Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Disadvantages of limiting NFC access on Apple devices:
Payment options are limited and Apple Pay, which relies on NFC, has become the dominant contactless payment method on iPhones. This excludes users who prefer alternative mobile wallets like Google Pay or Samsung Pay, which may offer wider compatibility or different features.
By controlling NFC access, Apple can limit the development of other NFC-based applications and functionalities beyond Apple Pay. This could stifle innovation in areas like peer-to-peer payments, data sharing, and other creative uses of NFC technology.
Users become locked into the Apple ecosystem for NFC-based features, limiting their flexibility and potentially leading to higher costs compared to open platforms.
Apple's restrictions might hinder the overall adoption of contactless payments outside of the Apple ecosystem, as developers have less incentive to create NFC-based applications for non-Apple devices.
By controlling access to NFC, Apple has a stronger hold on the mobile payment market, potentially stifling competition and innovation from other companies.
Apple's approach to NFC might contribute to a fragmented landscape of mobile payment solutions, hindering interoperability and user convenience.
And what is the benefit of using Google Pay or Samsung Pay on my iPhone? Today I'm using the same cards in Apple Pay on my iPhone and in Google Pay on my Android based phone. Tokens need to generated and cards activated within each ecosystem on each device anyway. So what is the benefit?

Last edited:

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
[Also, Wallet App offers an express mode for transit passes. Will the banking apps be allowed to control that express mode for payments if the consumer wants that?]

I don't see why that would be difficult to implement, perhaps it may require a prompt and extra click from the user though. The Apple Wallet is a pretty convenient tool, any serious developer would do well in conforming to Apple's rules to have a place in it.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
how bout them regulations, apple?

Curious why you think this is a good thing? Are their bank apps that you use that provide you a better experience than Apple Pay? Do you trust your bank more with your data? Would you rather have had CurrentC than ApplePay (had this been the rule when CurrentC was attempting to compete, it would have been more likely that they would have done this and it would be even less likely they would have folded).

keep em coming, EU

You like the EU basically only regulating companies not in their area? The Digital Markets act directly applies to almost no companies based in the EU, but mostly to U.S. based companies. Do you think there is a possibility that the heavy regulation in the EU is why they have no national champions that are remotely competitive with Apple, Facebook, Google, etc.?

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Why doesn't the dumb EU go after Spotify for having a monopoly? Oh that's right, the EU only goes after American companies.
The European Union is currently in the process of forcing music streaming platforms (Spotify included) to pay recording artists more.

But sure. Let’s pretend EU regulators never regulate EU companies.

Last edited:

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Disadvantages of limiting NFC access on Apple devices:
Payment options are limited and Apple Pay, which relies on NFC, has become the dominant contactless payment method on iPhones. This excludes users who prefer alternative mobile wallets like Google Pay or Samsung Pay, which may offer wider compatibility or different features.

SamsungPay offers wider compatibility because the have (or had) hardware that could emulate a mag stripe. It would not be able to do this on iPhones. On the other hand wide adoption of ApplePay by Apple’s users is what drove Tap to pay acceptance in the U.S., and it is still the dominant mobile payments solution in this country. In 2020, ApplePay accounted for 92% of mobile pay users with Samsung pay at 5%, and Google Wallet at 3%. These numbers have stayed consistent (I cannot find a publicly accessible link to quote, but there are several paid ones that are more recent).

What you also neglect to mention is that if Apple had been forced to open up NFC, large banks would likely have chosen not to support it, and it would have been less widely adopted, requiring multiple apps to use tap to pay and ensuring no privacy focused option would exist.

By controlling NFC access, Apple can limit the development of other NFC-based applications and functionalities beyond Apple Pay. This could stifle innovation in areas like peer-to-peer payments, data sharing, and other creative uses of NFC technology.

This rule may or may not provide access to anyone not doing payments. Until its rules are finalized we will not know. However, I am perfectly happy to have this limited for privacy and security reasons.

Users become locked into the Apple ecosystem for NFC-based features, limiting their flexibility and potentially leading to higher costs compared to open platforms.

You again miss what the real dominant players would have been, and that is the big banks. No one would have ever forced them to offer their cards in Apple Pay (for example look at any number of cobranded cards issued by CapitalOne, Comenity andSynchrony and Synchrony, among others).

Apple's restrictions might hinder the overall adoption of contactless payments outside of the Apple ecosystem, as developers have less incentive to create NFC-based applications for non-Apple devices.

Why? Because only Apple users tend to use this tech at all? Might that be because they trust Apple with their data and do not trust others? In most of the world, Apple has substantially under 50% of the market. Why is Apple’s 35% of the market needed for such a service to succeed in France?

By controlling access to NFC, Apple has a stronger hold on the mobile payment market, potentially stifling competition and innovation from other companies.

