Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Oh ok, a lot of people need features unavailable on Android, so that rules out Android entirely.
You still aren’t locked in. Android is a better alternative to iPhone in every way imaginable. Cellular is not an alternative to a physical connect when you require speed and consistency.

I can switch to Android today. I can’t switch to Fiber internet without moving.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
:rolleyes:

Antitrust laws are designed to address anticompetitive behavior among dominant companies which have notable power, influence, control, etc. of a market. Apple fits that description. Small companies do not have that kind of power, influence, control, etc. and therefore antitrust regulators aren't going to go after them and wouldn’t want to waste time/resources doing so. Addressing potential anticompetitive behavior from a company with 60% market share can be significantly more important and relevant than addressing behavior from a company with 6% share.
Yes, yes, yes around the mulberry bush go. OJ should have been found guilty and yet….

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
they don't care about no anticompetitive , they want some piece of that apple treasure chest.
Basically it's the same thing, and sooner or later, it's inevitable, like "No empire lasts forever."

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
You’re right. iPhones are popular in the US. And hence why even more I am a firm believer that popularity should not be a criteria in antitrust. If apple did the same thing when they weren’t popular, that’s when they should have been approached by the DOJ.
But key fact popularity is not in the criteria for anti trust.
Significate mark power and influence are among the requirements. Now being popular tends to help get to those requirements but it is not among anything on the list of reasons.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Good thing the Justice Department is wasting time on Apple’s nonexistent monopoly, while doing nothing about the Albertsons merger, which will dramatically increase food prices. Nice priorities there, President Biden.
You mean the merger they are actively blocking? FTC just file suit on Monday to block the Alberstsons and Kroger merger.

Like Apple's those things move slowly as they get a lot of things in a row and you are right both the FTC and Apple would like to avoid the law suit. Coming to an agreement before hand helps or getting info. Same as in the Alberstsons and Krogers. It takes time as everyone would rather avoid the law suit so lots of talking and info gathering before hand.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But key fact popularity is not in the criteria for anti trust.
Significate mark power and influence are among the requirements. Now being popular tends to help get to those requirements but it is not among anything on the list of reasons.
Clearly that google sells their operating system for a buck is not an apple problem. It’s a google problem. But we will see how this shakes out.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

This is guy is nowhere as rich as Apple, but he has his own country. It can be done, and in any case, it was sarcasm.

Eh. Semantics. Seems like a dangerous move. Real sovereign nations could just declare war and send like five dudes to wipe out your country. Especially if you only did it to avoid serious crimes in a real country.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You still aren’t locked in. Android is a better alternative to iPhone in every way imaginable. Cellular is not an alternative to a physical connect when you require speed and consistency.

I can switch to Android today. I can’t switch to Fiber internet without moving.
You aren't locked in either. You simply have needs that make Spectrum the better, though not ideal choice for you over wireless.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
What do you think this would accomplish? It is not simply a matter of where a company is incorporated. To do business in the United States, you have to follow the laws of the United States. Moving or having their own sovereign nation would have no benefit.
While it was sarcasm, I think fans would go there and buy it or get things shipped through a third-party or something. Isn't China selling stuff to US people even though they are banned from doing so?
Eh. Semantics. Seems like a dangerous move. Real sovereign nations could just declare war and send like five dudes to wipe out your country. Especially if you only did it to avoid serious crimes in a real country.
Yeah! Just saying that it is child's play for Apple to get its own country, but then there might be other issues.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This is why I think iOS 18.0 may not get a major UI overhaul or even AI features. iOS 18 may allow the third-party functionality that the EU demands, but in a better-integrated fashion.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I can’t switch to Fiber internet without moving.
Nothing is stopping you from moving. So you can switch.
I can switch to Android today
Not everyone is as rich as you to afford $25,000 of iTunes content.
For many people switching to Android today - or vice versa - is considerable expense, a barrier to switch.

Your very own financial comfort zone just includes a spontaneous purchases of new phones (so as not to feel trapped within Apple's ecosystem) - but not moving house.

Also, there's more than just financial expense being a barrier to switch when changing computing platforms.

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Nothing is stopping you from moving. So you can switch.

