Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Another reason to prove Apple at store level is a crooked business.

Well, at the very least, if the taptic engine can be fixed and the only thing Apple is willing to do is replace the phone, it's another reason why we need more laws on the side of consumers and third-party repair shops. And it's also another example that Apple isn't as green they claim to be, or can be.

Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Seals degrade over time.

QC issues according to who? Random internet posts?

Yes. Some iphone 8s are poorly manufactured and get water damage when others don't, but given their IP rating, they shouldn't.
[doublepost=1544777650][/doublepost]
The bottom of the phone has a barometric vent. That vent leads directly to the Taptic Engine.
So... "you submerged it wrong"?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Probably not relevant, but I brought my iPhone X in last weekend to have the battery replaced voluntarily. Got home after picking up the phone and the Taptic Engine was broken. Brought it back and they ended up having to replace it. It is possible someone messed up working on it, just saying.

It'S why I do not fall for the "refubs are like new" stories. Best chances for correct assembly and water resistance comes from the factory and not someone who has to open up the device to fix.

Last edited:

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
It'S why I do not fall for the "refubs are like new" stories. Best chances for correct assembly and water resistance comes from the factory and not someone who has to open up the device to fix.

And believe me, I thought long and hard about that. My iPhone X battery capacity was at 87% after 1 year. For comparison, my wife has an over 2 year old iPhone 7 at 94% and my brothers iPhone X bought the same day as mine is at 98% so I ultimately decided paying the $29 was worth them opening the phone. Turns out they had to open it another time to replace the Taptic Engine as well. Hopefully the seals were done right.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
These types of threads are always interesting. For some reason I feel like we aren't getting the complete story.

As others have stated multiple times, Apple has nothing to gain by breaking your phone while working on it and not offering to make the situation right.

Reactions: Never mind

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Not Apple per se, but the manager. For him it's easier and faster to just fix or replace the device they broke than having to go through all of the burdens of a legal dispute even if they'd win.
The moment "lawsuit" is mentioned, the Apple store manager has 0 power. They are trained to send the customer to Apple Legal, and not handle any further interactions or solutions. I worked there several years back in a management related role.

Reactions: akash.nu

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These types of threads are always interesting. For some reason I feel like we aren't getting the complete story.

As others have stated multiple times, Apple has nothing to gain by breaking your phone while working on it and not offering to make the situation right.
It doesn't mean that they won't simply follow standard operating procedures that can be fairly cut and dry.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Hmmm, well they have. That store has to foot the bill and the employees performance will be judged against a loss like that. If they can get you to spend £500 on a replacement then it’s good for them. It is possible to encounter a complete idiot working in one of these stores too.

Reactions: Azzin and netdudeuk

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010

That’s exactly why we were frustrated, but the employees are simply following policy. This is fair to them and completely within their right, though it goes against the ideology Apple has, or would like us to believe they have, as a company.

They were following a formula of => See water damage => Phone is blacklisted => Phone must be replaced for $500

This would be completely great, actually I would’ve preferred it had the phone been returned in its original working condition. Less waste, no loss, no iTunes backups and restores. Unfortunately it was not, and Delilah at AppleCare agreed.

We went to the store today and they were quick to pull up the file and see an authorization to do the swap free of charge. Total appointment was less than ten minutes and very smooth. Apple has made up for the issue more than we could expect!

Thanks everyone for the input, we’re glad it was resolved amicably. Many lessons learned

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Hmmm, well they have. That store has to foot the bill and the employees performance will be judged against a loss like that. If they can get you to spend £500 on a replacement then it’s good for them. It is possible to encounter a complete idiot working in one of these stores too.
I think the point I was trying to make was that we are accepting for fact what the OP is telling us. There was "no water damage and taptic engine was working" Hard for me to believe that an Apple employee caused water damage and broke the taptic engine...

I had a buddy who worked at an Apple store, he has 100's of stories about customers trying to blame phone problems on Apple employees.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think the point I was trying to make was that we are accepting for fact what the OP is telling us. There was "no water damage and taptic engine was working" Hard for me to believe that an Apple employee caused water damage and broke the taptic engine...

I had a buddy who worked at an Apple store, he has 100's of stories about customers trying to blame phone problems on Apple employees.
I don’t think anybody is suggesting an Apple employee caused corrosion on the taptic engine but there is also no proof from what we have been told that the corrosion is any way linked with the broken component. It could just be completely unrelated too.

prizestuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010

I don’t think I ever stated that they caused the water damage. However it got there, it was there and I’m not denying that. I’m only saying that I walked in with a perfectly working iPhone 8, and walked out with an iPhone 8 that didn’t vibrate. I would not doubt that that basic ‘story’ would reflect what they’d have to say too.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don’t think I ever stated that they caused the water damage. However it got there, it was there and I’m not denying that. I’m only saying that I walked in with a perfectly working iPhone 8, and walked out with an iPhone 8 that didn’t vibrate. I would not doubt that that basic ‘story’ would reflect what they’d have to say too.

Well the bottom line is that's your story, and they have their story. No clue who's story is right so ultimately it's up to them. You are free to pursue legal action against Apple if you'd like and let a judge decide who's right.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018

This happened 100% the same with me. 7 Plus developed a barely noticeable screen issue, otherwise fully functional. They were going to fix it for free, when they opened it, water damage. Repair denied.

Not that they advertise that ****ing thing as being water-resistant, but whatever. I had indeed put it under running water to see if it was indeed water resistant....

Anyway, after that 3D touch no longer worked. Only noticed it some days later, because I rarely ever use 3D touch. What do you do in these cases?

Apple used to go above and beyond in these cases, now they'll just say you're SOL.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well the bottom line is that's your story, and they have their story. No clue who's story is right so ultimately it's up to them. You are free to pursue legal action against Apple if you'd like and let a judge decide who's right.

That’s good advice and one I’d take. Not sure about other countries but in the UK it would cost £75 to take this to a small claims court and he’d likely win as companies find it easier just to pay up than send someone along. You’d get a replacement device and your fee back most likely.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As I mentioned, there is no way Apple would not replace the phone for the OP, because they can’t prove that the phone was not broken from the OP when they left it with Apple and it inexplicably was not vibrating when they left the store, which places the responsibility in Apples hands. Apple handled this exactly how it should have been, and replaced the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.