Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
One could always ... "look out the window" ... "listen to music" ... "talk to others in the car" ...

I don't know... "live life" and not stare at your bloody device every nano second?

Just an idea..
Big fan of all of the above, but there are still times when you might want to read to pass the time. As a sufferer of motion sickness, I 100% cannot read a book on a bus or in a car* without feeling nauseous and something that fixed that would be most welcome.

* Strangely enough, the motion of a plane or a train doesn't really cause any issues. Not sure if others have the same experience, but I wonder if it's the axis of motion that does it. Trains and planes jostle, but they don't turn the way road vehicles do.

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Always thought my wife was kidding me when she couldn't google the next gas station while I was driving. Passenger seat motion sickness is a real thing?

Reactions: BeefCake 15

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
One could always ... "look out the window" ... "listen to music" ... "talk to others in the car" ...

I don't know... "live life" and not stare at your bloody device every nano second?

Just an idea..
Seriously? On a really long drive, and as a passenger, sometimes it's nice to be able to read a book or watch a movie or something. For a lot of people (myself included) that's either a non-starter, or can only be done for a short period of time before getting car sick. Do you tell people on Airplanes to not watch a movie or read a book or what not - that they should "live life?"

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I don’t understand why they will focus time and resources on this but not on fixing PWM in these OLED displays. The flickering is causing way more sick feeling than anything else. Please, Apple, stop using PWM
Luckily, this doesn’t bother me. It seems like it does bother a lot of people and can be reduced/fixed. I don’t know why it gets ignored.

Reactions: kerplunknet

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Oh no, this is gonna kickstart the 8GB RAM debate again.
8gb-of-ram-used-to-be-enough-v0-o4immm2vbe0d1.jpeg

jmonster

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
This has to be one of the things they learned during development of the car project. Glad to see they are shipping some of their ideas. Can’t wait to try this on the iPad.
I was thinking Vision Pro since VR sickness is a product killing issue

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
What an achievement. While you are driving you can now use your phone without getting sick. If you are being driven, you can look at a screen without getting sick. The result is increased screen time. While yet another app on THE SAME phone helps you to reduce it.

Btw, where do you turn off that message where the same phone tells you “Looks like you’re driving. You shouldn’t use your phone right now.”?

Think about that 5 levels deep. Or 2 for heaven’s sake.

Does that feature come to WatchOS and CarOS as well? Just to make sure you get your screen time reps in.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Obviously this isn’t meant for drivers.
But it's going to be used by drivers.... I rather have Apple invest in ways to make it so that people are less distracted by their phone while being behind the wheel.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
I was thinking Vision Pro since VR sickness is a product killing issue
Had the PSVR, got motion sickness fairly quickly. Have the PSVR2 and can play significantly longer. Tried Vision Pro this past weekend and had zero issues. The tech is getting better. Now they have to work on red the cost.

What an achievement. While you are driving you can now use your phone without getting sick. If you are being driven, you can look at a screen without getting sick. The result is increased screen time. While yet another app on THE SAME phone helps you to reduce it.

Btw, where do you turn off that message where the same phone tells you “Looks like you’re driving. You shouldn’t use your phone right now.”?

Think about that 5 levels deep. Or 2 for heaven’s sake.

Does that feature come to WatchOS and CarOS as well? Just to make sure you get your screen time reps in.
It would be an achievement if my wife was able to read incoming messages while I was driving, or figuring out where we were stopping for the night, or getting gas, or meal. Not every interaction on the road is to play Candy Crush.

Reactions: mrBeach

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
People get motion sickness looking at iPhone screens without even being in a car. Apple needs to get rid of technology like pwm and temporal dithering, not add even more crap to the mix.
A fix for people affected by motion sickness in a moving car does not have anything to do with pwm. Two separate issues.

rbramseyjr

macrumors member
May 23, 2017
atlanta
as the only one in my family who isn't affected by this, i never understood it growing up. driving up to visit extended family in NC or going down to FL for vacations were when i'd tuck into novels and get lost in the worlds of harry potter, redwall, and narnia. reading absolutely made my sister and mother queasy and my dad get a headache.

i'm glad this exists now to help those who need it. screens aren't just for binging shows. hopefully this sparks more than a few young kid's appreciation for reading.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
as the only one in my family who isn't affected by this, i never understood it growing up. driving up to visit extended family in NC or going down to FL for vacations were when i'd tuck into novels and get lost in the worlds of harry potter, redwall, and narnia. reading absolutely made my sister and mother queasy and my dad get a headache.

i'm glad this exists now to help those who need it. screens aren't just for binging shows. hopefully this sparks more than a few young kid's appreciation for reading.
If Apple really cared about the reading experience, why would they not invest in e-paper technology?
This is all marketing junk. Apple's displays cause motion sickness for people even when standing still.

• Disagree
Reactions: rbramseyjr

Da_Shiznit

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2021

Just an idea..
Yes, but if I am in car with someone for several hours and I want to read up on the news for a quick minute because I don't feel like talking. Then I guess it's nice my motion sickness won't get the better of me.

Reactions: mrBeach
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.