Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Why does Apple do this? If you shell out full-price for a supposedly unlocked phone, you should get a phone that works with any carrier in the U.S. and any network worldwide. It's not until the "sim-free" phone becomes available that you get this.

So in effect those shelling out full price for the iPhone 7 at launch are getting LESS of a phone than those who wait for the sim-free version a month or so down the road.

It's only the sim-free phone that will work with AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint, and other networks in the U.S.; networks in China; networks elsewhere in the world.

It's these sim-free, work-everywhere phones that will have the highest resale value, and with good reason: More people will be interested in them. Bigger audience.

Plus, I like to travel the world. I don't want my full-priced iPhone 7 crippling me from the get-go.

Booo, Apple. Dumb!

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I'm a confused- they sell unlocked phones at launch. Just take the sim out and put your old one in yah?

You're are confused, but Apple wants it that way. It's trying to have its cake and eat it, too, at the buyer's expense. I would guess it has some agreements in place with the big 4 carriers in the U.S. that prevent it from actually selling the fully capable sim-free version of the iPhone at launch--the better for the carriers to rake in some money. Unfortunately for the consumer who shells out for a full-priced iPhone at launch, the phone isn't really capable of being used on any network, anywhere. Check it out yourself:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-7-iphone-7-plus

If you really want to get the phone you deserve to be getting by shelling out full price for an "unlocked" phone, you must wait for the "sim-free" version to go on sale.

I wouldn't touch these full-priced unlocked phones. This practice should end. Apple needs to stop this crap if it wants good will from its knowledgeable users.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
They obviously don't have more popularity than the carrier operated phones or else it would have been offered as an option. Constricted supply means those reserving millions of iPhones, across the world, get their opportunity. It also cuts down on people scalping, unfortunately.

Give it 8 weeks - you will survive. Sometimes things are outside of your control.

Reactions: Roar7 and chimelime

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Must we have this exact thread every time there's a new iPhone out?

Just buy it full price in the store. Any carrier. It'll be unlocked out of the box.

I distinctly remember this exact thread when the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6s came out. Every. single. phone.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Just buy it full price in the store. Any carrier. It'll be unlocked out of the box.

I distinctly remember this exact thread when the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6s came out. Every. single. phone.
I have a question Sir please: I will be travelling to the US on the 16th. I need to use it in my home country, so I need an unlocked version. You say I won't be able to buy it? I won't stay in the US for a month.​

Reactions: Jychow

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015

If you remember this kind of thread, maybe you're carrying your misunderstanding of the situation with you.

I'll put it simply:

People who pay $900 now for one of the carrier-specific "unlocked" phones will be getting a LESS CAPABLE phone than people who spend the same $900 for a sim-free phone when the sim-free phones are released.

You want a less capable phone than the gal who who waits for the sim-free phones? Fine. Spend your money now.

What I'm saying is that on a feature-for-feature basis, the early adopters are getting the shaft.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
You're are confused, but Apple wants it that way. It's trying to have its cake and eat it, too, at the buyer's expense. I would guess it has some agreements in place with the big 4 carriers in the U.S. that prevent it from actually selling the fully capable sim-free version of the iPhone at launch--the better for the carriers to rake in some money. Unfortunately for the consumer who shells out for a full-priced iPhone at launch, the phone isn't really capable of being used on any network, anywhere. Check it out yourself:

If you really want to get the phone you deserve to be getting by shelling out full price for an "unlocked" phone, you must wait for the "sim-free" version to go on sale.

I wouldn't touch these full-priced unlocked phones. This practice should end. Apple needs to stop this crap if it wants good will from its knowledgeable users.

You write a lot but don't say anything. Unlocked is unlocked. Are you saying I can't take any simm and just pop in in if I buy full price?
[doublepost=1473293126][/doublepost]
If you remember this kind of thread, maybe you're carrying your misunderstanding of the situation with you.

