Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
End of the day the continued deafening silence from Apple on this issue is starting to amount to either involuntary gagging, or voluntary contempt. Take your pick.
I think lack of mainstream media coverage is probably a factor. Outside of tech news sites it doesn't seem to have had much coverage, and because of this Apple probably doesn't feel compelled to rush to comment on it.

Reactions: Morod

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I think lack of mainstream media coverage is probably a factor. Outside of tech news sites it doesn't seem to have had much coverage, and because of this Apple probably doesn't feel compelled to rush to comment on it.

Don't disagree but in my estimation that falls under the contempt category. For all anyone knows at this stage, the affected users actually are targets of some kind of breach or attempted breach. For a company that exalts itself onto a pedestal as the exemplar of privacy and security it's little short of astonishing that they don't feel compelled to issue a statement of acknowledgment at the very least.

Reactions: justiny and ozaz

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Still waiting for the admin's to update their first post to say "UPDATED:....", but apparently still nothing from Apple yet.
Don't know why Apple doesn't just essentially say, "Yes, we know about this. We're still investigating. Now stop bothering us about it!" Or something like that. ;)

But just silence. The longer this goes on without comment, the more serious people might think this problem is.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I had this happen to me last week and I feel fortunate I was at least able to easily update the password and then enter it on a few other devices that needed the new password over the next 24 hours... those of you having to update multiple times or worse locked out for days or weeks... that's a horror show. Something big clearly happened over at Apple and I can't understand why this isn't getting more coverage.

UPDATE: attempted to log into the Apple ID website today to obtain an app-specific password and BOOM... they locked my Apple ID account again pending ANOTHER Apple ID password change. details in post #439 below.

Last edited:

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Still waiting for the admin's to update their first post to say "UPDATED:....", but apparently still nothing from Apple yet.
Don't know why Apple doesn't just essentially say, "Yes, we know about this. We're still investigating. Now stop bothering us about it!" Or something like that. ;)

But just silence. The longer this goes on without comment, the more serious people might think this problem is.
I almost thought this happened to me again last night. My phone asked me in the Settings to verify my phone passcode to continue using iCloud.

• Wow
Reactions: brgjoe and katbel

DaveOJr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2023
I almost thought this happened to me again last night. My phone asked me in the Settings to verify my phone passcode to continue using iCloud.
I just got a popup this morning on my PC outlook client that asked for the iCloud password, that I changed already, in order to send and email. I copied and pasted in again and the popup immediately came back. I just shut the program down. I’ve literally had it with Apple!

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
I just got a popup this morning on my PC outlook client that asked for the iCloud password, that I changed already, in order to send and email. I copied and pasted in again and the popup immediately came back. I just shut the program down. I’ve literally had it with Apple!
Been a while since I used Outlook with iCloud email but I think that might be because you need an app specific password. They would have all been deleted in the password reset. Not sure at this point if they work or not now; seeing mixed reviews. I did not recreate any of mine yet.

Reactions: Tagbert

DaveOJr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2023
Been a while since I used Outlook with iCloud email but I think that might be because you need an app specific password. They would have all been deleted in the password reset. Not sure at this point if they work or not now; seeing mixed reviews. I did not recreate any of mine yet.
I had already entered the app created password yesterday. My outlook worked fine last night. This was new earlier today.

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
I had already entered the app created password yesterday. My outlook worked fine last night. This was new earlier today.
Right, so then app specific passwords might not be working correctly. When you said "the iCloud password" I thought you meant your account password.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Oh crap, so I like everyone else in this thread got the required change your Apple ID password thing last week (Friday?) but I was able to do so and besides having to enter the new password in my AppleTV boxes and generate new app-specific passwords (all app-specific passwords are deleted when changing you Apple ID password) for stuff like Fantastical I was back up and running fairly quickly. I've seen the posts here since with people having to reset their password multiple times or being locked out for days (up to 12!) from their account but hadn't had an issue. Well my wife mentioned today that on our kitchen iMac Fantastical wasn't updating. No surprise, I forgot to enter the new app specific password in Fantastical on that specific computer last week... so I went to the Apple ID site on Safari to look it up again... bam... locked out and need to reset the Apple ID password... again. I did so and I'm up and running again and had to again create an app specific password which now I successfully entered on all computers and it's ok... for now. WHAT IS GOING ON APPLE. I've had this email ID for over 20+ years with Apple and the password is a 15+ character, totally random string generated by 1Password... it isn't like it is an unsafe password. It is also ONLY used on apple.com nowhere else so it isn't part of any known leaks posted to the dark web (1Password Watchtower alerts to that.) Something horrible is happening with a life critical part of the Apple experience and I feel like Macrumors, Apple and others have just ceased reporting on this.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Oh crap, so I like everyone else in this thread got the required change your Apple ID password thing last week (Friday?) but ..... so I went to the Apple ID site on Safari to look it up again... bam... locked out and need to reset the Apple ID password... again. I did so and I'm up and running again and had to again create an app specific password which now I successfully entered on all computers and it's ok... for now. WHAT IS GOING ON APPLE. I've had this email ID for over 20+ years with Apple and the password is a 15+ character, totally random string generated by 1Password... it isn't like it is an unsafe password. It is also ONLY used on apple.com nowhere else so it isn't part of any known leaks posted to the dark web (1Password Watchtower alerts to that.) Something horrible is happening with a life critical part of the Apple experience and I feel like Macrumors, Apple and others have just ceased reporting on this.
Definitely @ Apple, they have serious issues, but it's not MacRumors/Others websites fault if Apple doesn't answer them back. It's just APPLE that needs to explain to us why this mess is happening
I would suggest to give Apple a feedback for what is going on for iCloud and complaining about their silence

