Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
The GSM models are supposedly using Intel chips and the Verizon models are using Qualcomm chips. Supposedly Apple saves money because they no longer have to pay Qualcomm licensing costs for the non CMDA models.

That's right! Thanks.

But still, I think it stands that if you pay full price, you'll get a SIM unlocked phone, right? They only lock it when bound to contracts or purchased through carrier?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Dear OP,
Regardless how right you are or may think you may be it is incredibly difficult to engage in an adult conversation with someone using the tone you are. Statements like "how hard is it to read" come off as nothing more other than aggressive.

At the end of the day I'm no longer sure what your point of posting here is. To tell everywhere they're stupider than you for buying phones before the sim free version is launched?

Maybe you don't mean to come off this way. I'm just here to tell you that's what's happening. And generally speaking threads get nowhere when the topic starter sounds like a pompous ass.

Gaura Mohana

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Gainesville, FL
I provided a link that REFUTES what you're saying in black-and-white. What's so hard about reading?

Once again: The SIM-FREE iPhone is MORE CAPABLE than the "unlocked" carrier-specific iPhones on sale at launch. It's a FACT. Why would Apple sell "sim-free" iPhones at all if what some of you are saying is true.

The SIM-FREE iPhone is the one worry-free, go-anywhere on any network iPhone. It's the one that will justifiably have a higher resale value because it will have the highest audience.

If you're tied to one carrier (e.g., Verizon) and you never leave the U.S., none of this applies to you.

I, however, prefer to get what I pay for when I pay full price.

Apple can, does, and will offer a go-anywhere iPhone. They just don't do it at launch.

WTF are you tripping about?

If I buy a Verizon iPhone 7 I can throw the VZW sim out and use it with VZW, and ANY GSM carrier in the world.

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
That's right! Thanks.

But still, I think it stands that if you pay full price, you'll get a SIM unlocked phone, right? They only lock it when bound to contracts or purchased through carrier?
Yes, I have purchased AT&T models full price from Apple before and they always come unlocked even if they are designated as for AT&T.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
I provided a link that REFUTES what you're saying in black-and-white. What's so hard about reading?

Once again: The SIM-FREE iPhone is MORE CAPABLE than the "unlocked" carrier-specific iPhones on sale at launch. It's a FACT. Why would Apple sell "sim-free" iPhones at all if what some of you are saying is true.

The SIM-FREE iPhone is the one worry-free, go-anywhere on any network iPhone. It's the one that will justifiably have a higher resale value because it will have the highest audience.

If you're tied to one carrier (e.g., Verizon) and you never leave the U.S., none of this applies to you.

Apple can, does, and will offer a go-anywhere iPhone. They just don't do it at launch.

Worrying about resale value on a phone is a terrible way to live. Why buy one anyway? Buy a flip phone and save all that money to start.

I've had every iPhone since 3G. Resale value on unlocked vs locked is minuscule. The market is saturated as is and most people don't switch carriers like they do underwear. It's of no consequence to most.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014

You are just wrong. This is NOT the case. Get the Verizon/Sprint one and you are good to go with all US Carriers and ALL GSM carriers that are listed for the GSM model, as they support the same LTE bands. Only difference is that the GSM model does not support CDMA, but the CDMA model does support GSM.
Only thing here that's crippled is your brain...

Reactions: Roar7 and Lilato

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
....what is going on here?

The CDMA/Verizon one is probably identical to the "sim-free" model.

Reactions: gim

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
WTF are you tripping about?

If I buy a Verizon iPhone 7 I can throw the VZW sim out and use it with VZW, and ANY GSM carrier in the world.
The OP is saying that the two phones don't support the same LTE bands. In theory you could put in a sim for s carrier that required a certain LTE band this hardware doesn't support.

There are better ways to go about pointing this out to us thigh. Instead we are all just stupid. I guess...

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
You are just wrong. This is NOT the case. Get the Verizon/Sprint one and you are good to go with all US Carriers

Ugh.

Okay, let's say one didn't want to read the link I provided and figure things out (apparently you included). Some inductive reasoning from the 6S order screen should lead you to a similar conclusion.

anycarrier.png

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

I don't need to read an article to know what I can do or not do with my iPhone. My wife has an AT&t iPhone 6 that is unlocked! and I have a Verizon iPhone 6s plus that is unlocked. I've used it with carriers in France, Spain, and Colombia (where I'm from) with no problem! I came back home in the US and I use it with no problem. I decided to switch my wife to Verizon from ATT, and she's now using her ATT iPhone with Verizon. So what would a SIM FREE iPhone do more for me than our iPhones are already doing???

Reactions: HiItsMe and gim

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan

You're still not explaining yourself well. Here, let me post for you.

The current unlocked option for iPhone 7 purchasers will not support CDMA. The sim free version will. So, the sim-free version will support CDMA, and the unlocked version available at launch will not.