I'll put it simply:

People who pay $900 now for one of the carrier-specific "unlocked" phones will be getting a LESS CAPABLE phone than people who spend the same $900 for a sim-free phone when the sim-free phones are released.

You want a less capable phone than the gal who who waits for the sim-free phones? Fine. Spend your money now.

What I'm saying is that on a feature-for-feature basis, the early adopters are getting the shaft.

less capable how?
some models have CDMA and others are only GSM. That has nothing to do with locked or unlocked or capable.
that has to do with the chip they put in the phone.

if you want "fully capable" buy a Verizon or Sprint phone

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
In a way he is. ATT and T-Mobile ones lack the CDMA bands. Whereas, the sim free version will have all and Verizon one.

the sim has nothing to do with the air interface chip in the phone.
it's a physical chip. CDMA and GSM are different air interfaces. got zero to do with sim unlocking.

Reactions: ABC5S and macfacts

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

There are two versions of the iPhone for sale and they service mostly but not all of the same connection bands. Basically in the US your Verizon iPhone purchased on launch day will not work as well on TMobile and vice versa, whether you pay full price or not. It is not a question about being unlocked.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. So there are 2 different iPhone models for you in the U.S., right? One for the CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon) and the GSM model (AT&T, T-Mo) that's also sold in the rest of the world. Both models are UNLOCKED and will work with any carrier, as long as the necessary frequencies are supported?!

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I bought a sprint iPhone 6 from Apple on launch and my mom uses it now on t-mobile. Is that not unlocked? Is it no longer like this or am I missing something?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
You write a lot but don't say anything. Unlocked is unlocked. Are you saying I can't take any simm and just pop in in if I buy full price?

I don't know why I have to explain this. I provided a link. Go read it.

Here's the short version: You buy an "unlocked" AT&T or T-Mobile phone at $900. Can you use it with Verizon? No! "But I thought it was unlocked," you say. "Carrier-unlocked, yeah," I say. "But it's not a phone you can use on any network."

Same goes for the Verizon "unlocked" model. Want to use it with T-Mobile? "Sorry, buddy."

There's even more to this story. You can read it yourself.

Check out the "sim-free" iPhone 6s models for comparison. Those are the ones that are truly "unlocked" as some of your are understanding this term. Those are the ones that work on every network, everywhere.

If you want that capability (and why not--you're paying big bucks for an unlocked phone), you gotta wait for the SIM-FREE iPhone 7.

It's a travesty. Should be illegal what they're doing.

Reactions: gregnauman

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What do you want people to say? If you want sim free wait until they offer sim free. It's your prerogative to buy sim free but it's apple's prerogative to decide when to offer it. To the vast majority of the world this is a non issue. I'd say less are worried about this than about the headphone jack.

Also I'm using an iPhone SE bought on Verizon with T-Mobile as we speak, so I'm unsure your example scenario makes much sense.

protox

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
What do you want people to say? If you want sim free wait until they offer sim free. It's your prerogative to buy sim free but it's apple's prerogative to decide when to offer it. To the vast majority of the world this is a non issue. I'd say less are worried about this than about the headphone jack.

Also I'm using an iPhone SE bought on Verizon with T-Mobile as we speak, so I'm unsure your example scenario makes much sense.

That's because with the iPhone 7 they reverted back to their old ways before the iPhone 6.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
AT&T iPhone comes unlocked if purchased under an installment plan and will be unlocked once its paid for. If it's purchased outright At&t will unlock it for you and it WILL work with Verizon.

VERIZON iPhone comes unlocked and you can swap sims between carriers with no problems whatsoever. You can use your At&t sim and it will work just fine.

The only difference I can think of between SIM FREE and a Verizon or Att iPhone is the model number! that's it. They will still work between carriers.

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008

Here's the short version: You buy an "unlocked" AT&T or T-Mobile phone at $900. Can you use it with Verizon? No! "But I thought it was unlocked," you say. "Carrier-unlocked, yeah," I say. "But it's not a phone you can use on any network."

