Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LevorgPenmancho

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2022
It’s to create tiered options for current iPads, with just enough features removed from the cheaper version to sell more of the more expensive version.
AP1 will become a legacy accessory you’ll need to actively search for, like if you want a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
iPad 10th Gen. really is the faux “counterfeit” iPad Air in every single way.

Mercy on all the hapless kids who’s non-techie family gift them an iPad 10 and $79 Apple Pencil this Christmas, thinking they’re saving money but buying something that’s the same as an Air.

iPad 10 and the $79 Pencil (USB-C) have to be the lowest value/$ iPad and Pencil Apple has ever put out.

Reactions: Timpetus

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
iPad 10th Gen. really is the faux “counterfeit” iPad Air in every single way.

Mercy on all the hapless kids who’s non-techie family gift them an iPad 10 and $79 Apple Pencil this Christmas, thinking they’re saving money but buying something that’s the same as an Air.

iPad 10 and the $79 Pencil (USB-C) have to be the lowest value/$ iPad and Pencil Apple has ever put out.
Poor, poor children having to make do with a $500 toy like that.

The 10th gen iPad is more iPad than most people with ever need and is a pretty capable device all things considered. Apple cheaped out with not supporting the 2nd gen pencil straight away, but it's not the end of the world. The new Pencil makes sense as a low cost option. It just should've come out with the iPad.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Poor, poor children having to make do with a $500 toy like that.

The 10th gen iPad is more iPad than most people with ever need and is a pretty capable device all things considered. Apple cheaped out with not supporting the 2nd gen pencil straight away, but it's not the end of the world. The new Pencil makes sense as a low cost option. It just should've come out with the iPad.
$79 is shamelessly expensive for a stylus with no pressure sensitivity.

I hope most stores still carry iPad 9th Gen. and 1st Gen. Pencils at a discount. That’s a way better value with a stylus that’s actually worth more than $10-$30.

Reactions: Timpetus

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
This is aimed at the education market and competes with the cheaper Logitech Crayon offering (also which charges by USB-C).

You need to think about (1) the educational discount, and (2) whatever discount is available on bulk purchases for this item.

A lot of this market doesn’t care about pressure sensitivity and has until now bought the Logitech because Gen 1/2 Pencils are too expensive.

Reactions: addamas

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It just seems weird. Like it’s not even required. Why not release a new 3rd gen pencil with the same wireless charging as gen 2 and discount the 2nd gen and retire the 1st gen lightning one. Makes sense.
The best that I can tell, is that this 1.5th gen Pencil is going to be the new "base" Pencil option in the future. The 9th gen iPad will be going away soon from the general public (available for bulk purchases for schools and enterprises) leaving the 10th gen as the base consumer-grade model.

The 10th gen iPad will see a slight price decrease and with the new lower-priced Pencil this will be a decent base-level combo.

But until then things will be a bit confusing.

Reactions: Southernguy

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I’m guessing it’s intended to compete with the Logitech Pencil - at a £10 difference, users would be much more likely to opt for Apple’s own version.

salmon

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
This seems like a perfect example of a trend I've noticed in Apple - they're losing sight of the Paradox of Choice. Who really thinks it's a good idea that a simple accessory like a pencil needs a compatibility matrix?

Apple's always been good about not overwhelming their customers with too many choices - do you want the regular or the Pro model? Laptop, iMac, or Pro Workstation? The product matrix was always really simple to navigate. Almost all other companies require in-depth knowledge of the differences between the X6TRQ, X7RQT, and the 7 similar but slightly different variations, or whatever. Apple was so much better that way.

Now they have way too many choices in each product category, and it keeps getting worse. Accessories like this should have a single version - it's a frickin' pencil. The only question a customer should need to think about is if their device is new enough to be fully compatible.

Reactions: boston04and07

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
The best that I can tell, is that this 1.5th gen Pencil is going to be the new "base" Pencil option in the future. The 9th gen iPad will be going away soon from the general public (available for bulk purchases for schools and enterprises) leaving the 10th gen as the base consumer-grade model.

The 10th gen iPad will see a slight price decrease and with the new lower-priced Pencil this will be a decent base-level combo.

Yeah i get that. Why not release a gen 3 and this version and call that the lineup. It’s just becoming messy and senseless for now.

Reactions: sracer

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Absolutely! I agree. For some reason Apple believes that there is a benefit to them by having a season of messiness in their product line. :oops::)
Maybe this is a situation partially created by the EU laws? Maybe Apple would have liked to retire the Lightning Pencil before introducing the USBC Pencil, but needed to introduce it sooner rather than later?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
It is interesting how the human mind tries to rationalize everything and give a sense to demeanors,facts, decisions

Anyway the way I see it, it has no intrinsic purpose, but rather serves as decoy effect for you to get the more expensive version. Yeah it's not rly true with base ipads but still you get the idea

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It is interesting how the human mind tries to rationalize everything and give a sense to demeanors,facts, decisions

Anyway the way I see it, it has no intrinsic purpose, but rather serves as decoy effect for you to get the more expensive version. Yeah it's not rly true with base ipads but still you get the idea
Pretty condescending way to elevate your opinion/view above those of others.

Edit- never mind, see next two posts.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Meh. It's a realization that applies to everyone and myself first of all, followed by my take on the topic, take that is funny in itself . Wasn't meant to be patronizing , unless the intent was to be self condescending. Idk
Oh I thought you were setting your opinion apart from the rest, didn’t know you were including yourself.

philvid2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011

I think the product line will also make more sense once we know the future of the Logitech Crayon. For all we know, Logitech might have informed Apple some time ago that it intends (or at least intended at the time) to stop producing the crayon, and Apple developed this pencil to have a replacement at the crayon's price point.

Maybe Apple originally intended for the 10th gen and crayon to be the new low price combo option for schools, which is why this new pencil didn't come out at the same time, and potential changes at Logitech caused this new pencil to be made to ensure there is still a low-level combo available in the future.

People need to remember that the crayon is sold in Apple Stores. Its not like this is the first time that Apple has been selling multiple pencil-like devices at different price points that work with a particular iPad.

Reactions: subjonas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.