Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Why are you asking loaded questions that assume something over and over? This is considered a logical fallacy.

Watch, I can do it too: why are you asking questions that you know aren’t true but do so anyway just to get attention?

Most people don’t have problems with these keyboards. Apple insider shows that even with the supposed keyboard issues the 2016-2018 models are being repaired at fewer rates than 2015 and before models.

Millions of people buy these. Most don’t have problems. IMO to say something is defective it has to affect a significant number of users.

So there you have it. That’s why. Most people aren’t having problems. Apple is standing behind their product, something most other computer manufacturers wouldn’t do.

You are missing the obvious point though. If Apple did not make keyboards with a significant tendency to break in the first place, the repair program would not even be necessary.

Apple are not standing behind their product in some altruistic way. They have been embarrassed once again in to incurring significant expense, in order to repair faults that they never should have introduced.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
You are missing the obvious point though. If Apple did not make keyboards with a significant tendency to break in the first place, the repair program would not even be necessary.

Apple are not standing behind their product in some altruistic way. They have been embarrassed once again in to incurring significant expense, in order to repair faults that they never should have introduced.
Agreed! Otherwise Apple would make the warranty 4 years for the whole thing

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
questions not true?

My first question with facts to support the question.

Why did it take apple over 3 years and 2 class action lawsuits for apple to admit sine 2015 the keyboard in the MacBook has been defective?

Apple launched its Keyboard service program 22nd June 2018.
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) was the first with a defective keyboard.
This link will give you more information it also mentions the 2 class action lawsuits also a change.org petition that has over 36,000 have signed

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/22/apple-macbook-pro-keyboard-repair-program/

As apple monitor sites like this may I ask are you an apple employee?

If any apple employee post here it may be helpful if you say that you work for apple.
and apple are ok with you saying you are an apple employee

@Macskin --- Because Apple stands behind its products unlike most manufacturers. People spend more on Apple products and expect better service, better longevity, and better usability. Also, Apple gets a lot more press (usually negative) even if their product has far higher reliability scores (which it does).

I'm not happy that Apple chose a design that makes people spend $500+ to repair a keyboard, that said, Apple listened to the complaint of users and offered a replacement program for 4 years.

Apple doesn't let its employees post on forums like this. So... to even ask that question shows you're seriously uninformed about more than just a few things. I'm a Windows C# programmer by trade. And the reason why I post here is because I dislike it when people don't use their brains.

Let me explain...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...em-to-improve-reliability-and-thats-not-great

"Overall, the total number of service calls is lower for both the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro, versus the older models, even including the keyboard failures."

"It turns out there was a problem, and is worth discussing. And, it is one worthy of a repair program. But, it is not an "epic fail" or any other declaratives that we've seen lately. Headlines like "The new MacBook Pro keyboard is ruining my life" remain hyperbole out of proportion to the actual issue."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-at-a-faster-rate-than-the-butterfly-keyboard

"Tom Warren of the Verge tweeted that "Apple is trying to fix its broken MacBook keyboard design again," but like most reports taking aim at Apple's butterfly keyboard, there was no effort made to quantify the issue. There isn't data showing the MacBook keyboard is "broken." Instead, it remains a nebulous complaint that is suggested to be an industry-worst failure rate without any real data supporting that."

"But MacBook keyboards also had key failures and other issues before the introduction of the butterfly mechanism in 2015—in fact, our data shows they were actually less reliable than today's MacBook Pros."

"It has become the new iPhone 4 AntennaGate or iPhone 6 BendGate: a reason to take joy in a problem that's not clearly even a problem for most users, and also one that's not at all unique to Apple, even if the media narrative frames it as if it were."

I disagree completely, and the findings of AppleInsider disagree as well. Apple cares about the reputation of its brand. It didn't have to do a keyboard replacement program even though "our data shows that they (keyboards before 2016) were actually less reliable than today's MacBook Pros."

I realize it is popular to hate on Apple. I don't blame you for doing what is popular. Some people are drawn to it like moths to a flame. So no worries.

Agreed! Otherwise Apple would make the warranty 4 years for the whole thing

Another logical fallacy. Where is your proof that it was high numbers? See the quote right above yours. Why would Apple make a 4 year warranty for a product that is MORE reliable than keyboards of previous MacBook Pros?