Same goes for the Verizon "unlocked" model. Want to use it with T-Mobile? "Sorry, buddy."

Check out the "sim-free" iPhone 6s models for comparison. Those are the ones that are truly "unlocked" as some of your are understanding this term. Those are the ones that work on every network, everywhere.

If you want that capability (and why not--you're paying big bucks for an unlocked phone), you gotta wait for the SIM-FREE iPhone 7.

Verizon model will work with both AT&T and T-Mobile.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Eh I understand where he's coming from. If you buy an unlocked on day 1 you could go to another country where you might be able to use 3G service but if you got the "sim free" you'd be able to use LTE (hypothetical scenario) since the versions (17xx) are not equivalent per say.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Well after some research:

With a 6s, there is only a single model. There is gsm or cdma phone, anymore. Only one and it supports all of the bands.
If you purchase it in full from Apple, it will be entirely unlocked and can be moved through carriers freely.

However, isn't there a carrier authorization for purchasing? That may only be for contract phones, though.

I dont think Apple would split the phones up again if there's the ability to have the same antenna in all models so I assume Apple will only have one model of iPhone 7, too.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014

Why in the world shouldn't the Verizon iPhone 7 work on T-Mobile? It does support the necessary frequencies.

If anything should be illegal here, it'd be having the stupid CDMA AND (the world's standard) GSM technology in the same country. 2 carriers a piece. That's the real joke here.

Unlocked means that the phone potentially works with all carriers and is not bound to a specific sim or network. This has nothing to do with the integrated modems, and which frequencies are supported and which are not.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The ATT and T-Mobile bands all look available whether you buy the ATT/T-Mobile model, or the Verizon/Sprint model. But the ATT/T-Mobile model doesn't support CDMA. Based on speculation, it probably means that the ATT/T-Mobile uses the Intel modem, which doesn't include CDMA.

So it is likely that the SIM Free model will, when sold, be the Verizon/Sprint model this year.

If the ATT model had been the better one, I would have switched to ATT today instead of Verizon postpaid.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
AT&T iPhone comes unlocked if purchased under an installment plan and will be unlocked once its paid for. If it's purchased outright At&t will unlock it for you and it WILL work with Verizon.

VERIZON iPhone comes unlocked and you can swap sims between carriers with no problems whatsoever. You can use your At&t sim and it will work just fine.

The only difference I can think of between SIM FREE and a Verizon or Att iPhone is the model number! that's it. They will still work between carriers.

I provided a link that REFUTES what you're saying in black-and-white. What's so hard about reading?

Once again: The SIM-FREE iPhone is MORE CAPABLE than the "unlocked" carrier-specific iPhones on sale at launch. It's a FACT. Why would Apple sell "sim-free" iPhones at all if what some of you are saying is true.

The SIM-FREE iPhone is the one worry-free, go-anywhere on any network iPhone. It's the one that will justifiably have a higher resale value because it will have the highest audience.

If you're tied to one carrier (e.g., Verizon) and you never leave the U.S., none of this applies to you.

I, however, prefer to get what I pay for when I pay full price.

Apple can, does, and will offer a go-anywhere iPhone. They just don't do it at launch.

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Well after some research:

With a 6s, there is only a single model. There is gsm or cdma phone, anymore. Only one and it supports all of the bands.
If you purchase it in full from Apple, it will be entirely unlocked and can be moved through carriers freely.

However, isn't there a carrier authorization for purchasing? That may only be for contract phones, though.

I dont think Apple would split the phones up again if the ability to have the antenna the same in all models so I assume Apple will only have one model of iPhone 7, too.
The GSM models are supposedly using Intel chips and the Verizon models are using Qualcomm chips. Supposedly Apple saves money because they no longer have to pay Qualcomm licensing costs for the non CMDA models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.