Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJustiney

Suspended
Nov 15, 2017
So the "Verizon sim-free" model will be A1865. One of the 2 iPhone X's I ordered is for my daughter with AT&T. I could have chosen the "Verizon sim-free" and she could still activate on AT&T? ("A1865" radio will work with either GDM or CDMA?).

So I should cancel my order for the "AT&T sim free" model and go choose the "Verizon sim-free"
I would then have two "Verizon sim-free" (global) phones I can activate with any US Carrier?

Yes the verizon sim-free iphone x works perfect with GSM sim cards. My verizon 6s plus is the same. I have both

Reactions: ClaveMan

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
People have been able to buy an unlocked Verizon A1865 since launch day and use it on ATT, as long as they walked into the Apple store to buy it, since you had to declare your carrier if pre-ordering online.

This is as close to SIM free as you get right now. The Model MQA92LL/A and the MQCP2LL/A are both the same phone, an unlocked A1865, with the only difference being the lack of Verizon SIM card.

When I waited in line at the Apple Store on launch day I got the last 256GB Verizon MQCP2LL/A aka A1865 in stock. I popped the SIM out of my ATT iPhone 6 and into the iPhone X, replacing the Verizon SIM that came with the phone, and it activated just fine on ATT.

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Wow it is the Sim-Free model for Silver 256 GB but Apple Store in U.S doesn't sell them yet.
Yes Apple Store app is selling unlocked phones. No need to pay through the nose on eBay or amazon (third party) if you can wait until
Mid December. You have to pick a carrier and then select to pay in full. The carrier pick is a “dummy” as long as you follow the directions on first post above on this thread.

I ordered 3 iPhone’s through the iPhone Apple Store app yesterday. I won’t know for sure if they are unlocked until I hold the boxes, but the Apple Order details show No sign of a carrier (good sign).

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
You can also select them for pickup. No carrier required, just pick your phone. I tested the OP's ordering process. It works.

This was NOT the case at launch, because you were forced to activate it on a line in advance even with in store pickup. You couldn't even add a line, it had to be an existing line.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
You can also select them for pickup. No carrier required, just pick your phone. I tested the OP's ordering process. It works.

This was NOT the case at launch, because you were forced to activate it on a line in advance even with in store pickup. You couldn't even add a line, it had to be an existing line.

However, I waited in line at Apple on launch day and I bought an unlocked Verizon 256GB X, despite having all my lines with ATT. It was only when buying online that I could not select a Verizon phone when I had an ATT account.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yes Apple Store app is selling unlocked phones. No need to pay through the nose on eBay or amazon (third party) if you can wait until
Mid December. You have to pick a carrier and then select to pay in full. The carrier pick is a “dummy” as long as you follow the directions on first post above on this thread.

I ordered 3 iPhone’s through the iPhone Apple Store app yesterday. I won’t know for sure if they are unlocked until I hold the boxes, but the Apple Order details show No sign of a carrier (good sign).
Technically Apple.com in U.S. don't have "True" Sim free model out yet. So you are left with buying a carrier model device. As long as you pay in full it is unlocked. And you have the option to activate later meaning they don't ask you to input your carrier info. Doesn't necessarily means it's Sim free because they still come with a carrier SIM inside.

Last edited:

Garyhe23

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Is it the best time to buy a Verizon iPhone X by 24 month payment, because the real sim free will not allow pay in 24 month?

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
All phones sold by apple in the UK are sim free models, why not the US as well from launch ?

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
One thing I am not clear on, if I purchase the Verizon iPhone X in the US from apple online store, don't activate it, will it work with Sprint in the USA? Asking because I don't live in the USA, but my daughter is there, and I want to buy it for her (and deliver to her address) as a present. She has a plan with Sprint. I don't want to make a mistake, does anyone know 100% if it will work? Also, when she visits in Europe, I would like this phone to work on GSM European networks with European SIM cards.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
All Verizon LTE phones are GSM unlocked, regardless of where you purchase the phone, even if you purchase directly from a Verizon store.
The FTC forced that requirement on Verizon when they (the FTC) granted Verizon the LTE bands.

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
OK but what about CDMA, isn’t Sprint on CDMA? Sorry if my question is stupid, I am not very familiar with USA bands.

It should work, I have used the VZW version on ATT and T-Mobile, and it worked fine. Haven’t used it on Sprint, but the same principle applies.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
OK but what about CDMA, isn’t Sprint on CDMA? Sorry if my question is stupid, I am not very familiar with USA bands.
If your daughter is using Sprint, it would be best to purchase the Sprint version. Yes, the Verizon version will also physically work on Sprint but Sprint would have to add the ESN number to their system and that is often not very easy!