-----------------------

I am a Windows 10 - Visual Studio 2019 C# programmer (2018 XPS 15). Never have I been employed by Apple nor will I. I wouldn't want to be. I'd rather work for Microsoft. I prefer OneDrive and OneNote to Apple's offerings - and this is where my data resides because Microsoft offers a vastly superior cloud service and office suite.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
questions not true?

My first question with facts to support the question.

Why did it take apple over 3 years and 2 class action lawsuits for apple to admit sine 2015 the keyboard in the MacBook has been defective?

Apple launched its Keyboard service program 22nd June 2018.
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) was the first with a defective keyboard.
This link will give you more information it also mentions the 2 class action lawsuits also a change.org petition that has over 36,000 have signed

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/22/apple-macbook-pro-keyboard-repair-program/

As apple monitor sites like this may I ask are you an apple employee?

If any apple employee post here it may be helpful if you say that you work for apple.
and apple are ok with you saying you are an apple employee
Whole 36,000 signatures, that might be separate individuals might not be, compared to total 2016 to 2018 MacBook Pro sales is a rounding error. You have gone on and on repeating yourself, to what end? You’re possibly a new member here or not, either way good luck ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They are in the middle of a lawsuit for the butterfly keyboard from prior years. Until that is settled they will need to include the new design keyboards as long as its still using a similar design (butterfly switch).

What I would do is delay new product releases (even if its 100% fix) until the lawsuit is settled to avoid any association to the issue. That is definitely not an option for Apple due the volumes of product the need to move.

Warranty repairs are two fold. Not only does it kill profit from the product being repaired but it ties up an employee that could be doing something that is profitable for the business. Any business that wants to stay around tries their hardest to avoid warranty repairs.

I mention the above to establish the importance for a business to avoid warranty repairs because there is another way to look at an extended warranty that seems arbitrary.

I'm in the business of various types of building conditioning (heating, cooling, CO, CO2, humidity, sub zero cooling etc etc). Using experience I try to warranty products for 1/2-3/4 the time I expect them to run until failure also I consider the individual part warranty on high dollar items. This usually ends up being around 3-7 years. The warranty needs to undershoot by fair margin of time because declining a warranty claim 1 month out of warranty is bad business. Apple does this too that is why you hear out of warranty repairs done at no charge so often. Its just PR.

So if I was going to add a 4 year warranty to a product I would need it too last 6-8 years to maintain profitability and quality customer service.

Consider this, if a car A has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and car B has a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty many of you are essentially saying car A is less reliable because its warranty is better........?

At the end of the day warranties are an educated prediction of the future. We will need to see failure rates before we can say it's defective or not.

DON'T GET ME WRONG I could end up eating crow and I'm ok with that but we'll just need actual data before saying anything.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
If you don't like it then don't buy one. I don't understand why people are complaining about the extended warranty program. It's no different than a car manufacturer sending you a letter extending the warranty on a part.

Reactions: jerryk and Dave245

Mark Holmes

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
San Diego CA
I agree, Apple is acting in bad faith. Continuing to manufacture and sell a product that has a known design defect is not acceptable. In my opinion, if you're determined to stick with Apple, buy a used mid 2012 MacBook Pro (best MacBook ever made, many think) upgrade the RAM and HD to an SSD, and you're set. My 2012 15" is still running great, and has had no problems with any hardware, much less the KEYBOARD, which is arguably the most important piece of the machine. The next OS, Catalina, will also still support this model.
A "service program" that replaces the butterfly keyboard - only up to 4 years - argues strongly for abandoning Apple laptops until a redesign happens. A keyboard, and laptop, that still functions perfectly 7 years in is what we used to expect from Apple.

Reactions: Macskin

Macskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
UK
@BigMcGuire I asked,

@Macskin --- Because Apple stands behind its products unlike most manufacturers. People spend more on Apple products and expect better service, better longevity, and better usability. Also, Apple gets a lot more press (usually negative) even if their product has far higher reliability scores (which it does).

I'm not happy that Apple chose a design that makes people spend $500+ to repair a keyboard, that said, Apple listened to the complaint of users and offered a replacement program for 4 years.

