Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
my X is MQCL2LL/A,A1865 and paid it full with verizon sim and currently using it on straight talk.why is yours is different?

it's the same, and works with most CMDA and GSM carriers like Verizon, Sprint, ATT, and T-mobile, as well as brands using those networks. If I'd bought the ATT model, with Intel modem, my phone could only work with GSM networks like ATT and T-Mo. This way if we change networks I can bring my own phone with me to any new provider.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Did you pay Full Price and provide AT&T account information and did it come with an AT&T nano-SIM pre-installed?

It does not really matter which model they sold you since both models work on AT&T. The Apple store reps can pull any device from store inventory and activate it to any compatible Carrier. Just like the Genius bar warranty units can be activated for use any valid carrier during initial setup based on the model.

Dave
Possible to request a cdma phone for iUP if on a gsm carrier?

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
The Model MQA92LL/A and the MQCP2LL/A are both the same phone, an unlocked A1865, with the only difference being the lack of Verizon SIM card..
The confirmation is finally in.
At order time through my phone, I had to say Verizon, then pay full price and said I would activate later..."
This is the model on it's way from China: MQCK2LL/A

Here is EveryMac.com specs on the MQCK2LL/A
Apple iPhone X (Verizon/Sprint/China/A1865) 64, 256 GB

Looks good? Take to any carrier? No marriage to Verizon?

Promised by December 20, Receiving around Dec 5.
Here is precisely Apple is telling me on shipment (not at order time)
PHONE X SPACE GRAY 64GB VZN-USA MQCK2LL/A $999.00
Options: iPhone Eligibility 065-0555 VERIZON UNSUBSIDIZED PHONE

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The confirmation is finally in.
At order time through my phone, I had to say Verizon, then pay full price and said I would activate later..."
This is the model on it's way from China: MQCK2LL/A

Here is EveryMac.com specs on the MQCK2LL/A
Apple iPhone X (Verizon/Sprint/China/A1865) 64, 256 GB

Looks good? Take to any carrier? No marriage to Verizon?

Promised by December 20, Receiving around Dec 5.
Here is precisely Apple is telling me on shipment (not at order time)
PHONE X SPACE GRAY 64GB VZN-USA MQCK2LL/A $999.00
Options: iPhone Eligibility 065-0555 VERIZON UNSUBSIDIZED PHONE

I bought a 256GB MQCP2LL/A Verizon A1865 at the Apple Store on launch day 11/3/17. I removed the unactivated Verizon SIM and then popped my AT&T SIM into it, and it activated when I turned it on. Then I restored my backup to it, and it's been working fine on AT&T since day one.

Reactions: ClaveMan

fernando7

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2017
I bought a 256GB MQCP2LL/A Verizon A1865 at the Apple Store on launch day 11/3/17. I removed the unactivated Verizon SIM and then popped my AT&T SIM into it, and it activated when I turned it on. Then I restored my backup to it, and it's been working fine on AT&T since day one.
If I do the first boot in India with my activated Indian sim, will the iphone get activated?, or I need to first activate in US with any sim and then I can use it in India?

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
If I do the first boot in India with my activated Indian sim, will the iphone get activated?, or I need to first activate in US with any sim and then I can use it in India?

My understanding is that if you buy the phone directly from Apple or Verizon then it won't lock to the first carrier you try. But if you buy the phone from somewhere like BestBuy.com you get a universal phone that will lock to the first carrier you try, unless that carrier is Verizon. Regardless, it will activate on your Indian SIM. Whether it locks or not depends on where you buy the phone.

Verizon has agreed that in order to use some of it's LTE bands (I think it was band 13) it can't lock any of their LTE phones to Verizon. That's why the BestBuy phone won't lock to the first carrier if it's Verizon.

I watched Youtube video last night that T-mobile phones also didn't lock to T-mobile. I saw that the T-mobile phone was working on T-Mo and then he swapped SIM cards and it worked on Verizon LTE, it just didn't work on Verizon 2G and 3G CMDA service.

I don't have another carrier's SIM to try, and if I did try another SIM other than my ATT SIM, then my iMessage might try to add that phone number to my account, so I'm afraid to try it. If you are worried, you could wait another few weeks for Apple to release the SIM free version, but I think it's highly unlikely that everyone online is wrong about the Apple supplied iPhones and no lock.

This confirms some of what I am saying - https://www.imore.com/how-buy-iphone-x-unlocked
[doublepost=1512245720][/doublepost]Also, this link helps (as of Nov 22 2017) https://www.techwalls.com/buy-factory-unlocked-iphone-x-america/

To get an unlocked universal iPhone X online you must already have an active Verizon or Sprint phone line (not post-paid account), and if you buy it from Apple it will be unlocked to use with any carrier, including your Indian SIM.

If you have a friend with an account and they don't plan to buy one and agree to help you, then you can use their Verizon or Sprint phone number to order online. It will have to ship to the address on their Sprint or Verizon account.

The only other option is to have someone walk into the store and buy one, like I did. You don't need to have an active phone line to buy a Verizon universal model with CDMA and GSM in store, and it will work with any SIM around the world. And it won't lock to the first SIM you try.

Online reports are that ONLY phones bought from BestBuy that are SIM free were being locked to the first carrier you try, but they still worked with any carrier around the world, as long as you didn't try to activate it with another carrier first (Verizon being the exception).

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
To get an unlocked universal iPhone X online you must already have an active Verizon or Sprint phone line (not post-paid account), and if you buy it from Apple it will be unlocked to use with any carrier, including your Indian SIM.

Online reports are that ONLY phones bought from BestBuy that are SIM free were being locked to the first carrier you try, but they still worked with any carrier around the world, as long as you didn't try to activate it with another carrier first (Verizon being the exception).

Just to clarify here, it's no longer the case with apple.com. You can now choose "Activate Later" and proceed to check out without having to enter any carrier info, so you don't need to have an active Carrier plan/line to order one.

Reactions: p4p4t

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just to clarify here, it's no longer the case with apple.com. You can now choose "Activate Later" and proceed to check out without having to enter any carrier info, so you don't need to have an active Carrier plan/line to order one.

I did try to clarify "as of Nov 22 2017" as I hadn't checked on the status of the policy (to only sell phone to an active line on apple.com) since that time.

BradWI

Suspended
Aug 29, 2011
FYI, the “true” SIM-free version is now for sale on apple.com. No carrier selection needed.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I understand wanting to get the carrier folks first but, they should have offered this at launch like the 8/8+

the confusion alone for consumers, "if I pay full price will it be unlocked? which model do I want for blah blah blah blah"

My intel A1901 contract free unlocked is getting singled out quick! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.