Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Compared to both the Pencil 1 and the Pencil 2, besides pressure sensitivity the new Pencil also has the drawback that it can’t be charged on the go using just the iPad. You need to take a USB-C cable with you in addition.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Wrong move. We need a better pencil that brings us closer to Wacom feeling in retouching and closer to Remarkable feeling when writing, not a pared-down version. Since when is Apple about «not as good» products. The iPad Line is super-diluted and now they start doing the same with the Keyboards and Pencils? Plus, the cool thing about Pencil 2 is that it loads «magically» while attached to the device. Who does NOT want this for a few € less?

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
The problem is, if you want pressure sensitivity, you still only have the choice between the iPad 9 or 10 with the Pencil 1 or a significantly more expensive iPad Air/Pro (or the smaller mini) with Pencil 2. The new Pencil changes nothing there. It also means the Pencil 1 can’t be considered obsolete, creating a confusing lineup with the three Pencils. That’s just awkward.
Technically you can also use the Pencil 1 on newer iPad Pro and Air models using the same convoluted connection scheme as with the 10th gen standard iPad.

Nevermind, I misread the table on the Apple Pencil page.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I edited my post. However, I don’t see why the new Apple Pencil isn’t compatible... seems strange.
It was already strange that the Pencil 1 and 2 weren’t mutually compatible, or at least in one direction. The fact that the new Pencil works both on iPads where previously only the Pencil 1 or the Pencil 2 worked, shows that this was at least partly an artificial restriction. And the new Pencil being restricted to USB-C iPads would likewise seem to be an artificial restriction.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
The problem is, if you want pressure sensitivity, you still only have the choice between the iPad 9 or 10 with the Pencil 1 or a significantly more expensive iPad Air/Pro (or the smaller mini) with Pencil 2. The new Pencil changes nothing there. It also means the Pencil 1 can’t be considered obsolete, creating a confusing lineup with the three Pencils. That’s just awkward.

I strongly suspect we’re moving to a position where pressure sensitivity is only available on the Pro models

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I strongly suspect we’re moving to a position where pressure sensitivity is only available on the Pro models
I could see them dropping it from the regular iPad, but the Air and mini will likely retain compatibility wih the Pencil 2.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It was already strange that the Pencil 1 and 2 weren’t mutually compatible, or at least in one direction. The fact that the new Pencil works on both iPads where previously only the Pencil 1 or the Pencil 2 worked, shows that this was at least partly an artificial restriction. And the new Pencil being restricted to USB-C iPads would likewise seem to be an artificial restriction.
Heck, we can go so far as to say this whole iPad saga is strange. No updates this year, 10th generation received the highly requested landscape camera hardware change (not the iPad Pros) and now this.

Reactions: klasma

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
This is such a consumer-hostile thing to do. I'm a diehard Apple sysadmin who can recite the lineup since about 1998, and this is confusing as hell.

How hard would it have been to have put a USB-C connector on the end of the 1st gen pencil and call it a damn day?
They could have, but then there wouldn’t be an $80 Pencil option, as opposed to the current $100 Pencil 1. It’s basically $20 off for people who don’t need pressure sensitivity.

The bad thing of course is that it will be the only option for entry level iPads going forward. Unless hopefully Pencil 3 will be have USBC so that entry level iPad users will have a pressure sensitive option.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It was already strange that the Pencil 1 and 2 weren’t mutually compatible, or at least in one direction.
Obviously Pencil 2 only has wireless connection hardware so it can’t connect to older iPads—so do you mean Pencil 1 should have been able to connect to newer USBC iPads with an adapter? Or do you mean Pencil 2 should have had both wireless and Lightning hardware?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Obviously Pencil 2 only has wireless connection hardware so it can’t connect to older iPads—so do you mean Pencil 1 should have been able to connect to newer USBC iPads with an adapter? Or do you mean Pencil 2 should have had both wireless and Lightning hardware?
The former, or for Pencils that were already paired using the same Apple ID, you wouldn’t need to re-pair them on a new device with that ID. Both Pencil 1 and 2 work with Bluetooth (they are listed in Settings under Bluetooth when connected), so it seems like it should have been possible to also make the Pencil 2 work with the older iPads.

PS: There are third-party pencils that work with all iPad models, so one would assume that Apple should manage to do the same (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9HZMMVM/).

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
They should have just lowered the price of the Apple Pencil 2 and called it a day. It's 5-year-old hardware, there's no way it couldn't be done. Keep the first pencil around for existing iPads that need it and phase it out over time, put the magnetic charging stuff in all future iPads.

But they gotta find ways to upsell, even if it's bad for consumers, makes for a confusing lineup, and worse for the environment.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I don’t get this move at all, what’s the point? Do we need an apple pencil SE tho?
Yeah, I don't fully get this move either. It's both an improvement and a regression from the Apple 1st gen Pencil.