"Apple stand behind its product" dose not explain why it took apple over 3 years to stand.

I think everyone would agree with you saying "People spend more on Apple products and expect better service, better longevity, and better usability."
Some got a defective MacBook.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
@BigMcGuire I asked,

"Apple stand behind its product" dose not explain why it took apple over 3 years to stand.

I think everyone would agree with you saying "People spend more on Apple products and expect better service, better longevity, and better usability."
Some got a defective MacBook.

I have a different view on things than you do. I believe Apple waited until AppleCare ran out on the 2016 mbp before doing anything. Just like they waited a year before putting the 2018 mbp on the repair list.

They definitely could have been faster to do a repair program but like I said, most other companies wouldn’t have bothered.

AppleInsider shows this laptop and keyboard to be more reliable than previous models. Repair rates (including keyboard repairs, are less). That also explains why they weren’t in a rush to do anything.

Reactions: smirking

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
I have a different view on things than you do. I believe Apple waited until AppleCare ran out on the 2016 mbp before doing anything
Early owners of this 2015, 2016 and even 2017 laptops with the butterfly keyboard were on the hook to pay for the repairs. Apple waited until 2018 to institute a repair program

Reactions: c0ppo

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Early owners of this 2015, 2016 and even 2017 laptops with the butterfly keyboard were on the hook to pay for the repairs. Apple waited until 2018 to institute a repair program

Ah yes, you're right, 2018. I thought it was 2017. I do believe that Apple could have been faster on that. That said, as a company, if AppleInsider is right on the stats it pulls from the Apple Stores, if I had a laptop that was more reliable than previous models, including keyboard issues, then I wouldn't have done anything myself. No other company would have given a damn. Now did it take a lawsuit and threat to make Apple do something? Yeah probably had an impact.

Is Apple perfect? Nope. Why the hell should a keyboard repair cost $500+? That's insane. That said, Apple's MBP has the highest reliability score and people love to blow issues way out of the water for attention. Apple deserves any loss of future business because of this decision.

My wife's MBP and my MBP (2017) have been perfect - same for the dozens of people we know at university (and one relative). Sadly, I don't even know one person with issues. If this keyboard was 1/10th as defective as some people want to make it out to be, AppleInsider's Apple Store results would show this laptop to be getting repaired more often AND chances are I'd know someone who has a keyboard issue. Especially if some people are getting it repaired 3-4 times...

I actually know people with a 2015 model that had their keyboard die... o_O

But yeah, don't get me wrong. A keyboard repair should NOT cost $500. I bought our 2017 MBPs without realizing all this. Would I have done differently had I known? Probably.

Last edited:

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
AppleInsider is right on the stats it pulls from the Apple Stores,
My take on Apple insider, like IMore, is that they are pretty biased with pro apple content. A more independent source would have been better. As it stands I think the numbers are sufficiently debatable that no full conclusion can be made

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My take on Apple insider, like IMore, is that they are pretty biased with pro apple content. A more independent source would have been better. As it stands I think the numbers are sufficiently debatable that no full conclusion can be made

AppleInsider is definitely pro apple. That said, I haven't had any other numbers show up that I can quote, so they're the ones I quote all the time. I don't doubt that they could be debatable - I wish someone ... anyone.... would come out with numbers. But I imagine that won't happen. Till then, AppleInsider is the closest I've got to anything with numbers. Even if they're off a little, (give or take), they show a trend.

Macskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
UK
I have a different view on things than you do. I believe Apple waited until AppleCare ran out on the 2016 mbp before doing anything. Just like they waited a year before putting the 2018 mbp on the repair list.

They definitely could have been faster to do a repair program but like I said, most other companies wouldn’t have bothered.

AppleInsider shows this laptop and keyboard to be more reliable than previous models. Repair rates (including keyboard repairs, are less). That also explains why they weren’t in a rush to do anything.

If apple waited till the applecare ran out on the 2016 mbp they would of waited till 2019 before doing anything as applecare runs for 3 years. That may be ok with customers that bought applecare if you did not get applecare it would cost you £500 waiting for apple to do something.

