Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Aren't there a bunch of third party stylus and pencils you can use with your iPhone?
Good point. I own a couple of them, and they sucked for iPad usage; especially compared to the Apple Pencil 2. I will have to dig them out and try them on the 15 PM phone, but past experience on the iPhone 13 Pro was that they were a fail.

But this new iPhone 15 PM is different, and a lot better than any previous iPhone, so I need to experiment with styli on the new phone.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good point. I own a couple of them, and they sucked for iPad usage; especially compared to the Apple Pencil 2. I will have to dig them out and try them on the 15 PM phone, but past experience on the iPhone 13 Pro was that they were a fail.

But this new iPhone 15 PM is different, and a lot better than any previous iPhone, so I need to experiment with styli on the new phone.
It's possible that while they sucked for extensive drawing/painting on the iPad, they may be fine for regular note taking on the iPhone.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
It may seem obvious, but if you aren’t into drawing, painting, or writing you probably shouldn’t have blindly purchased an Apple Pencil.
I write a lot but I'm not a big fan the glossy writing feel on the Pencil 1 and 2. I want a tip that has enough friction that better replicates writing/drawing on paper.

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
I bought cheap (<$20) soft silicon tips for my Apple Pencil a couple of years ago and it is just way more comfortable to use. Apple is on the right (write!) track by offering different pencil tips.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
I know most of the focus with Apple pencil is artists or people who prefer writing over typing, but it’s also amazing for math/science. From equations, to diagrams, to flow charts, there’s a lot that is either difficult or impossible to do on a keyboard. I typically prefer using a keyboard for taking notes, but when it comes to working out complex equations or drawing up a diagram, it’s Apple Pencil all the way.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why change the tip? Isn't the mapping of pixels on the screen to the pin's location controlled by software? We can make the brush fat or thin already with no need to change the tip.

OK, changing tips might affect the "feel" of the pen but why would it affect the function?

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I know most of the focus with Apple pencil is artists or people who prefer writing over typing, but it’s also amazing for math/science. From equations, to diagrams, to flow charts, there’s a lot that is either difficult or impossible to do on a keyboard.

Equations? Impossible on a keyboard? Sorry, but that's not true at all. We've had typesetting and equation inputting systems for decades. The more complicated the equation, the harder it is to format it. But definitely not "impossible with a keyboard."

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
Equations? Impossible on a keyboard? Sorry, but that's not true at all. We've had typesetting and equation inputting systems for decades. The more complicated the equation, the harder it is to format it. But definitely not "impossible with a keyboard."
I clearly said “difficult or impossible.” Equations obviously fall into the difficult category. And only a lunatic would actually try to work out an equation using a keyboard. (Simply inputting an equation into matlab or maple isn’t working it out.)

Maybe read more carefully before you reply next time, lol.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
Bad idea. This should be done in software.
I don’t think you’d need the tip to change the input so much as to change the tactile feel. You could use a brush either way, but a brush tip would feel more natural. At least, that’s the idea it seems.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Wonder whether the interchangeable magnetic tips will be available in the box or whether they will be sold separately. Looking forward to seeing it along with the new iPad Pro

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
If Apple is going big screen next generation iPhones, it would make sense if Apple would consider the Pen for it, just look at the brilliant success the S-Pen is on the Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I clearly said “difficult or impossible.” Equations obviously fall into the difficult category. And only a lunatic would actually try to work out an equation using a keyboard. (Simply inputting an equation into matlab or maple isn’t working it out.)

Most equations are actually manageable to use the Math editing system with. Typing only becomes REALLY complicated post calculus level, usually.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
Typing only becomes REALLY complicated post calculus level, usually.
Precisely. And post-calculus math is used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians all the time.

I wasn't very clear, but my initial comment was not referring to kiddos doing schoolwork.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
I'm not sure how feasible it is, but I would love an Apple Pencil that supports rotation.

For digital painting, the ability to rotate/turn a fan-brush style tool would be a game changer! As far as I know, there aren't any digital stylus that support this

YEAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Apple Pencil Pro supports rotation!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.