Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Why doesn't the dumb EU go after Spotify for having a monopoly? Oh that's right, the EU only goes after American companies.
Spotify's 34% European marketshare is a monopoly? 🤣

spotify.png

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
The EU has already decided security is not relevant to the iPhone experience. iPhone users in the EU will probably be enjoying a future with scams and phishing.
There's already a number of scam apps that have found their way to the iPhone/App Store but I suspect this may make it a bit easier for scammers

Reactions: I7guy

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
The EU has already decided security is not relevant to the iPhone experience. iPhone users in the EU will probably be enjoying a future with scams and phishing.

I knew you would be here old boy, talking your book. :)

Here's to a level playing field.

Reactions: arkitect

Philip_S

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2020
Like when the US demands they turn over user information?
At that point they have to decide which country is more important to them, same as if someone wants a payment processor to process payments for Cuban cigars which is mandatory in Germany and Sweden and illegal in the USA.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Again less choice for consumers. A specific bank might want to use their own app instead of Apple Pay. Now it’s less choice for the consumer.

Getting Apple Pay acceptance in the uS was a huge win for apple and for consumers. These “open ‘em up” regulations are a step back, in my opinion..
Then just go with a different bank? You know, more choices?

But there is a point in that at least in some markets, the option between banks is certainly limited. But that problem is hardly solved by Apple Pay in this situation.

Where I live all of the major banks has Apple Pay already now, and very unlikely they'll roll that back (and if they did you can just swap to another card issuer).

I'd be more worried if I was VISA or Mastercard, as with this (afaik) banks or others can technically skip the actual card bit and develop their own solutions. For instance, we already have a widely adopted mobile payment system here that you today use QR codes to scan to pay, and money is drawn directly from your bank account. The system itself is a collaboration between the banks, so it's not a one-bank solution. Now with this, they could maybe further develop that into a NFC system. Either way, it will give you more options, not less right?

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Another small frog added to the simmering pot of government overreach. The EU absolutely will not stop, ever, until they’ve reduced iOS security to a pile of burning embers. And folk are championing their efforts as if it’s all in the name of the end user. Lol.
I just love the subtext that those of us who see this as a good thing aren't end users.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Very sad news.

This will allow banks in Europe to compete with Apple which I don't want to. I want the banks to loose.

• Sad
Reactions: freedomlinux

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Or the bank can just integrate the mobile payment function with their existing banking app that you likely already have.

If someone has a Chase credit card, for example, chances are that person already has the Chase banking app installed. I mean how else is that person going to pay their credit card bill, redeem their credit card points, activate quarterly 5% bonus category offers, and other special offers? Doing all that through a web browser would be such a PITA.

I don't have an app for every credit card I have in Norway. Everything is handled automatically. The credit bill is payed in my regular bank automatically by electronic invoicing.

My bonus is either subtracted from the bill automatically or I need to use it when I buy something like a plane ticket which does happen via the airliner.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Don't want to use any other mobile payment/banking app besides what Apple has to offer? Great. Don't. No one is forcing you to. But options should be made available to those who do.

The problem is that this make it easier to not offer Apple Pay for banks.

The banks get the freedom to have full access to the iPhone and its ecosystem but no requirement to support Apple Pay.

• Love
Reactions: Alan Wynn

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Then just go with a different bank? You know, more choices?

The problem is when you have different credit card for different kick backs.

I have one credit card which give kick backs when used in super markets and other stores which mainly sell food.
No other credit card in Norway offers this.

If this bank decided to drop Apple Pay, I would have no replacement. I would then have begin using a physical card again.

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
The problem is when you have different credit card for different kick backs.

I have one credit card which give kick backs when used in super markets and other stores which mainly sell food.
No other credit card in Norway offers this.

If this bank decided to drop Apple Pay, I would have no replacement. I would then have begin using a physical card again.
And yet it hasn’t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.