Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My iPhone 7 is throttled

• Total voters

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Still quite a bit nonetheless which can certainly play into the overall health of the battery (even if the capacity part of it might not be as heavily hit).
It’s that high because iOS 11 is going to end up destroying all the batteries on older phones with crazy battery drain which Apple doesn’t want to fix because they want everyone of em to upgrade.

Reactions: d5aqoëp

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
It seems like my cpu clock speed on my X is under but with heavy load it would go up to 2.376

Would someone else confirm cpu clock frequency 2064 as a resting base?
That seems perfectly normal and makes perfect common sense how a processor should work. When idle why would you want a processor running full speed/power? You wouldn't. It doesn't. Under load when it's fully woken up sure you'll get the high frequency. It's all about the race to sleep to save power. Everyone keeps freaking out about their processor speed at any given second! It's not always going to be the same or running at the full power at all times!

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It’s being said charging twice a day is a bit high. It’s not based on my experience with a 7 Plus. On iOS 10 it used to last 1 and a half days. On iOS 11 it barely lasts till 3pm. So obviously charge cycles are high.

Ah. My 7 Plus lasts about 1.5-2 days if I run it to zero (which I try to avoid, as it’s also bad for the battery), depending on how much music I listen to (stream + BT earphones tends to use up more juice). Been that way in iOS 10 and 11 so I’m not seeing any of this ”crazy battery drain” that’s going to cause increased battery wear.

I can’t claim that it doesn’t happen, of course; I’m a sample of one. I do believe that there are big differences in how people use their phones, however, and in network quality, that account for a lot of the variance in how often one needs to charge.

Having to charge close to twice a day sounds anomalous to me.

Reactions: hojx

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Maybe, but still. I prefer my phone to have a shorter battery life rather than having an insanely slow phone
The throttling has nothing to do with battery life, its to do with current. When the battery begins to degrade, it becomes incapable of supplying the same level of current as it can when its new, meaning the processor won't get enough juice to function while under load, and thus the whole system shuts down to prevent irreversible damage to the components.

Anyone who's ever overclocked their own PC will understand the concept. Unfortunately, most regular people won't have experienced this, and whilst I can understand their frustration when all they see is "my phone is slower", most aren't understanding the simple science behind it.

You can have a phone that runs slower, but still runs, or a phone that powers off every time you open a heavy app because the CPU isn't getting enough power to function. Cant have it both ways.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Not bad here

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 10.20.54 AM.png

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
PNW
The throttling has nothing to do with battery life, its to do with current. When the battery begins to degrade, it becomes incapable of supplying the same level of current as it can when its new, meaning the processor won't get enough juice to function while under load, and thus the whole system shuts down to prevent irreversible damage to the components.

Anyone who's ever overclocked their own PC will understand the concept. Unfortunately, most regular people won't have experienced this, and whilst I can understand their frustration when all they see is "my phone is slower", most aren't understanding the simple science behind it.

You can have a phone that runs slower, but still runs, or a phone that powers off every time you open a heavy app because the CPU isn't getting enough power to function. Cant have it both ways.

Thanks for this easy-to-understand explanation!

Having the choice to decide either path should be mine to make. Apple’s denial of throttling is in itself an issue and has led to reduced confidence in what Apple says. It has captured my company’s IT deptartment’s attention.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Thanks for this easy-to-understand explanation!

Having the choice to decide either path should be mine to make. Apple’s denial of throttling is in itself an issue and has led to reduced confidence in what Apple says. It has captured my company’s IT deptartment’s attention.
What do you mean about Apple's denial about of throttling? When did they do that?

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
It’s that high because iOS 11 is going to end up destroying all the batteries on older phones with crazy battery drain which Apple doesn’t want to fix because they want everyone of em to upgrade.

Only, the OP’s phone was on iOS 10 for a full year and is on iOS 11 for perhaps three months -unless the OP was running Betas but I doubt it. So you’re not making any sense.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX

So a battery at 80% of its original capacity merits cpu throttling under iOS 11? Why was this unnecessary for earlier iOS versions? A battery will degrade slightly with every cycle, but for it to cause system shutdowns at 80% seems a bit wrong. I might be wrong. Might be worthwhile to visit http://batteryuniversity.com . Perhaps they have some relevant information.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
iPhone 7 Plus exactly one year old.

Run the test with all apps closed after a reboot

Attachments

• 726E69CF-7D96-4EE4-9506-6B70130B9DC8.png
    726E69CF-7D96-4EE4-9506-6B70130B9DC8.png
    348 KB · Views: 184

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
What do you mean about Apple's denial about of throttling? When did they do that?

Let’s call it creeping. Apple sneakily introduce performance impairing code to user devices with the assumption no one would notice.

Whatever we call it I’m going with my hunch you knew exactly what the above poster was alluding too. Denial or Non disclosure of crucial information, both, but either or’ have a ring of shady practice. Don’t you think?

Last edited:

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
PNW

Our IT people got a run around when they went through their channels and recently the Genius Bar tech's at my local (and huge) Apple store denied it. I understand why Apple has the power management feature in the iOS, but they're facing huge criticism for not being more transparent about it.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Since 11.2 Apple decided to throttle my iPhone 7 by 50%. I’m seriously pi**ed. My iPhone is only slightly over one year old. This is totally unacceptable. Anyone else experiencing this with their iPhone 7s? What can I do?

iOS 11.2.1 result below

View attachment 743140

iOS 11.0.3 result below

View attachment 743139
Restarted your device and benchmark again. It made a difference for me.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
so if battery current is an issue as they claim, what happens when the benchmark is run with it plugged in? Still slow?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Our IT people got a run around when they went through their channels and recently the Genius Bar tech's at my local (and huge) Apple store denied it. I understand why Apple has the power management feature in the iOS, but they're facing huge criticism for not being more transparent about it.

Was this before this all came out or after? If the former, It’s possible retail employees were as in the dark as customers.

They aren’t privy to the latest info. Also possible most of engineering wasn’t aware since Apple is so compartmentalized (and secretive, that goes without say)

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
PNW
Was this before this all came out or after? If the former, It’s possible retail employees were as in the dark as customers.

They aren’t privy to the latest info. Also possible most of engineering wasn’t aware since Apple is so compartmentalized (and secretive, that goes without say)

I believe IT started to catch wind about this through their own "secretive channels." ;) I visited the Apple store soon after.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It’s unfortunately 85% with 725 cycles. I’ve read that they only replace batteries for free that are 80% or below and under 500 cycles. So I guess I’m out of luck. I just can’t accept that my 1 year old phone runs slower than a new iPhone 5s :/

725 cycles in 1 year? That would mean almost everyday you drained and charged your iPhone twice. Did you do that?

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
Mine is solid. But still on 10.3.3 IMG_2581.PNG
[doublepost=1514088999][/doublepost]I don't have a mac. Just the phone. Can I run coconut battery? I'd like to see those numbers.

Thanks in advance

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I find it odd that the first two posters here both posted “before” and “after” screenshots here where both the battery percentage AND the time stamp are EXCACTLY the same in before and after... yet they claim to have updated the OS between images. How is this possible?
[doublepost=1514090254][/doublepost]
I find it odd that the first two posters here both posted “before” and “after” screenshots here where both the battery percentage AND the time stamp are EXCACTLY the same in before and after... yet they claim to have updated the OS between images. How is this possible?
Nevermind. I get it now. They must have screenshotted both test results at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.