Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Will it work not only in Argentina but in any country in the world, regardless of what SIM I put in?

Should be fine, yes!

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Looks like it has all the HSPA/GSM bands you need worldwide!

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I don't know why I have to explain this. I provided a link. Go read it.

Here's the short version: You buy an "unlocked" AT&T or T-Mobile phone at $900. Can you use it with Verizon? No! "But I thought it was unlocked," you say. "Carrier-unlocked, yeah," I say. "But it's not a phone you can use on any network."

Same goes for the Verizon "unlocked" model. Want to use it with T-Mobile? "Sorry, buddy."

There's even more to this story. You can read it yourself.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-7-iphone-7-plus

Check out the "sim-free" iPhone 6s models for comparison. Those are the ones that are truly "unlocked" as some of your are understanding this term. Those are the ones that work on every network, everywhere.

If you want that capability (and why not--you're paying big bucks for an unlocked phone), you gotta wait for the SIM-FREE iPhone 7.

It's a travesty. Should be illegal what they're doing.

Your posts are hilarious.

Just buy a Verizon or Sprint phone and you can use it on all 4.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Considering that the new iPhone isn't even on sale yet, who is to say that they won't offer the SIM-free model on day 1?

I think they are assuming it will be like last year, when sim-free didn't come out for another month.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

Here's the short version: You buy an "unlocked" AT&T or T-Mobile phone at $900. Can you use it with Verizon? No! "But I thought it was unlocked," you say. "Carrier-unlocked, yeah," I say. "But it's not a phone you can use on any network."

Same goes for the Verizon "unlocked" model. Want to use it with T-Mobile? "Sorry, buddy."

Check out the "sim-free" iPhone 6s models for comparison. Those are the ones that are truly "unlocked" as some of your are understanding this term. Those are the ones that work on every network, everywhere.

If you want that capability (and why not--you're paying big bucks for an unlocked phone), you gotta wait for the SIM-FREE iPhone 7.

Also just one things I've noticed when people take this tone that everyone else is an idiot and can't they read....
the idiot isn't us.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Bummer they reverted back because of the split broadband suppliers and as others said not wanting to pay CDMA royalties on the AT&T and T-Mobile versions.

Sure would be nice if they just offered a SIM Free version from the beginning. Seems likely that the Verizon version will be that phone this year, but wondering if there are going to be issues ordering that version if you aren't a Verizon customer.

chimelime

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Hmmm,

Seeing how I have no intentions on leaving T-mobile I'm completely okay with this.

As someone else said, quit worrying about re-sale value, you don't even own the phone yet.

Also, I'm assuming this will deter the huge influx of people that will be re-selling the phone immediately.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
All of this for band 30? They most likely incorperate this in every iPhone now... The only reason the AT&T model supported it was because AT&T was the only carrier on the planet to support it. And even if they don't - lol.

So really, the phones sold along side weren't crippled. But it did have extra...

The article that you posted states you can use the phones across any carrier and always could. You just didn't get a band used by a single carrier worldwide that offered minimal advantages

That was for the 6s and 6s Plus. They all have band 30 now:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Models A1660/A1661 are for Verizon & Sprint
Models A1778/A1784 are for AT&T & T-Mobile
Models A1779/A1785 are for Japan

We won't know until later which models will be the sim free version.

Last edited:
Reactions: theshoehorn

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I found this for GSM: http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html I didn't see an option for CDMA.

Says it's accurate as of the Aug 8th but I would obviously double check before travelling.

Thank you! Did some searching and it doesn't look like CDMA is widespread outside of the US and some countries that do have it are migrating off of it. So, I don't think I am too bothered by this, and will likely buy the ATT model.

Reactions: kupkakez

sr913

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
So to clarify here.....

I'm a T-mobile subscriber and am hoping to be able to resell my iPhone 7 in a year (or shortly thereafter) if Apple does something really big next year with the iPhone 7s/8/whatever.

Am I shooting myself in the foot in terms of being to resell it if I buy the "T-Mobile" version (instead of "sim free") right away from an Apple store? Or not?

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
What's the difference between unlocked and sim free? I always thought if it's unlocked, I can use it on any carrier?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I have an iPhone from att that I was able to unlock. I used it in Europe No problem. I just popped in a sim. Sure maybe if I needed to go to a country that had only cdma I couldn't but I'm sure almost all countries offer SIM card phones. This thread is dramatic. Unlocked associated with att is basically sim free. Do we even know they won't be able to use on cdma lines

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
So to clarify here.....

I'm a T-mobile subscriber and am hoping to be able to resell my iPhone 7 in a year (or shortly thereafter) if Apple does something really big next year with the iPhone 7s/8/whatever.

Am I shooting myself in the foot in terms of being to resell it if I buy the "T-Mobile" version (instead of "sim free") right away from an Apple store? Or not?

No, I've never had a problem selling the unlocked "T-Mobile" version. I will say resale values are not anything like they used to be so I wouldn't even worry about what you may get in the future for it.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Am I mistaken or is the so called "Sim Free" a phone just like any other that ships without a SIM and is not tied to any particular network. You just choose your provider and pick up a SIM from them when you decide who you want to use?

It costs more because the contract discount is not factored into the up front cost.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Am I mistaken or is the so called "Sim Free" a phone just like any other that ships without a SIM and is not tied to any particular network. You just choose your provider and pick up a SIM from them when you decide who you want to use?

It costs more because the contract discount is not factored into the up front cost.
the VZ and sprint versions have CDMA in addition to all the other air interfaces.
the ATT/tmobile versions don't have CDMA
different chips.
t

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
the VZ and sprint versions have CDMA in addition to all the other air interfaces.
the ATT/tmobile versions don't have CDMA
different chips.
t
THanks, but "Sim Free" is actually marketing speak for "no sim card included and not locked to any network" and does not mean no Sim required.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Why illegal? Looks likes it's documented on their website... As you point out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.