Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared its fourth annual fraud prevention analysis, providing insight into how the App Store's rules protect users from fraudulent apps and other security issues.

app-store-fraud-2024.jpeg

Apple says that it prevented over $1.8 billion in fraudulent transactions in 2023 alone, and $7 billion during the period from 2020 to 2023. Apple blocked more than 14 million stolen credit cards and banned more than 3.3 million accounts from further transactions.

Over 1.7 million apps were rejected in 2023 for not meeting Apple's standards for privacy, security, and content. 118,000 developer accounts were terminated, down from 428,000 last year. The drop came from new efforts to prevent the creation of fraudulent accounts in the first place, plus more than 91,000 developer enrollments were rejected for fraud concerns.

More than 153 million fraudulent customer accounts were blocked, and close to 374 million developer and customer accounts were terminated. Apple says that it detected and blocked 47,000 illegitimate apps on pirate storefronts, and stopped almost 3.8 million attempts to install or launch apps that were illicitly distributed through the Enterprise Program.

The app review team reviewed 6.9 million app submissions in 2023, and helped 192,000 developers publish their first apps on the App Store. Apple says that there has been an uptick in apps that misrepresented themselves as non-harmful products and later transformed into pirate movie streaming platforms or illegal gambling apps, which the App Store team has worked to block.

Some financial service apps involved in "complex and malicious" social engineering efforts to defraud users were identified and removed, and Apple says a total of 40,000 apps were pulled for bait and switch activity. Another 38,000 apps were rejected for undocumented or hidden features, and 375,000 apps were rejected for privacy violations.

Apple's report comes following changes in the European Union that have allowed for apps to be installed outside of the App Store, skirting some of the app review process. Apps distributed from alternative app marketplaces or websites must undergo a safety notarization process, but Apple does not check for content. Apple has claimed that downloading apps outside of the App Store will put users at risk for scams, fraud, and privacy issues.

Article Link: Apple Says It Stopped $7 Billion in Fraudulent Transactions in Last 4 Years

Last edited:

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
When the numbers become this large, one has to realise that at least 1% slip through, so to speak. Staggering, I'll tell ya.

Reactions: NMBob

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
do people in this comment section realize that no one is forcing you to sideload apps? the app store isn't going anywhere
Exactly. Downloading an app through alternative channels is entirely optional. Anyone against this is against users having a choice. Users can still use the traditional App Store if they have any security/privacy concerns.

It’s been said before by others and I’ll say it again, it’s been like this on macOS for forever and no one made a big deal about it. User choice is a good thing and this report is clearly a move to promote their own ecosystem.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
do people in this comment section realize that no one is forcing you to sideload apps? the app store isn't going anywhere
I think they want to state it because there will be users in the future who believe Apple should police the other stores. Which isn’t going to happen anyway, Apple will provide a similar FileVault or Security measure that gets the user to agree they assume the risk.

Apple does do more than Google on this issue. Can’t speak for Epic Game Store or Steam… but I think they police it to some extent.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Yes but that doesn't stop ignorant users from side loading, getting a virus, sharing data with criminals, bricking their device, etc. and these things affect all of us directly and indirectly. I have many friends and family that have no knowledge nor patience for best security practices. Most developers pay 15%-30% to Apple to stop fraudulent charges and malware so I want them to do this effectively. I don't have the time to go to each person I know to teach them basic security.

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Yes but that doesn't stop ignorant users from side loading, getting a virus, sharing data with criminals, bricking their device, etc. and these things affect all of us directly and indirectly. I have many friends and family that have no knowledge nor patience for best security practices.
I would venture to guess these types of users probably wouldn’t be going out of their way to download apps through alternative marketplaces. And if they are, you’re basically saying Apple needs to police stupidity by restricting choice, thereby limiting options for better-educated users. I understand where you’re coming from, but these are the types of scare tactics that Apple is relying on to be proliferated to keep everything in their ecosystem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.