You're losing your point in jargon like "more capable" and slightly confusing prose "not a phone that will run on any network" sounds too much like saying the phone doesn't run on any network. I'd have said "it won't run on every network." :)

simply put: the sim-free version that will be released after the "unlocked" version you'll be able to purchase at launch will support more networks.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't need to read an article to know what I can do or not do with my iPhone. My wife has an AT&t iPhone 6 that is unlocked! and I have a Verizon iPhone 6s plus that is unlocked. I've used it with carriers in France, Spain, and Colombia (where I'm from) with no problem! I came back home in the US and I use it with no problem. I decided to switch my wife to Verizon from ATT, and she's now using her ATT iPhone with Verizon. So what would a SIM FREE iPhone do more for me than our iPhones are already doing???
It's actually not an article. It's a list from Apple of which bands the devices support. Apparently this list doesn't mirror that of the iPhone 6 and 6s.

Long story short, if you want to be able to use Verizon, even if not in Verizon right now, just buy Verizon lol.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're still not explaining yourself well. Here, let me post for you.

The current unlocked option for iPhone 7 purchasers will not support CDMA. The sim free version will. So, the sim-free version will support CDMA, and the unlocked version available at launch will not.

You're losing your point in jargon like "more capable" and slightly confusing prose "not a phone that will run on any network" sounds too much like saying the phone doesn't run on any network.

simply put: the sim-free version that will be released after the "unlocked" version you'll be able to purchase at launch will support more networks.
Wouldn't the unlocked Verizon/Sprint version support that though?

protox

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Carlsbad, CA

Yes but now that won't be the case anymore if you were to buy the AT&T version. They reverted back to before the iPhone 6 ways.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
PC Magazine explains it partially:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492848,00.asp

But there's more to it than that when you look internationally.
[doublepost=1473295034][/doublepost]And here's another:

https://blog.gigsky.com/the-new-sim-free-iphone-6s-is-your-best-bet-as-a-global-traveler/

"The new SIM-free iPhone 6s has a secret something T-Mobile doesn’t have – bands, bands and more bands. Band 30, a particularly important one to the SIM-free model, is designed specifically to reduce LTE congestion in urban areas. Prior to the SIM-free iPhone 6s, AT&T was the only carrier with support for Band 30, so now we know what the fuss is about. No contracts, and a full-range device! The SIM-free iPhone 6s is the most capable smartphone on the market, built to jump onto any network, anytime, completely carrier-agnostic. Get your international SIM cards ready my friends!"

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Ugh.

Okay, let's say one didn't want to read the link I provided and figure things out (apparently you included). Some inductive reasoning from the 6S order screen should lead you to a similar conclusion.

View attachment 648999

Why are you wasting everyone's time?

The SIM-free iPhone 6s holds the A1633 model number, while the 6s Plus is model A1634.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-6s-iphone-6s-plus

51990d446c.png

Looks like the AT&T version IS THE EXACT MODEL as the SIM-FREE one.

THERE IS NO SPECIAL SIM-FREE MODEL. IT IS JUST THE AT&T VERSION WITH A DIFFERENT NAME.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Same goes for the Verizon "unlocked" model. Want to use it with T-Mobile? "Sorry, buddy."

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/

Oh man, can you just stop?

51990d446c.png

The Verizon/CDMA "unlocked" model (which every Verizon LTE phone is, per FCC regulations) works on GSM and CDMA carriers. Supports ALL LTE/GSM/HSPA bands for AT&T and T-Mobile.
[doublepost=1473295334][/doublepost]
:Sigh:

I'm done.

Why is that? Clearly, it seems you have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: HiItsMe and gim

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Apple does nothing to inform their customers on the differences which causes all this confusion. After 40 different posts there still isn't a solid answer on if an unlocked phone can be used with all carriers!!

Was there a date announced when the SIM Free phone would launch?

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
:Sigh:

I'm done.

Yeah, I guess so. Get your mental health checked, seriously. I don't know how many people have to explain this to you? You are wrong, you've been wrong with almost everything you wrote.

One post you're writing about the iPhone 7, next post you quote a source that's about the iPhone 6s and actually even CONFIRMS that the AT&T 6s is EXACTLY the same as your SIM-free model.

Tell you what, your SIM-free iPhone 7 will be the EXACT same thing as the Verizon/Sprint iPhone 7, and it will work on ALL carriers in the U.S. and abroad. The only difference is that there's no freaking SIM card included in the package!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
"The new SIM-free iPhone 6s has a secret something T-Mobile doesn’t have – bands, bands and more bands. Band 30, a particularly important one to the SIM-free model, is designed specifically to reduce LTE congestion in urban areas. Prior to the SIM-free iPhone 6s, AT&T was the only carrier with support for Band 30, so now we know what the fuss is about.

Thanks for making my point for me. The SIM-free 6s/6s+ carries the same model number as the AT&T one and is the same exact phone.

And why is B30 relevant when you keep mentioning world-phone?

Only one carrier in the whole entire world uses B30... AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.