Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
As covered in this story at iClarified:

You Can Now Purchase an Unlocked iPhone X Without Carrier Activation From the Apple Online Store

Requires Full Payment right there and now.

Sim Free.jpg

U.S. Question.

I have AT&T now and plan on switching to Verizon after the New Year. I followed the instructions. I was forced to choose a carrier to get to the screen shown in the article.

(Yes, I chose "Activate Later", but only after saying Verizon.) At the very end, in the bag, I am prompting for payment.

So am I married to Verizon (only can activate on Verizon), or just married to CDMA?

I just bought two iPhone X's using my iPhone Apple Store iOS app (two transactions). I was not forced to activate them. There is NOTHING on the email, nor the online Apple Store order details about a carrier.

Also..

This was interesting (deep in the FAQ):
"Your iPhone will only be tied to your carrier if you choose carrier financing from AT&T or Sprint."

Another note.. I got my Apple Pay receipt a second ago. Note how the purchase notification only specifies the radio if you buy GSM (i.e. if it doesn't say GSM, you bought CDMA?).

For GSM it says: iPhone X 64GB Space Gray (GSM)

For CDMA it says: "iPhone X 256GB Space Gray"

(So there's a clue for you if you want to confirm you ordered CDMA.)

Nov 27 Update: Promised by December 20, Receiving around Dec 5.
Here is precisely what I got (first mention of Verizon in ordering process is when shipped)

PHONE X SPACE GRAY 64GB VZN-USA MQCK2LL/A $999.00
Options: iPhone Eligibility 065-0555 VERIZON UNSUBSIDIZED PHONE

Dec 19 Update
: I attempted to return this phone today. Since I received it (not bought it) during the "Holiday Return Period" (Nov 15 - Dec 15) I figured I was good to return it through Jan 15. NOPE. Apple online said "Not eligible for return". WTF?

I called Apple. After a 30 minute on-hold the Apple employee confirmed my information. Even though I hadn't opened the box, nor activated it, she had to get a supervisor, then Verizon on the phone. Verizon verified the phone hadn't been activated and "wasn't subsidized". Then they "let" me return it. Holiday or no Holiday, after 14 days you do not have the right to return your iPhone -- it's a privilege..

Happy ending though. Prepaid FedEx label via email.

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
It is not the sim free model yet technically, but in reality it is the same thing. You are not tied to CDMA, or a carrier. You can use on any carrier you want assuming you bought the Verizon model.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
It is not the sim free model yet technically, but in reality it is the same thing. You are not tied to CDMA, or a carrier. You can use on any carrier you want assuming you bought the Verizon model.

I see in this article there are 3 iPhone X's.
  • A1865 - "Global Phone" works on both GSM and CDMA
  • A1901 - "GSM" works with AT&T, T-Mobile, "as well as many other Europe and Asia countries"
  • A1902 - "Japan" Specific LTE bands 11, 21, and 42.
So which will I get? (I don't see it yet on my order. I expect the model will be shown when I get to the next phase ("Invoice").

I am guessing the "Verizon sim-free" one will be A1865, and the "AT&T sim-free" will be A1901?

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You might be tied to Verizon for CDMA, but open for GSM.

I'm doubtful it can be provisioned on Sprint if you wanted to. Verizon MVNO's might even have issues. e.g. you take a Verizon device to XM, volte and other stuff gets broken.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
You are correct.

So the "Verizon sim-free" model will be A1865. One of the 2 iPhone X's I ordered is for my daughter with AT&T. I could have chosen the "Verizon sim-free" and she could still activate on AT&T? ("A1865" radio will work with either GDM or CDMA?).

So I should cancel my order for the "AT&T sim free" model and go choose the "Verizon sim-free"
I would then have two "Verizon sim-free" (global) phones I can activate with any US Carrier?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
So the "Verizon sim-free" model will be A1865. One of the 2 iPhone X's I ordered is for my daughter with AT&T. I could have chosen the "Verizon sim-free" and she could still activate on AT&T? ("A1865" radio will work with either GDM or CDMA?).

So I should cancel my order for the "AT&T sim free" model and go choose the "Verizon sim-free"
I would then have two "Verizon sim-free" (global) phones I can activate with any US Carrier?

Yes, the Verizon one you ordered will work on any carrier, the At&t one you ordered will only work on At&t and T-Mobile. If you cancel that is up to you, if she is going to stay on At&t, it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: ClaveMan

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
As covered in this story at iClarified:

You Can Now Purchase an Unlocked iPhone X Without Carrier Activation From the Apple Online Store

Also..

This was interesting (deep in the FAQ):
"Your iPhone will only be tied to your carrier if you choose carrier financing from AT&T or Sprint."

(So there's a clue for you if you want to confirm you ordered CDMA.)

