA crap and decided to sell directly into Europe.
I know that if I was in manufacturing, being geographically in the middle of the EU block, I'd very strongly consider having my goods made to EU standards first, UKCA second.
That's what Brexiteers don't understand.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I think you misunderstood the article

"... install third-party app stores and sideload apps, as well as give developers the ability to promote their offers outside the ‌‌‌App Store‌‌‌ and use third-party payment systems" within the app itself.

This is what the EU seeks to change.
"as well as give developers the ability to promote their offers outside the ‌‌‌App Store"

I didn't misunderstand anything. That bolded quote is specific to anti-steering, which is a standard practice in the retail industry. Example: Amazon does not allow 3rd party sellers to provide links to lower pricing outside Amazon OR to include information about lower pricing outside Amazon.

I'm saying it's ludicrous for the EU to try and claim that an iPhone user needs links/information about lower pricing within the App Store when smartphones allow access to the internet/social media/email/texts/push notifications etc. Users have easy access to "shopping around" for better prices elsewhere on their device. Apple in no way prevents them from "shopping around" by having an anti-steering policy on the App Store. Similar to Amazon, all it does is prevent the links/information from appearing inside the store itself. It's not a barrier to getting a lower price elsewhere. That has already been proven by large consumer oriented apps like Netflix, Spotify and Kindle easily moving payments outside of the App Store without needing links/information about it inside the App Store.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The EU wants to legislate Apple hardware as the defacto standard phone in the region. They’re meeting to figure out exactly how many zeros will be added to Apple’s bottom line. :)

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Wait are you saying Bobby Kennedy was a flat earther?
I mean his son. That crazy conspiracy theorist.
I think it’s more likely to have a productive discussion with her than it would be some of these grandstanding US politicians. It also appears she’s on her way out of power. She’s been doing this for ten years this year.

And I think it’s more likely for Apple to come to an agreement than some others listed. Apple already (say they) believe privacy is a fundamental human right, same thing the EU says.
If she is on her way out, she might want to exit with a big bang. And who knows who her successor will be.

It would really be a scandal if Apple got a special deal. American companies will have to learn that in the EU the consumer comes first.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Actually it does, if you live in the EU. If you don’t agree, go vote in June.

Voting is just a mirage to distract you from what is really going on! It is all a system of control just like in "The Matrix"! The EUs Absolute Power! Corrupts Absolutely!

• Haha
Reactions: Lyrics23

latweek

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2015
Anti - trust? There's an app for that. Apple's needless app junk has disfigured the tech landscape with its megalomaniac legions of zealots and zombie fanboys mainlining Apple talking points. Nobody needed an app until "App" le told them they need one.

latweek

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2015
Voting is just a mirage to distract you from what is really going on! It is all a system of control just like in "The Matrix"! The EUs Absolute Power! Corrupts Absolutely!
Muddying water on behalf of your corporate overlords is so last decade. Find a new conspiracy theory.

Reactions: Lyrics23 and H2SO4

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Warren G and the late great Nate Dogg said it best when they said "Regulatiors! Mount up".

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
No, they decide whats best for the citizens of the EU. Tough if you don't like that.
Good luck on that AI regulation decision the EU just made! I am not sure that is what is best for you! The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.