The keyboard service program apple said is for 4 years after date of purchase if you have applecare they have extended the warranty only on the keyboard by one year and that was only after 2 class action lawsuits had been filed against apple

It was 3 years and after the 2nd class action lawsuits had been filed against apple a month later on the 22nd June 2018 apple admit that some keyboards are defective and announce the keyboard service program and limit it to 4 years after date of purchase. Apple are standing behind only the keyboard for an extra 1 year after your apple care runs out. before the 22nd June 2018 if your warranty had ran out and had no applecare apple were more than happy to say the customers caused the damage and the repair on a mbp will cost you £500.
I you got a 2015 mb from it was launch on the 9th March 2015 apple only stood behind you for another 260 days after apple started the keyboard service program.

A company in the uk that makes tumble dryers discovered that a component in one of there tumble dryers had a faulty component they removed the product from sale until the faulty component was replaced before selling the tumble dryer again. The company made a press release and it was reported on TV, radio and in newspapers the company had discovered a problem with this make and model of tumble dryer and what to do if you have one of the tumble dryers. The company also took out local and national news paper advertisements about the tumble dryer they also contacted everyone that had registered the tumble dryer.

Why did it take over 3 years and 2 class action lawsuits to be filed for apple to admit that some of the keyboards used in the mb since 2015 and the mbp since 2016 are defective?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Why did it take over 3 years and 2 class action lawsuits to be filed for apple to admit that some of the keyboards used in the mb since 2015 and the mbp since 2016 are defective?

First off, anyone can create a class action lawsuit... And Apple attracts them like flies to **** because of the $ it has. You'll find people sue Apple for all sorts of things. You keep asking this question over and over like it has any validity to it.

Second off, Apple has not admitted that its keyboards are defective. That's where you're wrong. If they did, they'd be roasted alive by the media (which is already happening) and every MBP owner would demand a refund.

A quick Bing search - doesn't seem like anything has become of these lawsuits yet.

Something that may surprise you... Apple is in business to make $, not to make a perfect laptop. No piece of human engineered technology is perfect, regardless of the cost.

Now, I'm only going to say this once more because you've ignored several posts that have talked about this. AppleInsider shows that this laptop with these keyboards is getting serviced LESS than previous laptops without the butterfly keyboard. I've already spent time quoting AppleInsider. Show me your sourced proof of defective.

Good luck with your unproven anti-Apple biased statements. Sell that Apple MB of yours and you could probably afford quite a few $400 Wal-Mart/Target laptops that have perfect keyboards that never die. (I say this with sarcasm because I've had 3 Dell Latitude keyboard failures in my lifetime and a $399 Lenovo laptop keyboard failure).

Macskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
UK
First off, anyone can create a class action lawsuit... And Apple attracts them like flies to **** because of the $ it has. You'll find people sue Apple for all sorts of things. You keep asking this question over and over like it has any validity to it.

Second off, Apple has not admitted that its keyboards are defective. That's where you're wrong. If they did, they'd be roasted alive by the media (which is already happening) and every MBP owner would demand a refund.

A quick Bing search - doesn't seem like anything has become of these lawsuits yet.

Something that may surprise you... Apple is in business to make $, not to make a perfect laptop. No piece of human engineered technology is perfect, regardless of the cost.

Now, I'm only going to say this once more because you've ignored several posts that have talked about this. AppleInsider shows that this laptop with these keyboards is getting serviced LESS than previous laptops without the butterfly keyboard. I've already spent time quoting AppleInsider. Show me your sourced proof of defective.

Good luck with your unproven anti-Apple biased statements. Sell that Apple MB of yours and you could probably afford quite a few $400 Wal-Mart/Target laptops that have perfect keyboards that never die. (I say this with sarcasm because I've had 3 Dell Latitude keyboard failures in my lifetime and a $399 Lenovo laptop keyboard failure).

As most companies do not like spending money on things they do not have to if there is nothing wrong with some of the keyboards is apple waisting money with the keyboard service program.

Apple has determined that a small percentage of the keyboards in certain MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:

• Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
  • Letters or characters do not appear
  • Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

You must be an expert on everything about apple as your knowledge of apple covers 62 areas of this forum on so many different subjects. Also it must take you hours to research and cross check your results to post as much as you do it must feel like a full time job at times.