Apple has a 92% share of the mobile payment market in the U.S. despite having under 60% of the phone market in the U.S., something that was true even when their market share was smaller earlier in the roll out. Apple did not stifle competition, it created the market. Even today, a very small percentage of Android users in the U.S. use Google pay, compared to a very large percentage of Apple users.

Apple's approach to NFC might contribute to a fragmented landscape of mobile payment solutions, hindering interoperability and user convenience.

You seem to want it both ways: NFC being closed on Apple devices results in a fragmented landscape, but opening NFC will yield competition but not fragmentation. Got it.

Reactions: farmboy and I7guy

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
They could modify settings to allow you to chose teh default app, and if you want the other you must open the app to use it's NFC.

I just don't see the value of having a 3rd party app when I already have the cards I want in my wallet. A PayPal NFC app to let me use my PayPal balance? Or my Venmo balance? Maybe but not as my primary payment choice.
I don’t either as a user.
when I buy something then doesn’t matter if pay cash, debit card, credit card, wallet, etc.

i can see the benefits for developers and other companies that can avoid the Apple Pay transaction charges etc however unless going to make it cheaper in terms of the price I am paying however pretty sure that companies cannot charge different price depending upon payment method.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
To save another 100 pages of political fallout:

Developers have had this option on Android for an age. Everybody still uses Google Pay. Even Samsung Pay isn’t very widely used. On iOS people will continue to use Apple Pay and it doesn’t make your device less secure.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Not gonna happen. Too much money at stake.

Like when the US demands they turn over user information?
Their choice. If the balance of their interests lies in continuing to operate within the EU, then they have to accept whatever the EU requires.

If EU companies don't turn over whatever the US government demands, then the US government can take whatever US law allows them to take. And in exactly the same way, they can choose not to operate in the US.

Obviously there are potential costs with whatever they decide.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
It makes sense as long as Apple isn't held responsible for any problems with 3rd party apps. . . .
Since 3rd party payment apps have been blocked from accessing the NFC chip up until now, was Apple responsible for any problems with those apps then?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Offered? I thought they were forced to by Germany at least anyway
Well, does that matter? In my travels to Germany outside the big cities maybe, maybe half the places accept a credit card, leave alone NFC capabilities…

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Under the proposed commitments, developers of payment, banking, and digital wallet applications in the European Economic Area (EEA) will be able to integrate their own solutions with the NFC chip on Apple devices. This change means that consumers could have the option to use NFC-enabled apps from other providers, alongside or instead of Apple Pay.
I just don’t get this- why is this good for the consumer? Seems like I buy a device with a payment system that is built in and nifty, and the fact that we all have it encourages credit cards to support it. Now we are gonna have a separate payment system for each card that tracks all our data. Seems cumbersome and worse for the customer.
Blocking other payment apps from using the NFC chip would be as bad as if Apple had blocked apps from using FaceID/TouchID to log into the app, forcing users to enter their user name and password each time.

The NFC chip should be seen as a basic part of the phone and allowing other payment apps to access it would make mobile payments and mobile banking more convenient and secure.

Don't want to use any other mobile payment/banking app besides what Apple has to offer? Great. Don't. No one is forcing you to. But options should be made available to those who do.

I'm guessing the reason Apple has blocked access to the NFC chip is because they're worried their revenue from ApplePay transactions would take a hit.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Blocking other payment apps from using the NFC chip would be as bad as if Apple had blocked apps from using FaceID/TouchID to log into the app, forcing users to enter their user name and password each time.

The NFC chip should be seen as a basic part of the phone and allowing other payment apps to access it would make mobile payments and mobile banking more convenient and secure.

Don't want to use any other mobile payment/banking app besides what Apple has to offer? Great. Don't. No one is forcing you to. But options should be made available to those who do.

I'm guessing the reason Apple has blocked access to the NFC chip is because they're worried their revenue from ApplePay transactions would take a hit.

Again less choice for consumers. A specific bank might want to use their own app instead of Apple Pay. Now it’s less choice for the consumer.

Getting Apple Pay acceptance in the uS was a huge win for apple and for consumers. These “open ‘em up” regulations are a step back, in my opinion..

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
So now I have to download each bank's or credit card’s app and use it if I want to pay with that card? Wonderful, how consumer friendly, what amazing choices I now have. Thank you so much regulators!
Or the bank can just integrate the mobile payment function with their existing banking app that you likely already have.

If someone has a Chase credit card, for example, chances are that person already has the Chase banking app installed. I mean how else is that person going to pay their credit card bill, redeem their credit card points, activate quarterly 5% bonus category offers, and other special offers? Doing all that through a web browser would be such a PITA.

Reactions: Lyrics23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.