shannongob

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Not sure how successful I’ll be but I contacted the Apple Privacy team via https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/contact/. Just simply stating I am concerned my account was compromised given the circumstances in which I was prompted to change my password and that given the lack of communication from Apple I’d like to know more and if any information related to account/data/keys were compromised. I also stated failing a response I’ll go to the privacy regulator here in Australia. Haven’t heard anything yet but it’s only been a couple of days.

Update: Interestingly enough Apple have denied my request for a copy of my data via the Apple Privacy Portal.

Last edited:

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I'm getting very nervous lately. At least once a day, my iPhone or my Mac asks me to sign in with my Apple ID again to continue using iCloud. I haven't needed to reset my password again, but it's making me paranoid. On my parents' iPhones, iCloud backup randomly got turned off. I had to turn it back on for both their phones. This is the buggiest I've ever seen Apple's cloud services.

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
So is this happening from logging into Apple ID via a web browser? I have only just booted up my MacBook Pro and everything is normal for me.

Reactions: Huwpne

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
There are obviously issues for some; but the vast majority of users are fine

We don't know if the "vast majority" of users are fine because:

A) Apple hasn't officially acknowledged how many users were affected or explained what this is.

B) Users not currently affected by this issue could absolutely be affected at a later date, possibly with an even worse outcome, if what happened is subsequently determined to be a hostile act.

I'm a huge Apple sheep and even I can't make excuses for this. Almost a week later and nothing? Unacceptable.

Huwpne

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
We don't know if the "vast majority" of users are fine because:

A) Apple hasn't officially acknowledged how many users were affected or explained what this is.

B) Users not currently affected by this issue could absolutely be affected at a later date, possibly with an even worse outcome, if what happened is subsequently determined to be a hostile act.

I'm a huge Apple sheep and even I can't make excuses for this. Almost a week later and nothing? Unacceptable.
Obviously the majority haven't been affected or the media would be over it like a rash. It's only mentioned in places like this; dedicated apple forums.

We've 10+ devices with numerous accounts and nothing at all (some of those accounts are original .me)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Almost a week later and nothing? Unacceptable.

Speaking only for myself I've reached the conclusion that Apple likely knows the cause is so egregious that coming clean will result in more damage to its bottom line than that caused by potentially losing the trust or even all future business of every customer affected.

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
Oh crap, so I like everyone else in this thread got the required change your Apple ID password thing last week (Friday?) but I was able to do so and besides having to enter the new password in my AppleTV boxes and generate new app-specific passwords (all app-specific passwords are deleted when changing you Apple ID password) for stuff like Fantastical I was back up and running fairly quickly. I've seen the posts here since with people having to reset their password multiple times or being locked out for days (up to 12!) from their account but hadn't had an issue. Well my wife mentioned today that on our kitchen iMac Fantastical wasn't updating. No surprise, I forgot to enter the new app specific password in Fantastical on that specific computer last week... so I went to the Apple ID site on Safari to look it up again... bam... locked out and need to reset the Apple ID password... again. I did so and I'm up and running again and had to again create an app specific password which now I successfully entered on all computers and it's ok... for now. WHAT IS GOING ON APPLE. I've had this email ID for over 20+ years with Apple and the password is a 15+ character, totally random string generated by 1Password... it isn't like it is an unsafe password. It is also ONLY used on apple.com nowhere else so it isn't part of any known leaks posted to the dark web (1Password Watchtower alerts to that.) Something horrible is happening with a life critical part of the Apple experience and I feel like Macrumors, Apple and others have just ceased reporting on this.

So is this happening from logging into Apple ID via a web browser? I have only just booted up my MacBook Pro and everything is normal for me.
I wasn't doing anything. The family was watching Apple TV. Popped simultaneously on my TV and my iPhone, probably all my other devices as well.

I'm terrified of logging into anything to do with my account, though, for fear of setting it off again. I've got a huge Apple TV library I do not want to lose.

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
I wasn't doing anything. The family was watching Apple TV. Popped simultaneously on my TV and my iPhone, probably all my other devices as well.

I'm terrified of logging into anything to do with my account, though, for fear of setting it off again. I've got a huge Apple TV library I do not want to lose.
I have only logged into the mail app and all is well. I have not tried anything else, I was hoping to hear from Apple.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

skullnbones

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
It happened to me yesterday. I got my phone working by changing the password and turning off that stupid stolen devices feature (because I was at work, 2.3km from home and the iPhone got into a fizz about that). But today it happened to my iPod Touch, which is not in a loop asking for my password over and over again. I have a .me email address but I doubt that is the reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.