"Apple is in business to make $, not to make a perfect laptop." I am sure apple want to make money in every currency not just $, not perfect but bing the best they must be so close as they don’t settle for anything less than excellence.
according to the apple mission statement and the vision statement.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

We believe that we are on the face of the earth to make great products and that’s not changing. We are constantly focusing on innovating. We believe in the simple not the complex. We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products that we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution. We believe in saying no to thousands of projects, so that we can really focus on the few that are truly important and meaningful to us. We believe in deep collaboration and cross-pollination of our groups, which allow us to innovate in a way that others cannot. And frankly, we don’t settle for anything less than excellence in every group in the company, and we have the self-honesty to admit when we’re wrong and the courage to change. And I think regardless of who is in what job those values are so embedded in this company that Apple will do extremely well.

If you do not know the answer to the question you do not have to answer the question.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
@Macskin
I disagree completely, and the findings of AppleInsider disagree as well. Apple cares about the reputation of its brand. It didn't have to do a keyboard replacement program even though "our data shows that they (keyboards before 2016) were actually less reliable than today's MacBook Pros."

I realize it is popular to hate on Apple. I don't blame you for doing what is popular. Some people are drawn to it like moths to a flame. So no worries.

I'm not bashing Apple becuase its popular, in fact I wish they'd make their laptops to be more reliable as I'd see them. But also am happy to disagree and acknowledge your opinion.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm not bashing Apple becuase its popular, in fact I wish they'd make their laptops to be more reliable as I'd see them. But also am happy to disagree and acknowledge your opinion.

Agreed completely. :). On the reliability note somewhere someone posted the consumer reports reliability score of the mbp and it was at the top of a big list of laptops. Not that I pay any attention to consumer reports anymore. Lol.

Happy Monday - hope your week goes well.
[doublepost=1560168150][/doublepost]
As most companies do not like spending money on things they do not have to if there is nothing wrong with some of the keyboards is apple waisting money with the keyboard service program.

Apple has determined that a small percentage of the keyboards in certain MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:

• Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
  • Letters or characters do not appear
  • Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

You must be an expert on everything about apple as your knowledge of apple covers 62 areas of this forum on so many different subjects. Also it must take you hours to research and cross check your results to post as much as you do it must feel like a full time job at times.

"Apple is in business to make $, not to make a perfect laptop." I am sure apple want to make money in every currency not just $, not perfect but bing the best they must be so close as they don’t settle for anything less than excellence.
according to the apple mission statement and the vision statement.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

We believe that we are on the face of the earth to make great products and that’s not changing. We are constantly focusing on innovating. We believe in the simple not the complex. We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products that we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution. We believe in saying no to thousands of projects, so that we can really focus on the few that are truly important and meaningful to us. We believe in deep collaboration and cross-pollination of our groups, which allow us to innovate in a way that others cannot. And frankly, we don’t settle for anything less than excellence in every group in the company, and we have the self-honesty to admit when we’re wrong and the courage to change. And I think regardless of who is in what job those values are so embedded in this company that Apple will do extremely well.

If you do not know the answer to the question you do not have to answer the question.

I am but a hobbyist. Computers are something I’ve spent my life working with but I’m far far from an expert. And yes I’ve spent way too much time over the last 7 years posting on these forums. Lol

Happy Monday to you as well. Hope your week turns out to be a great one.

Last edited:

Macskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
UK
Apple say that keyboards damaged due to attempted repair are still eligible for free service under the program. If your MacBook or MacBook Pro has physical top case damage unrelated to the keyboard, it also remains eligible. But if there is any water damage no matter how much they will not repair it.

The first time I took my MacBook Pro to apple for sticky keys the genius took my MacBook Pro out the back for an hour he said he hoped the keys and cleaned under them and replaced a few keys. That seemed to clear the problem for a bit as the problem returned. I took my MacBook Pro back to apple the genius was going to do the same again until I said that they did that before he then said new top cover. 14 days later I am then told there is water damage and apple refuse to do the repair

When I left the army I was diagnosed as having PTSD and as a result of this when I have problems I sometimes over heat and my entire body breaks into a sweat. I do not break out in a full body sweat often and dry sometimes my hands feel damp a little longer thats the only way any water might get on my MacBook Pro.