A Macworld article nicely sums up the confusing Pencil and iPad lineups:

Choice is a good thing until it becomes overwhelming, contradictory, and confusing. The iPad line is hard enough to delineate without needing to also figure out which Apple Pencil to buy.

It's time that Apple reduce their cluttered iPad line and reduce it to about 4 items:
- iPad Pro (2 sizes)
- iPad mini
- regular iPad (or call it iPad Air, whatever)

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I don’t get this move at all, what’s the point? Do we need an apple pencil SE tho?
Apple sees long term, not just today. My guess is that Apple perceives future need and product positioning that we do not know enough to even speculate about.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
And one Pencil that works across all of them.
I can agree with that.

But, I also see utility for having 2 pencils (but not 3): one that is more expensive, and another that is less expensive and has fewer functions.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
This new Pencil is the Zagg Pro Stylus in every way but twice the price.

The Zagg has the same style USB C charging port, tilt recognition, non charging magnetic connection plus automatic BT pairing when its close but for $40.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
I don't think they'll stop production for at least five years. Once the 9th gen iPad becomes "obsolete" in 2028 or thereabouts, we'll see the first gen Pencil cancelled.
I'm betting the drop production of one when they drop the other. Doesn't make financial sense to keep production tied up in the First Gen when the last device using it is out of production. If you need a replacement for one on your 8th/9th/10th iPad, there are plenty of resellers on Amazon with a stockpile. Apple doesn't need to keep producing them. As soon as they drop sales of the last Lightning port iPad, I bet the First Gen goes with it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I can agree with that.

But, I also see utility for having 2 pencils (but not 3): one that is more expensive, and another that is less expensive and has fewer functions.
I assume they're going to drop the original pencil soon. I get the benefit of a cheaper and more expensive option, but they should still be cross-compatible. People with a fancy iPad might still only want a cheap pencil, while people with cheaper iPads should be able to pay for if they want things like pressure sensitivity.

Realistically though, I still think the better option would be to just make one good pencil and make it as affordable as possible (and drop the price or upgrade it when it's five years old). There's not enough feature-differentiation to really justify the separation Apple is doing here.

This is just prioritising profit over the product and the user-experience. The new one isn't even that cheap, and the experience is still bad compared to 2nd-gen pencil, and it's arguably even worse than the 1st-gen.

Reactions: klasma

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Folks, this is all about Apple’s tutti-fruitti, phoney baloney, plastic banana, good time rock-n-roll PR need to say “ALL NEW” and “LOWER PRICE,” to get people to buy something more, so they can expand their profit per sale.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Realistically though, I still think the better option would be to just make one good pencil and make it as affordable as possible (and drop the price or upgrade it when it's five years old). There's not enough feature-differentiation to really justify the separation Apple is doing here.

This is just prioritising profit over the product and the user-experience. The new one isn't even that cheap, and the experience is still bad compared to 2nd-gen pencil, and it's arguably even worse than the 1st-gen.
I totally agree. It feels like nickle and dime-ing here when that shouldn't be.

Reminds me of current passenger flying experience. Do you remember when US domestic flights allowed for at least 1 checked bag for free? In the past 2 decades, they started monetizing various bits of services without actually addding improvement to passenger experience or progress. So for example, they:
1. started charging for checked bags for domestic flights
2. created a Basic Economy tier in which you CANNOT select your seat without paying additional money
3. started charging for food on domestic flights
4. started charging for food on some international flights (e.g., to Canada and Mexico)
5. started charging for checked bags for some international flights (e.g., going to Europe they will charge, but going to Asia they won't).

It's really nutty. The latest that I know of, although it does not involve a US airline, is that cabin bags are weighed and anything over x kg will have to be a checked baggage FOR A FEE: that's, TAP Portgual with 8kg as the max weight for a cabin bag. Wow.

Reactions: boss.king

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Folks, this is all about Apple’s tutti-fruitti, phoney baloney, plastic banana, good time rock-n-roll PR need to say “ALL NEW” and “LOWER PRICE,” to get people to buy something more, so they can expand their profit per sale.
Plastic Banana?

Get off the goon train.

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
Probably the EU mandate unless the Pencil is somehow exempt from needing to be USB-C. I'd bet they drop the First Gen as the new one is compatible with all USB-C iPads. Which the 9th Gen iPad is the last Lightning iPad, right?
Pretty sure the eu mandate only applies to devices with a charging port so the gen 2 is exempt. Why not continue like that?

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I'm betting the drop production of one when they drop the other. Doesn't make financial sense to keep production tied up in the First Gen when the last device using it is out of production. If you need a replacement for one on your 8th/9th/10th iPad, there are plenty of resellers on Amazon with a stockpile. Apple doesn't need to keep producing them. As soon as they drop sales of the last Lightning port iPad, I bet the First Gen goes with it.
We shall see, but I highly doubt Apple's going to not sell you a pencil for an iPad that was sold under 5 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.