Sprint has been terrible about adding devices that are not originally Sprint versions. This means the ESN number would already be white listed to work on Sprint and also have a Sprint GSM nano-SIM already installed. The reps often say it will not work since it has not been tested to work with Sprint or they will say the Sprint version is special. Both of which are outright lies.

Now about your question about your daughter being able to user her Sprint iPhone X in Europe. Be default the Sprint iPhone would be locked to prevent GSM usage. If you purchase from Apple and pay full price than any of the different carrier versions would be unlocked. You can double check during the online order process, it will indicate the device is unlocked and include a Spring nano-SIM.

Dave

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
People have been able to buy an unlocked Verizon A1865 since launch day and use it on ATT, as long as they walked into the Apple store to buy it, since you had to declare your carrier if pre-ordering online.

This is as close to SIM free as you get right now. The Model MQA92LL/A and the MQCP2LL/A are both the same phone, an unlocked A1865, with the only difference being the lack of Verizon SIM card.

When I waited in line at the Apple Store on launch day I got the last 256GB Verizon MQCP2LL/A aka A1865 in stock. I popped the SIM out of my ATT iPhone 6 and into the iPhone X, replacing the Verizon SIM that came with the phone, and it activated just fine on ATT.
my X is MQCL2LL/A,A1865 and paid it full with verizon sim and currently using it on straight talk.why is yours is different?

joderme

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I'm trying to remember if I buy a Verizon A1865 at full price and put an ATT sim in it, if it will lock to ATT. I know it shouldn't since it was paid in full. I've had a problem with an full price Verizon iPhone 7 plus in the past that was used on AT&T that was purchased from BestBuy. It is locked to AT&T and I cannot request to device unlock on ATT's online portal as the IMEI can't be found.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'm trying to remember if I buy a Verizon A1865 at full price and put an ATT sim in it, if it will lock to ATT. I know it shouldn't since it was paid in full. I've had a problem with an full price Verizon iPhone 7 plus in the past that was used on AT&T that was purchased from BestBuy. It is locked to AT&T and I cannot request to device unlock on ATT's online portal as the IMEI can't be found.
That’s if you buy it from Best Buy/Target/Walmart. But if you insert the Verizon SIM card first and then activate it then it will not lock the device.If you purchase out right at the Apple store then it will remain unlocked.

Reactions: joderme

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
If your daughter is using Sprint, it would be best to purchase the Sprint version. Yes, the Verizon version will also physically work on Sprint but Sprint would have to add the ESN number to their system and that is often not very easy!

Sprint has been terrible about adding devices that are not originally Sprint versions. This means the ESN number would already be white listed to work on Sprint and also have a Sprint GSM nano-SIM already installed. The reps often say it will not work since it has not been tested to work with Sprint or they will say the Sprint version is special. Both of which are outright lies.

Now about your question about your daughter being able to user her Sprint iPhone X in Europe. Be default the Sprint iPhone would be locked to prevent GSM usage. If you purchase from Apple and pay full price than any of the different carrier versions would be unlocked. You can double check during the online order process, it will indicate the device is unlocked and include a Spring nano-SIM.

Dave
Thanks for the detailed information. I may be getting more confused... let me state what I understood:
1. If I pay the phone in full (which is my intention) then it will be GSM unlocked, but CDMA locked to the selected US carrier.
2. Since my daughter has a plan with Sprint, it will be best to pick the Sprint version from apple. It will then work in the US for Sprint, and be GSM unlocked, and can be used in Europe/World by simply inserting a sim card. There will be no restrictions on this.

Is my understanding right? I don't want to make a $1K mistake.

joderme

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
That’s if you buy it from Best Buy/Target/Walmart. But if you insert the Verizon SIM card first and then activate it then it will not lock the device.If you purchase out right at the Apple store then it will remain unlocked.

I really couldn't remember. I knew it was something funky. So if an unlocked Verizon X is purchased from the Apple Store, it shouldn't matter what order the SIM cards are put in. Thanks.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I really couldn't remember. I knew it was something funky. So if an unlocked Verizon X is purchased from the Apple Store, it shouldn't matter what order the SIM cards are put in. Thanks.
Correct, if purchased directly from Apple, Verizon models will remain unlocked even if you stick in the AT&T Sim card first.

Reactions: joderme

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Kinda' the norm here in the UK - few people in their right mind would acquire a phone from a carrier as part of a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.