Umm I checked the Apple Store Online. It's not technically a carrier unlocked phone. All phones ATT/Verizon/Tmo/Sprint will all be unlocked if paid in full. If you buy a ATT unlocked phone, it is unlocked, but you can only use on ATT and/or T-Mobile network. Hence your quote above. I was able to replicate your purchase, but underneath the ATT purchased phone it had a link that said ATT and TMo only and will only work on GSM networks. I should and will not work on Verizon.

Since you bought two Xs, only the CDMA will work on Verizon. The actual sim-free unlocked phone is not on sale yet. I would assume it would come out early December. That is a full world phone and not a GSM only phone.

Reactions: ClaveMan

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Thank you Lobwedgephil and Appurushido.

I canceled my order for the GSM phone "AT&T sim-free".
I put in a new order for a "Verizon sim-free" phone.
The order says:

Ships: 2–3 weeks
Delivers: Dec 13 - Dec 20 by Standard Shipping

I an keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping for two "global" phones (A1865) models.

I assume A1865 covers both 64GB and 256GB (probably doesn't but I expect both to be Global since not GSM)

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
So there's a guy on the other forum stating something along the lines of "I am buying a dozen "Verizon sim-free" phones from Apple. I'll sell them for 3 times that (overseas) !!.

Should we all be doing this today? (If these truly are unlocked A1865 "global" models, the delivery will be pushed out past Dec 25 pretty dang quick..)

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I bought my 2nd X a week ago for AT&T and they gave me an A1865. Should I have not got the A1901?
Did you pay Full Price and provide AT&T account information and did it come with an AT&T nano-SIM pre-installed?

It does not really matter which model they sold you since both models work on AT&T. The Apple store reps can pull any device from store inventory and activate it to any compatible Carrier. Just like the Genius bar warranty units can be activated for use any valid carrier during initial setup based on the model.

Dave

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Did you pay Full Price and provide AT&T account information and did it come with an AT&T nano-SIM pre-installed?

It does not really matter which model they sold you since both models work on AT&T. The Apple store reps can pull any device from store inventory and activate it to any compatible Carrier. Just like the Genius bar warranty units can be activated for use any valid carrier during initial setup based on the model.

Dave

I do not know. I allowed them to change the SIM cards while I was talking with the geek about the new iMac Pros. I had removed the SIM from my 8+ and gave it to the Geek. They brought my phone back and it was wanting my Apple ID and passcode. I would never allow anyone to do this but was taken back by the new iMac which I do not need:( but want!

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I bought my 2nd X a week ago for AT&T and they gave me an A1865. Should I have not got the A1901?

It's highly unlikely you did get a CDMA phone if it was ATT carrier based. But if that was the case, you got lucky. You can check by having a friend, coworker or someone who know has Verizon, borrow their sim-card and see if it works.

But as mentioned, if you did get a CDMA phone with ATT carrier, which I am skeptical, I congratulate you on that luck.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It's highly unlikely you did get a CDMA phone if it was ATT carrier based. But if that was the case, you got lucky. You can check by having a friend, coworker or someone who know has Verizon, borrow their sim-card and see if it works.

But as mentioned, if you did get a CDMA phone with ATT carrier, which I am skeptical, I congratulate you on that luck.
@Newtons Apple did not get a CDMA/GSF with AT&T carrier, they got a Verizon Model. No need to try a Verizon nano-SIM, it will work even if the iPhone X is a GSM only model A1901. Everyone needs to remember that Verizon had LTE just like AT&T / T-Mobile. Trying a different carrier nano-SIM today really only tests if the device is Carrier Locked or Unlocked.

This type of device swap happens based on the Apple Store's individual policy, some don't like to cross Carrier versions while others just want a happy customer! I have had it happen for me twice since the original iPhone, once on iPhone 4 and again for my iPhone 7 both times in the same Apple Store.

Dave

Reactions: predation

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
@Newtons Apple did not get a CDMA/GSF with AT&T carrier, they got a Verizon Model. No need to try a Verizon nano-SIM, it will work even if the iPhone X is a GSM only model A1901. Everyone needs to remember that Verizon had LTE just like AT&T / T-Mobile. Trying a different carrier nano-SIM today really only tests if the device is Carrier Locked or Unlocked.

This type of device swap happens based on the Apple Store's individual policy, some don't like to cross Carrier versions while others just want a happy customer! I have had it happen for me twice since the original iPhone, once on iPhone 4 and again for my iPhone 7 both times in the same Apple Store.

Dave

I was basing it before he mentioned he confirmed he had the CDMA model. And if he didn't, then a good way to check was to use a Verizon nano-sim to check. Normally you are not supposed to get a CDMA phone if you go with ATT (possibly ATT rules or request to Apple), but as you mentioned, it's a store by store policy.

Those who do get a CDMA phone under ATT got lucky. I have had a friend request to get one (CDMA version) when he bought his X with ATT carrier and the Apple employee said it was store policy (assuming that store only) to only sell GSM phones with ATT. Not all Apple stores are nice as yours. So I say lucky you or however you want to word that out. Congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.