Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Most stores sell products they make and competitive versions of other products. At different prices. Store brand usually is cheaper too.
Do you think stores actually make their own competing products? Not generally. They're made by the same kinds and sometimes even the same exact manufacturers of the products they "compete" with, so independent manufacturers are still getting paid. Kirkland brand diapers are just Huggies. Kirkland isn't opening a diaper factory to compete with Huggies. They're offering the same exact product at a better price and Huggies is still getting paid.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The iPhone is a drop in the bucket compared to the remainder of the phone manufacturers. That’s a more apt comparison to the auto industry.

You need to stop focusing on hardware when the issue is largely related to operating systems (software). iOS and Android are the only two major players in the mobile OS market with iOS having the largest share in the U.S.

However, even if we look at the hardware (phone manufacturer) side of things, Apple is hardly a "drop in the bucket" as you claim. Apple dominates the U.S. market with iPhone share being well above the next largest (Samsung).

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
As someone who has literally spent about $25,000 on iTunes content, how the hell am I trapped? I can move to Android any day of the week. I’m more trapped by my ISP where I need to sell my HOUSE and move to get an alternative to Spectrum.
You can't get fiber, cellular, or satellite internet?

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Do you think stores actually make their own competing products? Not generally. They're made by the same kinds and sometimes even the same exact manufacturers of the products they "compete" with, so independent manufacturers are still getting paid.
This is definitely true. And you will see "compare to product X" on the label too. It is still a different brand and often sold at a lower price than what the actual manufacture (sometimes) would sell the same thing for. They are getting paid a lower price though. More of it is going to the store.
Kirkland brand diapers are just Huggies. Kirkland isn't opening a diaper factory to compete with Huggies. They're offering the same exact product at a better price and Huggies is still getting paid.
Yes, I agree. But, it is a lower priced product that many people don't know "huggies" in this instance is making. So consumers have a choice (albeit somewhat false one) that the store brand is cheaper, and maybe of lesser quality than Huggies name brand. People still prefer to buy one over the other even at the price difference.

In Apple's case. Say their streaming service for Music. Doesn't always contain the same exact stuff say Spotify has or Tidal has. They all sell at different price points. Apple could be cheaper by a little to wide margin. You can argue they don't pay for the AppStore (I would be to differer but, lets just say they don't for sake of argument). None of this has stopped Spotify from being the number one music streaming service out there. Nor has Apple purchased Spotify.

Same for say Netflix and Apple TV streaming service. Apple is WAY cheaper compared to Netflix and arguably doesn't pay for the AppStore like Netflix could be (they don't as far as I know). Netflix is the larger company for the same service.

They can compete even on the same platform, and Apple while being the cheaper option. Still isn't the bigger player.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
You need to stop focusing on hardware when the issue is largely related to operating systems (software). iOS and Android are the only two major players in the mobile OS market with iOS having the largest share in the U.S.

However, even if we look at the hardware (phone manufacturer) side of things, Apple is hardly a "drop in the bucket" as you claim. Apple dominates the U.S. market with iPhone share being well above the next largest (Samsung).
And once you step outside the US, the tables turn dramatically. Chalk it up to people's income, and preferences. They have a choice in OS (iOS and Android). They have more choices in physical devices.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
In Apple's case. Say their streaming service for Music. Doesn't always contain the same exact stuff say Spotify has or Tidal has. They all sell at different price points. Apple could be cheaper by a little to wide margin. You can argue they don't pay for the AppStore (I would be to differer but, lets just say they don't for sake of argument). None of this has stopped Spotify from being the number one music streaming service out there. Nor has Apple purchased Spotify.
Also it could be argued that Apple’s music business just evolved with the times. iTunes was around before Spotify was.

Reactions: djphat2000

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Apple is still a drop in the bucket. Less than 50% depending on what you consider to your market which can be global, continental, state, city or municipality. However we’ll find out if operating system choice really plays a part in all of this.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No to fiber and satellite. Cellular will be a worse experience than I have now.
So really you're not trapped and have another option. You've simply chosen the least bad one. You're not necessarily in love with Spectrum, it's just that on the whole, what they offer is better than a wireless provider. It seems that in your view Spectrum could make some improvements to improve your experience as a customer.

Hey you know what, this sounds really similar to the counterargument to the suggestion that iPhone users who want certain changes to the platform should just buy an Android. So I guess it really does seem that purchasing and using the imperfect is often still better than purchasing and using something worse or even nothing at all.

Reactions: gusmula

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Stores do not charge a cut at all. Walmart negotiates and purchase a product for sale in their store. Then they set the price they want to sell the item for. There is no comparison in terms of split.
Wholesale vs consignment. Same difference just different purchasing times. Pre or post.
Do you know what Walmart gets a product for? Could be 50% or more less than MSRP.
The way to look at it is a developer can determine they want to earn $9 per sale. To do this you set the price to $13. You get your $9 and Apple gets their $4 (30%). The 30% is just a business expense that factors into how a developer should price their app. It is no different from factoring in rent, local taxes, employee costs, insurance, etc which are all business expenses.
Exactly. But the over reactions is that the developer wants $13 and is losing $4 to Apple's fee.
Just a different way to look at it (perspective). If a game on the App store was say $49.99 (back when IAP wasn't a thing). And a physical store had the game at the same price. Apple's fee would be less than the store. So a developer would make more on the AppStore than a physical store.

Now that we live in a world where many developers can sell direct via their own infrastructure (web site, payments, etc). They see the 30% cut as too much. When they could do the same for a cost of say half of that or better.

Reactions: tazinlwfl

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Wow pot kettle thing? So it’s okay to repeat trope but not discuss it? If you believe a post doesn’t meet the guidelines of MR debate, please report it.
The question wasn't about following guidelines, it was about motivation and purpose. In any case, you weren't discussing a trope. You were simply calling things tropes that aren't actually tropes.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Crazy how iPhone and the ecosystem was thriving and fostering entire new economies, started out without an App Store at all, and launched with policies that have remained consistent (albeit loosened over the years) including the 30/70 revenue sharing, but NOW it’s a problem because… they were too successful in building up the platform? Now they have to tear it down and cut off a revenue stream that literally funds the development and support of a core, marketable feature of the ecosystem: the App Store? lol insane.
Easiest way for Apple to avoid scrutiny by the DoJ and from other countries is to just spin off the App Store business.

The problem with that is Apple would then complain about the 15% / 30% fee they'd have to pay which is basically them admitting that those fees are high. So I guess an App Store spin off is out of the question.

• Disagree
Reactions: tazinlwfl

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The question wasn't about following guidelines, it was about motivation and purpose. In any case, you weren't discussing a trope. You were simply calling things tropes that aren't actually tropes.
Not sure where you want to be at the end of this conversation. But the last few posts have been off-topic. Youre welcome to post a reply to a post in context with this apparently controversial topic of the ceo of apple meeting with the doj - if you have a comment on that aspect of the discussion.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Not sure where you want to be at the end of this conversation. But the last few posts have been off-topic. Youre welcome to post a reply to a post in context with this apparently controversial topic of the ceo of apple meeting with the doj - if you have a comment on that aspect of the discussion.
As tiring as this trope. :rolleyes:
Yes, like this trope.

I would offer you the same.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Most stores sell products they make and competitive versions of other products. At different prices. Store brand usually is cheaper too.
That is true. And it's also true that a store cannot prevent the maker of a product from selling said product on their own, through their own store, or at another store. This is not the case with Apple.

Try selling your app on another app store or on your own store/website. Not gonna happen since Apple does not allow 3rd party app stores or sideloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.