I thought when I got AppleCare for my MacBook Pro that would cover me for any problems with my MacBook Pro AppleCare dose not help me. not long after I got my MacBook Pro and AppleCare apple done some changes to AppleCare and introduced AppleCare+ that would of helped me.

As apple have already repaired my MacBook Pro for sticky keys now say that I have to pay to replace the top cover the water damage before they will look at the sticky keys.
replacing the top cover replaces the sticky keys letting apple out of the cost of fixing the sticky keys and getting me to pay for them to fix the sticky keys. I suggested as there is 2 problems that one that apple is repairing free of charge and the water damage that we split the cost of the repair they say No water damage first.
as some of the keys are not affected by water damage and the water has not caused any problem anywhere on my MacBook Pro why cant apple fix the sticky keys they said that wont replace the top cover to fix the sticky keys as it will be fixing the water damage at the same time. I must fix the water damage first.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
If this was a car, instead of a computer, with a known weakness and the offer of a free repair just-in-case, would you buy one? I wouldn't.

You're right regarding your analogy of a car, however if an owner already owned said car which had a widespread problem, there would be a recall (look at the Zafira B recall) to ensure that ALL models that had the problem would be fixed permanently. Now, my understanding regarding the MacBook Pros is that the 2016 and 2017 models keep getting the same faulty design keyboard back from repairs, whereas the 2018s now get the 2019 design which could represent a fix. At the very least, Apple should repair all the 2016 and 2017 models to the 2019 standard as well, and by not doing so, does this not leave the door open for people to claim that Apple knowingly sold/repaired a faulty product without a proper fix?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
You're right regarding your analogy of a car, however if an owner already owned said car which had a widespread problem, there would be a recall (look at the Zafira B recall) to ensure that ALL models that had the problem would be fixed permanently. Now, my understanding regarding the MacBook Pros is that the 2016 and 2017 models keep getting the same faulty design keyboard back from repairs, whereas the 2018s now get the 2019 design which could represent a fix. At the very least, Apple should repair all the 2016 and 2017 models to the 2019 standard as well, and by not doing so, does this not leave the door open for people to claim that Apple knowingly sold/repaired a faulty product without a proper fix?

But not every keyboard fails. That's the difference. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest its nowhere near every keyboard failing, but its obviously affecting enough of them that Apple have had to put the repair programme in place.

If you want to talk car analogies, this thread appears to be like somebody buying a new car, tipping a can of coke in to the stereo and then going back to ask them to fix the stereo for free. "But it didn't work before I tipped the coke in to it so it shouldn't matter."

I don't think they can put the 2018+ keyboard components in to the earlier machines. Originally I had read that they just wouldn't fit due to the extra space needed (which is absolutely tiny in the scheme of things but they'd adjusted something in the later models) but I think @maflynn had the answer as to why its just not possible.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

njgop1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2022
There is no evidence (yet) that the 2019 keyboard will have the same issues! Apple may of fixed it, after all they did make some changes to the keyboard materials.

Also the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro from 2018, will get the 2019 keyboard if they are sent in for repair.
I have 2019 & it’s going back to Apple for repair because of the flex gate problem. They sent me a refurbished 2019 replacement MacBook Pro and this is the fourth time that this has happened to me. I can use my MacBook to run to small businesses that are failing and Apple has taken two months to deal with this repair. I keep getting told to send pictures and I do and I hear nothing back, this is nothing I’ve done because I’ve done my research this is happening tonight just me and the 2019 club customer but a lot of other people as there was just a lawsuit in California what Apple has to pay $93 million to a class action suit

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Why is this so little states? I don’t get it. Too bad i had 3 repairs and in az

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I am so glad that I avoided this entire generation of MacBooks. And that there was enough feedback from this site to make that decision.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am so glad that I avoided this entire generation of MacBooks. And that there was enough feedback from this site to make that decision.
Agreed, I think like the 2011 GPU issue, I feel that the butterfly keyboards was the worst thing that apple has done, and in some respects hurt their brand reputation. They largely and rightfully regained that reputation with the introduction of the ARM MBPs, but it was a dark period for apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.