Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
And the main feature of the Pencil version 3 will be to be incompatible with version 2. Pencil 3 compatible devices should not work with version 2 and the other way around. So that at least, we get the chance to buy a new pencil whenever we upgrade the iPad.

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewLou

120FPS

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2022
I think we will see a new Pencil when rest of the iPads get a Landscape camera; the new Pencil will likely support having smaller split charging magnets on either side of the camera instead of the larger centered one on the current iPads.

I would agree, I forgot about centering the camera but it seems essential for the redesign as the way iPads are used is changing.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
I drive an EV and use an Apple Watch for everything... I am not afraid of progression or tech. But I can not get behind virtual drawing. It just lacks. In everything.

• Haha
Reactions: 1284814

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Magnetic tips? So you can launch them off when you apply pressure for a thicker line?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Save your $$. Most of us haven't even figured out what to do with the Apple Pencil 1 & 2.

MOST of us - barely use it.
SOME of us, IMO many of us, would use a stylus that worked on the iPhone. Especially folks with XL hands like mine.

I am one of those with limited usage of the AP2, but that is not because of the AP2, it is because the pencils only work on tablets with their larger displays that already often work fine even with large hands. The smaller size of phones plus the wide variety of apps today scream out for a stylus.

Steve dissing styli for old iPhones was a totally different usage environment. So please do not waste bandwidth quoting Steve Jobs referencing now-ancient devices.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SOME of us, IMO many of us, would use a stylus that worked on the iPhone. Especially folks with XL hands like mine.

I am one of those with limited usage of the AP2, but that is not because of the AP2, it is because the pencils only work on tablets with their larger displays that already often work fine even with large hands. The smaller size of phones plus the wide variety of apps today scream out for a stylus.

Steve dissing styli for old iPhones was a totally different usage environment. So please do not waste bandwidth quoting Steve Jobs referencing now-ancient devices.
Aren't there a bunch of third party stylus and pencils you can use with your iPhone?

chiltonwebb3

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Apple Pencil for iPhone is the only reason I'd upgrade my iPhone now. And I would pay 2x for an iPhone that actually let me use the Pencil. Ridiculous that this isn't a thing by now.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz and mrr

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Save your $$. Most of us haven't even figured out what to do with the Apple Pencil 1 & 2.

MOST of us - barely use it.
You could say the same about real paint brushes too. Or for that matter about high-end video cameras. Most people only look at artwork and watch movies. VERY few actually create that stuff.

But the Apple Pencil is also used for note-taking and marking up text. Yes I know, very few people do that too.

Reactions: Born Again

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
This kind of reminds me of the Surface Pen tips. If it’s anything like that in practice, then I’m all for it.
I like how you can get different kinds of hardness in the tips that drastically change how it feels to write with the Surface Pen.

I know you can get silicone tips and the like for the Apple Pencil, but despite having tried a variety, I haven’t found any that do what those Surface Pen tips do.

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
I drive an EV and use an Apple Watch for everything... I am not afraid of progression or tech. But I can not get behind virtual drawing. It just lacks. In everything.
Lacking what?
I am traditional and digital artist.
the only difference is I can walk with my entire studio tool sets under my arm with the iPad.
oil painting and sketching with charcoal is a space consuming, and very messy.
that’s not even taking into account breathing paint cleaner, and disposing of such paint cleaner properly.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
The Pencil is taller than the 15 Pro Max, and the side buttons would stop it from sitting flush against the phone. Except for using a cable like everyone hates with the iPad 10, how would you pair and charge it?
Make a smaller pencil. Carve out an indent on the pen. Charge with USB-C. No biggie. I’ll take one no matter how they do it. Apple could make a ton selling the Pencil as an option.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
There’s nothing “virtual” about digital illustration.

The iPad doesn’t draw for you. The Apple Pencil doesn’t draw for you. The apps don’t draw for you. You still need to possess the ability to draw…the iPad is just a tool, like a brush or a piece of chalk.

Gonna be honest with you, comments like that (“virtual drawing”) hurt more than they help. What about it is fake? Other than never running out of ink, paint, or paper, that’s really the only benefit of working digitally. That’s why I chose to move to digital illustration, I got tired of spilling ink all over my comic pages. Now I just gotta make sure I’m drawing on the correct layer!

Drawing digitally might not be your thing, but there are PLENTY of skilled artists who use digital tools just as well as they use “traditional” ones.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The Pencil is taller than the 15 Pro Max, and the side buttons would stop it from sitting flush against the phone. Except for using a cable like everyone hates with the iPad 10, how would you pair and charge it?
Many solutions exist; a phone is not carried around the same way a much larger tablet is. E.g. I have a separate third-party charging case for my AP2. Or a stylus could easily be notched where buttons would impede. Or an iPhone case could charge/hold a stylus. Or a stylus could be tiny and insert into the iPhone. Or an iPhone case could be as thick as the camera bump, with a lid that fit a longitudinally folding stylus inside. Or...

The main thing is to think open-minded, with the design engineering not constrained by what an AP was yesterday.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.