Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Hey guys!

Wanted an opinion on what happened to me this weekend.

Went in to the Apple store downtown Montreal Canada to replace the battery. Wanted to do this before the discount ends in January.

Prefacing this with the fact that the phone is just over a year old, has never been dropped or had more water on it than using in light rain.

The genius took the phone and said to return after 2 hours, standard practice. Upon arriving back to pick it up, was met with a quick shot of water damage (some rust) to the underside (phone frame) of the Taptic Engine but no tripped sensors. They said they can’t work on it, this is fair so left.

Upon arriving home it was realized that the Taptic Engine is now broken! There are no vibrations, no home button or force touch feedback, nothing. They did not tell me this when I left the store.

Calling Apple support ends in a redirection to the store. Going to the store, a manager was all too happy to accept $500 for a complete replacement.

Am I out of options? If it had not of been brought in, the phone would still be fully functional. They are hiding behind the fact that this “could’ve” happened with time, though clearly them opening it significantly sped up that process.

What are their policies on leaving with a phone in worse condition than when it was brought in?

Thanks!

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Why didn’t you check the phone out before you left the store in the first place? That’s what I would do. I don’t trust Apple some of times and this is why I check my Apple products thoroughly before I leave the store.

What do you mean it was met with a quick shot of water damage to the underside?

Reactions: a-m-k

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
That should’ve been the case but was late for other things and just left.

Quick shot meaning picture on their iPad of the damage but he showed me for a very brief time.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Your phone was dropped in water and apple broke it?

Sounds like bad luck of it breaking right at the wrong moment.

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Your phone was dropped in water and apple broke it?

Sounds like bad luck of it breaking right at the wrong moment.

It was never dropped in water but yes it is bad luck that it broke while they had it with them. The main part being “while they had it with them”. I’ve also seen countless videos of battery replacements where they do not remove the Taptic Engine.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
I would go in store and make a fuss about. Be firm but polite. Explain that the phone was in working order when they got it. The employees are required to keep notes of the phone condition upon getting it from you. Ask to see the notes.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
I would go in store and make a fuss about. Be firm but polite. Explain that the phone was in working order when they got it. The employees are required to keep notes of the phone condition upon getting it from you. Ask to see the notes.

when i went to get my battery replaced 2 weeks ago they did a diagnostics test even testing the speakers because the genius said "ppl will come back and say something is broken after the fact, when it was broken when we got it, so this checks all the hardware"

so the OP should go back and ask to see this..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It was never dropped in water but yes it is bad luck that it broke while they had it with them. The main part being “while they had it with them”. I’ve also seen countless videos of battery replacements where they do not remove the Taptic Engine.

So take your phone and go back to the store, request the store manager, explain your situation and see what they decide is the best resolution. If Apple did something that they are in the wrong for, they _will_ make it right, but you’re going to have to specifically show them what your iPhone is doing now that it wasn’t before.

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks everyone for the input!

Went back to the store and spoke with a manager. He placed me with a genius while he finished another task. This genius ended up “sabotaging” the situation. To our faces he said there’s nothing he can do, but the manager has discretion. But when the manager came back he would discourage any alternate course of action other than a full phone replacement of $500. Whenever the manager started to think of a solution the genius reiterated that we only had that option... Genius even said we could trade it in at full value for an XR, despite the “water damage”.

We almost had the manager accept us paying the Taptic Engine replacement OOW fee but instead replacing the entire phone (because they can’t replace one part of a “water damaged” phone, fair). Then the Genius shot that down, as the manager left the Genius reiterated that it’s at the discretion of a manager to make special decisions.

This was exhausting so we left. I remember the days when real issues were handled well at the Apple Store. Now it just feels like I’m at BestBuy.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017

Went back to the store and spoke with a manager. He placed me with a genius while he finished another task. This genius ended up “sabotaging” the situation. To our faces he said there’s nothing he can do, but the manager has discretion. But when the manager came back he would discourage any alternate course of action other than a full phone replacement of $500. Whenever the manager started to think of a solution the genius reiterated that we only had that option... Genius even said we could trade it in at full value for an XR, despite the “water damage”.

We almost had the manager accept us paying the Taptic Engine replacement OOW fee but instead replacing the entire phone (because they can’t replace one part of a “water damaged” phone, fair). Then the Genius shot that down, as the manager left the Genius reiterated that it’s at the discretion of a manager to make special decisions.

This was exhausting so we left. I remember the days when real issues were handled well at the Apple Store. Now it just feels like I’m at BestBuy.

Sucks. Why didn’t you ask the manager to speak to him in private?

Trade in at full value for an XR is what? $275 worth? Nope. Not a good deal for breaking your phone.

Did you ask to see the notes of your previous visit?

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017

Why don't you tell the manager you'll file a lawsuit if they don't give you the working phone you first gave them?

Reactions: hexagenia

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
They broke my 8 plus last month and gave me a new 8 plus. There’s rotten apples anywhere. There’s great apple employees and not so great and a bunch of them in between.

Reactions: prizestuff

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
They'll tell you to read the work authorization that OP signed. And then welcome you to file a lawsuit.

I was thinking that but when you read section 2 of the authorization:

2.If service is needed due to failure of parts that are not original to the product or due to damage caused by abuse, misuse or any external cause, Apple reserves the right to return the product to you without servicing it, and may hold you responsible for any indicated diagnostic fee. Apple will not be responsible for any damage to the product that occurs during the repair process that is a result of any unauthorized modifications or repairs or replacements not performed by Apple or an AASP. If damage results, Apple will seek your authorization for any additional costs for completing service even if the product is covered by warranty or an AppleCare service plan. If you decline authorization, Apple may return your product unrepaired in the damaged condition without any responsibility.

It only says if service is needed, which it was not for the Taptic Engine, until they damaged it. This was also not the service signed for.

Under damage, they only say they’re not responsible for “any unauthorized modifications or repairs or replacements not performed by Apple or an AASP”.

The whole situation is unfortunate, honestly I wish the battery discount was over and didn’t entice us to try and extend the phones life.

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Let’s sue Apple even tho it’s ops fault that there’s water damage.

America!!!!

Actually I’m in Canada :)

We honestly don’t know where the water damage came from, but if you would like to place that on us you can.

Now, considering neither party knew the phone was in such a condition, the fact that it broke while in their possession, opening and closing the device, puts that on them.

I know that they have to open it to inspect and replace the battery, by accepting it from us they assumed that responsibility. I’m not allowed to personally open it before taking to them for ensuring no damage.

Called Apple for the third time today and they were more interested in helping. CR setup another appointment at the store for a replacement, will update if that goes through as planned!

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Actually I’m in Canada :)

We honestly don’t know where the water damage came from, but if you would like to place that on us you can.

Now, considering neither party knew the phone was in such a condition, the fact that it broke while in their possession, opening and closing the device, puts that on them.

I know that they have to open it to inspect and replace the battery, by accepting it from us they assumed that responsibility. I’m not allowed to personally open it before taking to them for ensuring no damage.

Called Apple for the third time today and they were more interested in helping. CR setup another appointment at the store for a replacement, will update if that goes through as planned!

point is, apple really has no reason to screw you over.

they just wasted their time and got $0 out of it because you didn't get a battery replacement due to the water damage.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
point is, apple really has no reason to screw you over.

they just wasted their time and got $0 out of it because you didn't get a battery replacement due to the water damage.
They broke the phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.