Not everyone is as rich as you to afford $25,000 of iTunes content.
For many people switching to Android today - or vice versa - is considerable expense, a barrier to switch.

Your very own financial comfort zone just includes a spontaneous purchases of new phones (so as not to feel trapped within Apple's ecosystem) - but not moving house.

Also, there's more than just financial expense being a barrier to switch when changing computing platforms.
It doesn’t cost $25,000 to move to Android for goodness sake. You know how much it costs to move? Way more than sub $500-$1000 to just get an Android phone.

If you all are arguing that I am NOT locked in to spectrum because I need to go through a typical 2 month process of selling my house, finding a good one in an area with better internet (I need to move quite far to get an alternative to Spectrum), pack my entire house and furniture, buy the new house, get some assistance moving my big furniture and appliances, and getting everything set up in a new house. Then nobody is locked in to anything.

So no you aren’t locked in to an iPhone.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It doesn’t cost $25,000 to move to Android for goodness sake. You know how much it costs to move? Way more than sub $500-$1000 to just get an Android phone.

If you all are arguing that I am NOT locked in to spectrum because I need to go through a typical 2 month process of selling my house, finding a good one in an area with better internet (I need to move quite far to get an alternative to Spectrum), pack my entire house and furniture, buy the new house, get some assistance moving my big furniture and appliances, and getting everything set up in a new house. Then nobody is locked in to anything.

So no you aren’t locked in to an iPhone.
No, you are blatantly choosing to ignore that you have a wireless alternative to Spectrum. I understand why, because doing so deflates your entire argument of “I have to use Spectrum or move.” We get it, you think the wireless alternative sucks. Guess what, some folks think the Android alternative sucks. Telling folks to buy an Android as an alternative doesn’t help folks any more than people telling you to use wireless as an alternative helps you. It doesn’t do any good to switch to something worse now does it?

Reactions: AppliedMicro

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
No, you are blatantly choosing to ignore that you have a wireless alternative to Spectrum. I understand why, because doing so deflates your entire argument of “I have to use Spectrum or move.” We get it, you think the wireless alternative sucks. Guess what, some folks think the Android alternative sucks. Telling folks to buy an Android as an alternative doesn’t help folks any more than people telling you to use wireless as an alternative helps you. It doesn’t do any good to switch to something worse now does it?
I have a requirement of gigabit speeds for my home office. Cellular is NOT an option.

The whole point is about being locked in. You are NOT locked in to iPhone. I am locked in to Spectrum. The best cellular plan I can get is just 200Mbps.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I have a requirement of gigabit speeds for my home office
And I may have {insert random requirement} of iOS for my job or family.

It doesn’t cost 25,000 to move to Android - but it’s not cheap either. Point being: There are barriers to switch. Not unsurnountable ones - but far higher than the decision which supermarket or grocery store tomshop in (that’s so quoted as a comparison).

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And I may have {insert random requirement} of iOS for my job or family.

It doesn’t cost 25,000 to move to Android - but it’s not cheap either. Point being: There are barriers to switch. Not unsurnountable ones - but far higher than the decision which supermarket or grocery store tomshop in (that’s so quoted as a comparison).
It’s far cheaper to move to Android than physically move houses. If you tell me I’m not locked in to Spectrum, you clearly aren’t locked in to iPhone.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have a requirement of gigabit speeds for my home office. Cellular is NOT an option.

The whole point is about being locked in. You are NOT locked in to iPhone. I am locked in to Spectrum. The best cellular plan I can get is just 200Mbps.
And like I said before, other people will have their own requirements potentially rendering Android NOT an option.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
It’s far cheaper to move to Android than physically move houses. If you tell me I’m not locked in to Spectrum, you clearly aren’t locked in to iPhone.
while cheaper the fact remains move from Apple to Android is quickly becoming a very high cost to do it with massive barriers.
Hence why if the argument of you can buy android if you want side loading use Android it is the same as saying dont like your city, state country etc move. It ignores the massive barriers and road block.
It makes the cost of change very high. I personally can not really switch to Android as I make my living off being an iOS developer and have been for over 10 years. The lock in Apple has makes it very hard to change and there are changes to allow it to be less forceful. For me a big one is allowing side loading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.